>> Refillable Mug FAQ <<

I saw on the first post that you do not need to be staying at a Disney resort to purchase a mug, but does anyone have first hand experience with this?

We stay at Shades of Green and with the number of walks I take over to the Poly for Dole Whips, getting a refillable mug for my dad may be an option to consider.

Hi guys

I have a split stay coming up 4+3 days. I'm thinking about getting the DDP for the last part. As the mugs are LOS Is there anyway I can get the mugs when my vacation starts and not pay for them twice?

Hi guys

I have a split stay coming up 4+3 days. I'm thinking about getting the DDP for the last part. As the mugs are LOS Is there anyway I can get the mugs when my vacation starts and not pay for them twice?
Probably not. You get the free mug with the dining plan. You don't have a dining plan for the first part. Do your dining plan for the first part and you get the mugs for the entire stay.

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered already, there are a lot of pages!

About how long has Disney been using the mugs with a chip in them? My fiance and I went in January 2016 and got a mug, is it still possible to use it when we go back in October 2017?

About how long has Disney been using the mugs with a chip in them? My fiance and I went in January 2016 and got a mug, is it still possible to use it when we go back in October 2017?

This thread was started in 2015 with questions being asked about the chip early on.

Your January 2016 mug can likely be renewed (same cost as buying a new mug but without the environmental impact) as long as you haven't microwaved it. I'd bring it and see. If it can't be renewed it's same cost and you get a new mug.

This thread was started in 2015 with questions being asked about the chip early on.

Your January 2016 mug can likely be renewed (same cost as buying a new mug but without the environmental impact) as long as you haven't microwaved it. I'd bring it and see. If it can't be renewed it's same cost and you get a new mug.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the information! I don't think I even considered bringing the old one since we were planning to get a new one while we were there. Guess it is worth a shot! Thanks again!

The chipped mugs have a time limit. If you have a mug that the chip still works, you could use it again, but you'll have to pay the full price of a new mug to do so. No more free refills for life (but they didn't have those anyway).

The chipped mugs have a time limit. If you have a mug that the chip still works, you could use it again, but you'll have to pay the full price of a new mug to do so. No more free refills for life (but they didn't have those anyway).
I guess free refills for life would be too good to be true haha. My guess is that the chip in ours will be out by the time we go back. Just an excuse to get a new one!

I guess free refills for life would be too good to be true haha. My guess is that the chip in ours will be out by the time we go back. Just an excuse to get a new one!
The RFID chips in the cups don't expire as such, they are programmed to dispense drinks for a limited period. Provided the chip is still readable it can be reprogrammed for another period. As people have said, that is provided you haven't microwaved the chip and it will cost you the same amount as a new mug to reprogramme at the resort shop.
I don't know if anyone has any official news on how long a chip should live?

For me as a Brit, I wouldn't normally take an existing cup back simply because it'll take up some of my limited luggage allowance. If Disney were to demonstrate longevity of the chip and discount the reprogramming for return visits, I'd certainly consider reusing one.

I don't know if this has already been asked (60 pages), but do they have an alternative in-park mug option like Universal's All-Day Refillable Cups? In the park is where I would need it.

Does anyone know whether the RFID chips in the mugs are 'active' (have their own power source) or 'passive' (the device reading it radiates the power)?
It would rationalise the longevity debate. I'm led to believe active chips would last between 1-3 years and assume a passive one would, in theory, last forever.

Just wondering . . . to the refillable mug stations have open/closed hours or are they accessible 24/7? (Just want to know if I want something to drink in the middle of the night or super early in the morning before going to rope drop, can I go there?)

Does anyone know whether the RFID chips in the mugs are 'active' (have their own power source) or 'passive' (the device reading it radiates the power)?
It would rationalise the longevity debate. I'm led to believe active chips would last between 1-3 years and assume a passive one would, in theory, last forever.

Since they are only read at a short distance, there's no reason to require power... they are most likely the same sort of chips that go into a keyfob or access card used to enter an office building (or in your credit card).

Should last indefinitely if taken care of... but dishwashers and microwaves probably kill their fair share.

I wonder if anyone has ever transplanted the chip into their own personal beverage container? Might be a cool experiment. You'd still be paying to activate the chip, but you'd get to use your own container without having to lug both around.

Here's a video showing the rfid chips in the paper cups :

Last edited:
hi ,i have a split stay for the first three days i have no dining plan,it seens silly to buy a mug twice so can i bring my own tea bag and use hot water and creamer free?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!