RECENT CREMATORIUM BECOMES B&B-WOULD YOU WANT TO KNOW?

barkley

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>If I ever have a
is it something you would want to know before considering booking? i ask b/c i recently read on a fb post about the decades long funeral home/crematorium in my old home town becoming a costly b&b so i went to the b&b website to take a look at what i imagined HAD to have been major renovations only to find that while 'yeah' they did some work on the place-the guest rooms are easily recognizable to anyone who attended a service there as the old viewing rooms:scared: the actual prep room/crematorium area looks from the photos as though it was converted into a kitchen/buffet area on one side and a large outdoor patio w/a gas bbq on the other:scared::scared:. the area where the hearses would drop off/pick up has been landscaped to appear to be a covered courtyard (still retains the old double doors w/a straight shot to what is now the breakfast buffet area).

i GET that building usage can transition over time, esp. older historical buildings but this place was in full scale operation as recently as 8 years ago (last time our family used them) and there's not a mention of it's history on any of the marketing (except what i perceive as a poorly worded mention that it the new owners saw potential to the historic building and 'dusted it off' to create the b&b). i have to imagine that some guests might be very disturbed to learn during or after the fact where they slept, and esp. where they were sitting to dine.

I bet it will be mentioned in the history of the building on the website. I think it's great that it is being used instead of sitting empty. And it will be cleaned to Food & hotel standards.

Kae

As long as it's been properly cleaned and such, I wouldn't care. I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, souls, or anything like that so it wouldn't bother me one bit.
Having worked in funeral service, my bet is it would have always been impeccably clean - it's the smell I'd need to be sure was completely gong. :rolleyes1 The smell of an active crematorium defies description and once you know what it is, you'll never mistake it for anything else.

I actually think this place has a good shot at success. There are lots of people with a bit of a morbid streak that are fascinated by things like this. Maybe they should have actually played-up the mortuary aspect and gotten listed on one of those "dark-tourism" websites!

I bet it will be mentioned in the history of the building on the website. I think it's great that it is being used instead of sitting empty. And it will be cleaned to Food & hotel standards.

Kae

nope-not one mention. just says "a re-imagined historic building". they seem to explain away the very small bedrooms (prior private viewing rooms) by calling them 'european style'.

i think what really skeeves me out is the choice in the public dining area/bbq patio decor-they could have gone with a wealth of styles but opted for the same stainless steel look that would have been in there for it's previous use.

There are lots of people with a bit of a morbid streak that are fascinated by things like this. Maybe they should have actually played-up the mortuary aspect and gotten listed on one of those "dark-tourism" websites!

I AGREE-and it's not like the area doesn't have some tourism for that purpose but this place seems not to want to go that direction.

I’d want to know only because I know I wouldn’t get a proper night sleep there. I have a tendency to be able to pick up on some spirits so it would be interesting to say the least.

As long as it's been properly cleaned and such, I wouldn't care. I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, souls, or anything like that so it wouldn't bother me one bit.
I am guessing most people here will respond like this based on previous threads about ghosts and spirits.

Me? I'd want to know. I might visit, but doubt I'd want to spend the night there. I don't mind a friendly ghost or two, but a place like this has the potential to have a lot of untoward spirits, too, and for that, I'd pass.

If I knew, I wouldn't be bothered by sleeping there but there is no way I could sit and eat in that dining room.
My mind would be preoccupied with all the prepping that went on in there and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my stay.

I am guessing most people here will respond like this based on previous threads about ghosts and spirits.

Me? I'd want to know. I might visit, but doubt I'd want to spend the night there. I don't mind a friendly ghost or two, but a place like this has the potential to have a lot of untoward spirits, too, and for that, I'd pass.

i guess my thing on it is for those who would have issue with it learning about it after arriving in the area. this is a place that's charging around $500 per nite during low end season/mid week which is not out of the norm for the area. showing up to learn about it and not having any other available lodging options (very common esp. during high season/weekends/events) could put someone in a bad situation. at best, if any local lodging was available they could be looking at several hundreds more per night. it's not like someone is'nt going to find out once they arrive, check in and start walking around the area adjacent to the property-the minute they mention where they are staying to any of the locals or at one of the many nearby eateries they will hear the property refereed to by the name it held for over 100 years.

So they moved the gas bbq outside...

yup. but on an interesting note-the next over city has a funeral home with a bbq area that was put in as part of it's marketing (large community of individuals who have the practice of more of an 'open house' feel to funerals complete with catered food and bbq so when the business did a reno many years ago they added the adjacent bbq/bar/open air dining area to attract customers-it worked spectacularly in that community).

I'd want to know, especially because of the dining area. That skeeves me, regardless of how clean it is. I'd also be thinking about Haunting of Hill House and these scenes in the funeral home...

With it being a historical building I'd try to think about the room size being reflective of when it was built. Has the building ONLY ever been used as a funeral home? I lived in a small town in the CA gold country where buildings often had a lengthy history of various uses. When DH and I met he was bartending in a historical building that had been converted to a B&B/resturnat, where the bar had once been the surgical room/morgue. It's 150+ year history (at that time) included being the town newspaper office, hospital, jail and courtroom complete with hanging tree out front, morgue, and B&B with dining.

Sure I'd like to know (so I could avoud it lol) but also ignorance is bliss. Not much you can do anyway unless you want to purposely sabotage this new business by spreading this news far and wide.

I imagine if enough guests complain, the ownerd may change their marketing strategy a bit. I don't necessarily blame them for not wanting to broadcast that it used to be a crematorium - that has the tendency to skeeve people out.

I wouldn't care at all. An funeral home wanted to put a crematorium in. They are near a school and the locals freaked out and put an end to it. It is a shame it was struck down. Now we have to go miles away if we want to cremate a body.

I wouldn't care at all. An funeral home wanted to put a crematorium in. They are near a school and the locals freaked out and put an end to it. It is a shame it was struck down. Now we have to go miles away if we want to cremate a body.

There's a funeral home with crematorium right across the street from my work. Absolutely zero impact on the surrounding area. Sometimes there's some smoke, that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts