Recovering From Surgery-Broken Fibula and Ankle

tash439

Mouseketeer
I am recovering from surgery to repair my left fibula and ankle after a fall. Myself and DH leave for Disney on August 30th and I will either still be in my walking boot or just out of it and into a brace and sneaker. We rented me an ECV, which I was reluctant about, but realized quickly that I won't have the stamina or a strong enough ankle to withstand walking 8+ miles each day in the parks. I understand that this trip will be a lot different than our normal trips and will be filled with lots of rest periods. What else should I be concerned with as far as certain rides to avoid? Also, any tips on maneuvering the ECV for a first time driver through the busy parks, getting on buses, ect...

Thanks!

Hugs...I don't have any advice but to let you know that you aren't alone. I get a boot tomorrow after almost 5 weeks in a cast from foot surgery. We're headed down Monday and I've done all the things that you have done. I'm packing extra patience.

I am so sorry this happened to you and I hope you heal fast As fair as ride it will depend on you and what you can do take your time with getting into and out of rides maybe bring a cain for extra support

Since you have not had an ECV before take some time to go to your local big box store ( target Walmart) and use one of there ECV ( they are normally much bigger then the ones you get off site place at Disney and please do rent off site)

When you get to Disney take some time to drive your ECV around the resort where it is not as crowded to get a feel of the one you have

Go slow until you get the hang of things

Unless you are full weight-bearing, bring a cane for the (typically short) walk between the ECV and the ride vehicle.

Also, before you practice on a retail store scooter, please be sure they have a good supply available. My local Wal-Mart and Target each have only two. I know people recommend test driving in a store, but that should be more for deciding whether to rent. Practicing is better suited for the actual rental.

If you are in a brace, bring along some moleskin in case you get sweat/hot spots anywhere where it could rub. Sweaty skin in August can cause a rash, and the rash can degrade and be very painful. Also be prepared to change your socks frequently if they get sweaty.

Remember that the EVC does not have brakes. The vehicle stops smoothly when you release the throttle.

Have your husband walk ahead of you as a crowd breaker and then you don't have to worry about running into a stranger--you can run into your hubby instead!

Take the key when you leave the vehicle.

Turn off the vehicle when waiting in lines, unless the line is moving constantly (saves the battery)

Take every opportunity to charge the battery!

Pick up the special guide map at the entrance to each park that lists how ECVs enter queues.

Bring a colorful bandanna to mark the ECV as yours.

Bring a cheap shower cap (clear plastic) to cover the controls when rainy.

Bring a car shammy or washcloth to wipe down the seat if it gets wet (some ECVs have a seat that folds forward to protect the seat--fold it forward if parked in the sun to avoid the painfully hot seat when you return)

As for getting on the buses, you will load first and please do tell the driver that this is your first time. They are very helpful and knowledgeable in how to get the ECV onto the bus. The rest of your family will board after you are in place. Depending on the ECV, you may be able to be seatbelted in place and you can stay on the unit. Otherwise, you can take a seat as normal. You will be offloaded last, after the other passengers have exited. If possible, try to either leave the parks early before the huge exodus from the parks after closing, or be one of the last people out of the parks. This is to help avoid the ECV build up at the buses. Since each bus can only take 2 ECVs, you may be waiting a long time for a bus at the end of the night.

At MK and Hollywood Studios, watch out for for the curbs on Main Street.

Don't forget the sunscreen for your upper legs (if you wear shorts)--that area will get more sun than usual!

Speak to your doctor about what might help--ice? Advil? Elevation? Remember that each park has a first aid center where you can go for a rest if needed.

But most importantly, please don't worry about what anyone else might be thinking. Take your time getting on the buses and in and out of ride vehicles, and have fun!

Thank you all for all the tips! I am full weight bearing in my boot and will possibly be in an ankle brace by the time we leave for Disney. is there a place to park the ECV at each ride and at the stores and such? I'll be totally fine walking thru the ride lines and in stores. My doctor wanted me to have the ECV mainly for navigating through the parks each day. We both know that I won't have the stamina to make it an entire week walking that much each day. Also, can I park it outside of restaurants? We have been to Disney a lot, but I guess I can't remember seeing where people parked there ECVs since I wasn't concerned with one until now!

Thank you all for all the tips! I am full weight bearing in my boot and will possibly be in an ankle brace by the time we leave for Disney. is there a place to park the ECV at each ride and at the stores and such? I'll be totally fine walking thru the ride lines and in stores. My doctor wanted me to have the ECV mainly for navigating through the parks each day. We both know that I won't have the stamina to make it an entire week walking that much each day. Also, can I park it outside of restaurants? We have been to Disney a lot, but I guess I can't remember seeing where people parked there ECVs since I wasn't concerned with one until now!
Quite a few people park the ECV and walk around a land or area. You should see "parking lots" around, but you can always ask a CM near one of the attractions. Same for restaurants--just ask the best place to park it and see if you can plug in as well. Shops are harder as they tend to be right in the middle of a walk way (I am thinking about Hollywood Studios and MK).

You might want to bring the ECV into the Soarin' line as it is 1/4 mile in and a 1/4 mile out again. There is an elevator opposite Garden Grill to get you to the lower level (tip: back in up top so you can easily exit the elevator at the crowded bottom level).

Take every opportunist to charge the battery
Please! Check with the rental company before doing this!!!!!

A properly charged (overnight) scooter should not need to be topped off; more importantly, topping off/charging the battery at every opportunity can damage the battery!!
As for getting on the buses, you will load first and please do tell the driver that this is your first time.
Yeah, maybe up to the third or fourth time ;)

I also just had surgery for a fractured and dislocated bone in my ankle. Had the cast and I am in the boot now. I will be at DW in a week. I definitely recommend bringing your compression socks. Especially on the plane ride. I’m assuming your circulation is not back to normal yet. It will also help with the swelling after a day in the parks. Also pack a gallon size ziplock bag to use for Making an ice pack to help with swelling. Ask for extra pillows, so that you can prop your leg up when you get back to the hotel.
I had a few close calls on the ecv I used while shopping. So if you can practice at the hotel I definitely recommend it.
Good luck and have a great time!

I dislocated my knee and dislocated and fractured my ankle just over three weeks ago. Fibula fracture with a small fracture on the other side. Only fibula required surgery for plate and screws. We just cancelled our Nov cruise and WDW trip. We were going to take the Auto Train down and back. My orthopedic surgeon never said I "couldn't go" but that I wouldn't enjoy it. It takes a while and PT to get motion and stamina back. We rescheduled for next Nov. We are using insurance for the two week cruise (b2b) and have WDW tickets (military promotion) that we can trade up for next year. Everything else was cancelled with no loss. I can't imagine going and really enjoying the entire trip so we'd rather wait a year. I will be at about 10 weeks post break (8.5 post surgery) on the day we were to leave, but it was a pretty easy decision to cancel and reschedule for next year. i will say everything I've read (blogs mainly) everyone says how tired they get and how much swelling they get if they overdo and don't elevate the leg so good luck.

I was put in a split right after the break and dislocations were put back in place in the ER and a splint again after surgery. I got a boot last week and stitches come out this Wed and then back in the boot. I was told I can go back to work in about 4 weeks, but I have a desk job which is why he said that, but he also said I'd have to elevate my leg while working. Currently I'm living on the main level of my house in a recliner.

I am recovering from surgery to repair my left fibula and ankle after a fall. Myself and DH leave for Disney on August 30th and I will either still be in my walking boot or just out of it and into a brace and sneaker. We rented me an ECV, which I was reluctant about, but realized quickly that I won't have the stamina or a strong enough ankle to withstand walking 8+ miles each day in the parks. I understand that this trip will be a lot different than our normal trips and will be filled with lots of rest periods. What else should I be concerned with as far as certain rides to avoid? Also, any tips on maneuvering the ECV for a first time driver through the busy parks, getting on buses, ect...

Thanks!

I have the exact same injury and my timing will be about the same - trip is coming right at the 3 month mark since I broke it so, if all goes well, I’ll be in the boot or walking. Also reluctantly accepted that I need to get a scooter. Would you mind letting me know how it goes for you at the parks or if you encounter any particular difficult situations or rides to avoid? Good luck and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!