Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know at one point someone said that Pioneer Hall would actually be 'inside' the Reflections 'property boundaries'. Not sure if anyone ever figured out exactly where Reflections would 'end' and the Fort 'begin' in the Settlement area. I figure we'll need a clear delineation so, like the Hatfields' and the McCoys' Tug Fork boundary, "they all can stay on their'un side and we all can stay on us'uns".

I just hope the whole thing stays in mothballs for AGES. I just keep thinking about the hotel that was going to be built right smack dab in the middle of DTD at DLR and then was abruptly cancelled (although not purely for money reasons, more for Anaheim-DLR wrangling reasons). I hope the same thing happens with Reflections.

I know at one point someone said that Pioneer Hall would actually be 'inside' the Reflections 'property boundaries'. Not sure if anyone ever figured out exactly where Reflections would 'end' and the Fort 'begin' in the Settlement area. I figure we'll need a clear delineation so, like the Hatfields' and the McCoys' Tug Fork boundary, "they all can stay on their'un side and we all can stay on us'uns".

I just hope the whole thing stays in mothballs for AGES. I just keep thinking about the hotel that was going to be built right smack dab in the middle of DTD at DLR and then was abruptly cancelled (although not purely for money reasons, more for Anaheim-DLR wrangling reasons). I hope the same thing happens with Reflections.
I hope the scrap it. I could go on an entire rant about why the resort was a bad idea, but to highlight that, it's too close to FW. It will completely ruin the sightlines of the campgrounds, and they need to add space instead of taking away.

Backyard Barbeque.

Also, my picture got deleted by my 2 year old, but was staying across the lake in BLT and could see the mess they've left behind. It is a sore sight from the lake, BLT, and the Contemporary. I'm sure they'll pull an AOA and leave it alone, but man is it bad theming/show.

Backyard Barbeque.

Also, my picture got deleted by my 2 year old, but was staying across the lake in BLT and could see the mess they've left behind. It is a sore sight from the lake, BLT, and the Contemporary. I'm sure they'll pull an AOA and leave it alone, but man is it bad theming/show.

I agree, although I suppose no one could have foreseen the need to abruptly shut down the project. They need to hydro-seed the dirt area and plant trees and shrubs on the borders to camouflage the bald spot from the roads/sightlines. Probably wouldn't help all that much from the higher floors on BLT & the Contemporary, but it would do wonders for the sightlines at Ft W.

I agree, although I suppose no one could have foreseen the need to abruptly shut down the project. They need to hydro-seed the dirt area and plant trees and shrubs on the borders to camouflage the bald spot from the roads/sightlines. Probably wouldn't help all that much from the higher floors on BLT & the Contemporary, but it would do wonders for the sightlines at Ft W.
Honestly, just hydroseeding and putting some grass down will improve it a lot.

Of course seeding-- unless they plan on starting the project back up sooner than later. With Disney you never know.

Of course seeding-- unless they plan on starting the project back up sooner than later. With Disney you never know.
I'm crossing my fingers that the fact they haven't seeded yet means it's not necessarily shelved, just paused? One can hope.

I’m wondering if someone here can answer this question. Is it impossible to get from wilderness lodge to fort wilderness?

I love the idea of DVC rooms at The Fort but I hope they change the theming before they continue with the construction. WL and FW feel outdoorsy and nostalgic and Reflections did not appear to have that vibe. Disney please put in something that is better suited to the area.

I love the idea of DVC rooms at The Fort but I hope they change the theming before they continue with the construction. WL and FW feel outdoorsy and nostalgic and Reflections did not appear to have that vibe. Disney please put in something that is better suited to the area.
Maybe a case of this being "in the eye of the beholder." From the interior concept art floating around, I thought the resort was incredibly well themed - more nature inspired than any other Disney resort I've seen. It also seemed as though Disney was returning to a character-heavy nostalgia throughout. I thought it was actually perfectly suited for the area. :confused3

Maybe a case of this being "in the eye of the beholder." From the interior concept art floating around, I thought the resort was incredibly well themed - more nature inspired than any other Disney resort I've seen. It also seemed as though Disney was returning to a character-heavy nostalgia throughout. I thought it was actually perfectly suited for the area. :confused3

To me it has a very '1970s' vibe with huge triangular windows in an outsized building. Very common in the '70s built homes you see in Tahoe and other lakes. I feel it's just too big for the area and that's NOT my fav style of architecture so I disliked it. Plus FW is very 'low key' and the buildings there are very 'log cabin-ish'. Reflections certainly wouldn't meld in with them very well. But I'm not sure how 'separate' the resorts will be, so perhaps they won't 'intersect'.

As far as more nature inspired, although it's HUGE too, Wildnerness Lodge is based on the 'Parkitecture' style of many of the great lodges of our National Parks, such as Old Faithful Inn or Crater Lake Lodge. THOSE are beautiful buildings an very suited to the setting.

To me it has a very '1970s' vibe with huge triangular windows in an outsized building. Very common in the '70s built homes you see in Tahoe and other lakes. I feel it's just too big for the area and that's NOT my fav style of architecture so I disliked it. Plus FW is very 'low key' and the buildings there are very 'log cabin-ish'. Reflections certainly wouldn't meld in with them very well. But I'm not sure how 'separate' the resorts will be, so perhaps they won't 'intersect'.

As far as more nature inspired, although it's HUGE too, Wildnerness Lodge is based on the 'Parkitecture' style of many of the great lodges of our National Parks, such as Old Faithful Inn or Crater Lake Lodge. THOSE are beautiful buildings an very suited to the setting.
Yes the size and density makes it difficult to add the character that say poly, WL and AKL have. It could be done but Disney more about making $ rather then a resort experience now.

It would be great if they re imagined the project and did something more like the poly layout. and incorporate native (first) american longhouse and other cultural elements (not the Hollywood type)

Last edited:

Yes, you could be right about the exterior of the buildings themselves. I've been to Old Faithful Inn as well as Wilderness Lodge and the log style is beautiful.

I wondered, though, if you've seen any of the interior concept art? I wasn't sold on Reflections until I saw the art of the interiors - this is what gave it the true "nature" feel to me and looked to be so well themed.

I'
Yes, you could be right about the exterior of the buildings themselves. I've been to Old Faithful Inn as well as Wilderness Lodge and the log style is beautiful.

I wondered, though, if you've seen any of the interior concept art? I wasn't sold on Reflections until I saw the art of the interiors - this is what gave it the true "nature" feel to me and looked to be so well themed.

I've seen some and they are not to my taste. The ones I saw were just not 'lake-like'. They reminded me more of the old long-gone Catskills summer resorts like the now demolished Grossinger's. I didn't see much nature in the decor. Being as WDW is on the east coast, maybe that's the vibe they were going for, IDK. I'd prefer a more rustic nature-inspired decor. I get that they may not want to do a 'repeat performance' of WL, but there must be another 'take' they could do on a woods/lake theme that's a bit more in keeping with a property that's between WL and FtW.

I'

I've seen some and they are not to my taste. The ones I saw were just not 'lake-like'. They reminded me more of the old long-gone Catskills summer resorts like the now demolished Grossinger's. I didn't see much nature in the decor. Being as WDW is on the east coast, maybe that's the vibe they were going for, IDK. I'd prefer a more rustic nature-inspired decor. I get that they may not want to do a 'repeat performance' of WL, but there must be another 'take' they could do on a woods/lake theme that's a bit more in keeping with a property that's between WL and FtW.

Reflections is more prairie style architecture, quite common in the Midwest as Frank Lloyd Wright kicked off the movement in Chicago.

Disney already has rustic with WL and FW. Thrilled they were going another route with Reflections. It is reminiscent of the prairie style we see here in the Midwest. Whether you’re a fan of the architecture or not, it’s connection to and focus nature is a main component. Prairie style has been around lakes and forests in the Midwest for 120 years.

I’d buy an add on at Reflections in a minute. I hope it’s back on the table again in the coming years.

It really amazes me how many people actually would prefer a rotting abanadoned water park be there over a new resort.

Last edited:
It really amazes me how many people actually would prefer a rotting abanadoned water park be there over a new resort.

I think, in general, if you are a fan of Ft. Wilderness, you just don't want a resort sitting on top of you. I have no problem with the resort or architecture or getting rid of River Country's remains, despite my fond memories of the place. But the way they situated Reflections didn't make me happy at all. It was ridiculous to park it that close and completely against the vibe of Fort Wilderness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter