Recovery Drinks

crewmatt

DIS Veteran
So, years ago I found a recovery drink at MCM (and around the DC area) called reGen. I really liked the taste, it was shelf stable, good texture. And I will say it helped cut down on the cravings after the longer runs and made the soreness the next day noticeably better. The company that made it has since been bought, and the product discontinued. So I used up the last of my supply and now occasionally use chocolate milk if I remember when I get home.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one? I'm not a big fan of muscle milk, or G3 - I've certainly had them and they've hit the spot especially after very long runs or rides, but just don't like the taste. I recently had Organic Valley Protein Shake at the end of a Spartan Race - and I loved that one, and am also a fan of Core Power, but figured it would be a fun topic to discuss.

So, years ago I found a recovery drink at MCM (and around the DC area) called reGen. I really liked the taste, it was shelf stable, good texture. And I will say it helped cut down on the cravings after the longer runs and made the soreness the next day noticeably better. The company that made it has since been bought, and the product discontinued. So I used up the last of my supply and now occasionally use chocolate milk if I remember when I get home.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one? I'm not a big fan of muscle milk, or G3 - I've certainly had them and they've hit the spot especially after very long runs or rides, but just don't like the taste. I recently had Organic Valley Protein Shake at the end of a Spartan Race - and I loved that one, and am also a fan of Core Power, but figured it would be a fun topic to discuss.

I'm a chocolate soy milk guy myself. I'm also lactose intolerant so it works good for me!

Chocolate milk (regular...I don't like what soy does to my hormones).

Or a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte or skinny caramel macchiato.

The protein from the recovery drinks is not good for my gout, so I drink water and eat Chobani Greek yogurt post run. I also like the Zone bars post run. The key is to get enough protein in your diet overall, and to take in about 15-20 grams within an hour of finishing.

I do a blend of some cheap chocolate protein (Body Fortress), half of a banana, and a cup of spinach in a half cup of water with 8-or-so ice cubes.

I will sometimes Drink TrueMoo Protein Plus. Its really milk though so it's not shelf stable.

I love to drink dark chocolate almond milk with Carnation Instant breakfast mixed in. Sooo good.

Endurox R4- fruit punch flavor is awesome. They have other flavors but I never tried them because I like the fruit punch so much. It cuts down on soreness big time.

If you like chocolate milk I highly recommend GU Chocolate Smoothie Recovery mix. Mixed with milk is my favorite post-run beverage.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Protein mixed in skim milk is the recovery drink I use. (I like the Chocolate Malt and the Cookies-n-Cream flavors best!)

For runs over 6 miles I have a pint of whole chocolate milk that I either put on ice or freezer during the run so its really cold. Stuff is amazing and should be required to be passed out at the finish line of every race.

I'm looking forward to a good IPA after the Disney marathon. Being a little OCD, I have the spot and beer already picked out!

If you can find a Nappa Smith Hopaggedon I can't recommend it enough. I found it at the 'Ohana bar in the Poly in the past but on my last trip the only place I saw it available was The Wave. It is much more drinkable then the ABV and IBU might indicate if you aren't normally into high IBU Imperials or DIPAs.

Last edited:
Ill keep an eye out for it when we are at Disney because it does not appear to be shipped to Louisiana. I love hops! Post race beer will be Racer 5 from Bear Republic at Wilderness Lodge. We no longer get them here, so I miss it as it was one of my favorites. The only IPA I did not care much for was Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. That thing took a level of appreciation that I was unable to give it I guess.

The beer truck in the finish area parking lot sells IPA. You don't have to wait to get back to your hotel for one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter