Refillable Bottle and TSA

bookgirl2632

DIS Veteran
We are bringing our refillable water bottles to Disney this time around. I want to pack them in my carry on since we’ll need them when we land. Is there anything I have to do while going through TSA? Obviously, they’ll be empty. Should I unscrew the lids to make that clear? I just want to know what will cause the least hassle.

Just make sure they are empty. The x ray machines can see any liquids in them, so no need to take caps off.

Just make sure they are empty. The x ray machines can see any liquids in them, so no need to take caps off.
I didn’t realize that liquid would show. Great. I’ll pack them in my backpack then. Thanks, everyone!

For anyone who really likes ice water....I freeze water in a water bottle, drink any liquid that may have melted while I'm standing in the security line, then have not had a problem going through security with the bottle of ice. I'll add water on the other side of security. I don't have any kids, or anything that would make me forget to empty the liquid though.

We've travelled twice with refillable water bottles and though ours were foldable ones the process should still be the same---just make sure they are empty.

There is a spot where you can empty your refillable bottle in the middle of the line for security at MCO. It encouraged you to take your empty so you could refill it on the other side. I saw this Sunday, heading for gates 1-59. Never noticed it before. (Last flew through MCO in late November.)

There was nothing about lids, I agree with others that you can keep the lid on.

just at MCO and YES there is new signage about/encouraging re-using water bottles ....

EMPTY here .... refill after security .....

For anyone who really likes ice water....I freeze water in a water bottle, drink any liquid that may have melted while I'm standing in the security line, then have not had a problem going through security with the bottle of ice. I'll add water on the other side of security. I don't have any kids, or anything that would make me forget to empty the liquid though.
Yeah...don't do this. Ice is water and WILL be pulled.
If they can't get the ice out of the bottle, you will loose the bottle too.

Take the bottle empty and ask nicely at one of the restaurants on the other side if you can get some ice (if you really must have ice water)

Take the bottle empty and ask nicely at one of the restaurants on the other side if you can get some ice (if you really must have ice water)
You can bring a bottle of water so long as it is iced over and solid at that point. Melting will cause liquid of course and would be counted as different.

Yes ice is water but that isn't the point

In reality I don't know how often people can keep a bottled water frozen over enough to pass through TSA but they do allow it.

A bottle of FROZEN water is not (at that time or state) liquid. It is solid, and as such, SHOULD be permitted through.

Full disclosure, I work for TSA...

Sorry, I'm from the great white north and our TSA (CATSA) doesn't allow ice in carry-on if it's over 100ml.
Was told Canadian rules were based on the US ones, guess not to the letter.
Sorry again for the mis-info (unless you are coming down from Canada, I guess)

Why not just pack them empty in your checked baggage? How much water can you possibly drink at the airport before your flight? Seems like one less thing to drag through the airport.

Why not just pack them empty in your checked baggage? How much water can you possibly drink at the airport before your flight? Seems like one less thing to drag through the airport.
I don’t necessarily need them for the airport. I need them when we land and get to our Disney resort. Since Disney picks up our luggage, packing them in my checked bag won’t work. I’d like to have our bottles since we are going to the park after checking in.

I like to have my own water bottle on the plane. I fill it once through security. Sometimes if there is turbulence there is no beverage service.

I take a S'Well bottle and even though I am TSA Pre-I do remove it, take off the lid, and put it in one of the small white bins, just so they see it is completely empty. Then before I use it again, I wipe it down with an antibacterial wipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter