Recommendations for FRS radios with Vibrate Alert

GoofyDad1

Earning My Ears
I'm Looking to buy a pair of radios for our upcoming trip to WDW. I thought the ones with the Vibrate Alert feature would be good to have so that the "beep" wouldn't disturb others during shows, etc.

I just bought a Uniden set at BestBuy for $40 that has the vibrate feature. I tested it out at home and was a bit disappointed. The vibration effect was almost unnoticeable unless you were holding it in your hand.

Has anyone had any experiences/recommendations?

We bought the same radios. For the price they are the best. We spent more money on some of the others Best Buy had and have taken them back. The power saver on the one we took back was horrible. We never got the whole message for each other. Luckily my husband used them to go hunting with his brother before our Disney trip this Sat. We took them back and bought the ones you got. They took them hunting and they worked great.

As far as the vibrating, maybe you could keep the volume soft so that only you and maybe the person next to you could hear it. These radios are great, we especially liked the fact that you could clip them on instead of just putting them in your pocket.

COBRA MICROTALK 3 is the way to go. We use 'em at amusement parks, hunting, on cruises etc. They're not cheap, around $89.00,(each, not per pair),but worth every penny. At the time they were purchased, they were the only brand that had the vibrate function. (which is necessary when you hunt) They have 14 channels and 32 sub-channels,and they are water-resistant, and built pretty tough. I've had mine for at least 3 yrs and they still work well. I also bought a "cheap" pair of Uniden radios, in the $40.00-$50.00 dollar per pair range, and I got what I paid for. One of 'em broke, and the other one sounds terrible...

I concur - Cobra Microtalk 3 is the best unit. Another reason is that they are the only unit with a water-resistant battery compartment - important IMO.

I would also suggest that you invest in the desktop charger and NiCad batteries. Many FRS radios can burn through regular batteries like crazy.

You can find some good deals on the net instead of retail.

I've had Motorola's since the FRS frequ's were released. VERY rugged, and tough to beat for the value.

Their newest ones, the "T6300" family, have some extra features that no one else has.
-They have a "scamble" feature, above the normal channel/ privacy code.
-Also, if both (all) of your radios are in the T6300 series, you can "blank out" everyone who doesn't have one.

The vibrate is STRONG. I clip mine to my fanny pack (not the belt) and can feel it there when I'm called.
They have optional "call" tones, AND a "roger" tone you can turn on to tell people you are done transmitting.

The full-feature models will runn around $100. But they have smaller versions, still including everything I listed above, for lots less. I just grabbed one at Costco for $50! Bright yellow, and very pockets sized.

That's great news!

One question though...we don't have a Costco here. Is it a WalMart type store or a Membership Warehouse?

Much like a SAM's club - a memebership warehouse.

The radios aren't TOO much more expensive outside the club, maybe $10 more.

And OUTSIDE the club you can find a wider selection of colors.

Cobra Microtalk3- you can choose vibration (very strong), ring or both at the same time. I also like the fact that the antenna folds down. It fits better in the fanny pack.

we are also interested in taking w/t when we go on our trip in dec . can anyone tell me of any web links.thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter