Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, in general, if you are a fan of Ft. Wilderness, you just don't want a resort sitting on top of you. I have no problem with the resort or architecture or getting rid of River Country's remains, despite my fond memories of the place. But the way they situated Reflections didn't make me happy at all. It was ridiculous to park it that close and completely against the vibe of Fort Wilderness.

I am not being snarky, I’m truly trying to understand as someone who only visits FW for Hoop De Doo and Tri Circle D.

Do you also have problems that people at Polynesian can see Grand Floridian? Or that people at Yacht Club can see the Boardwalk? It is interesting to me that FW seems to have this exception where it needs to be completely immersive.

Even Wilderness Lodge’s construction had FW naysayers back in the day.

I’m not here to argue about it, just trying to understand better.

I am not being snarky, I’m truly trying to understand as someone who only visits FW for Hoop De Doo and Tri Circle D.

Do you also have problems that people at Polynesian can see Grand Floridian? Or that people at Yacht Club can see the Boardwalk? It is interesting to me that FW seems to have this exception where it needs to be completely immersive.

I’m not a fort purist by any means, but I think it’s just the proximity and the clash of themes that had people upset. I’ve only been to the fort once and it’s just so...quiet. It’s very isolated from everything else and I can see the appeal for those trying to get away from the madness and crowds of the rest of property, and how plopping a resort right on top of the settlement area would take away from that

Nah. I get it. Resorts can be seen from one another. You can see the Contemporary from The Fort. That's not the problem. The problem is Reflections literally sits on top of Fort Wilderness. They had to move parts of Fort Wilderness to make it work. That's how close they are. Plus, Fort Wilderness isn't a hotel. It's a campground in nature. How does that work with a resort looming over the top?

I'm not saying I don't go to urban campgrounds, because we do at places like the beach where location is more important than natural beauty, but the point of Fort WILDERNESS is to feel like you are in a campground in the WILDERNESS. That's the architecture and theme of the place. And it's shot by having a hotel that sits on top with traffic, and noise, and lights and a higher density.

Finally, Fort Wilderness is designed a little different than other Disney resorts. You see kids playing in the streets, riding bikes, throwing balls, going to the pool by themselves. There is low traffic, it's all outside. It's not a "room" you sleep in and pool and restaurants you walk quickly to and from. The whole resort is the activity. How does that change with a parking lot next door?

There's a lot of issues with The Fort. It's been kind of a neglected resort for a lot of years with amenities steadily lost. There are good reasons for that. I suspect $$$ per guest are way down compared to the other resorts and Disney has some policies that, oddly enough, don't help. Given their focus on the bottom line, it's strange to me how The Fort is run.

But that all leads to a very different vibe. A vibe that will suffer from no longer being relatively isolated. I hope Reflections is dead. I have no doubt they will build on that plot eventually. The more it gets put off, the better it is for Fort Wilderness.

Reflections is more prairie style architecture, quite common in the Midwest as Frank Lloyd Wright kicked off the movement in Chicago.

Disney already has rustic with WL and FW. Thrilled they were going another route with Reflections. It is reminiscent of the prairie style we see here in the Midwest. Whether you’re a fan of the architecture or not, it’s connection to and focus nature is a main component. Prairie style has been around lakes and forests in the Midwest for 120 years.

I’d buy an add on at Reflections in a minute. I hope it’s back on the table again in the coming years.

It really amazes me how many people actually would prefer a rotting abanadoned water park be there over a new resort.

I love Prairie architecture. But Reflections with it's huge vaulting triangular windows and roofs doesn't look very Prairie to me. Prairie was based on the Arts & Crafts movement, similar to the Grand at DLH. From Wiki "The style is usually marked by horizontal lines, flat or hipped roofs with broad overhangingeaves, windows grouped in horizontal bands, integration with the landscape, solid construction, craftsmanship, and discipline in the use of ornament. Horizontal lines were thought to evoke and relate to the wide, flat, treeless expanses of America's native prairie landscape". Doesn't sound much like Reflections, does it?

No one wants a rotting water park. But IF a new resort must be built, let it at least 'fit in' with its surroundings and the existing resorts.

I think, in general, if you are a fan of Ft. Wilderness, you just don't want a resort sitting on top of you. I have no problem with the resort or architecture or getting rid of River Country's remains, despite my fond memories of the place. But the way they situated Reflections didn't make me happy at all. It was ridiculous to park it that close and completely against the vibe of Fort Wilderness.

Exactly.

Honestly, just hydroseeding and putting some grass down will improve it a lot.
I’m pretty sure that was already done? That’s what the reports said at least.
I’m wondering if someone here can answer this question. Is it impossible to get from wilderness lodge to fort wilderness?
The walking path is currently closed. It’s planned to reopen eventually.

It really amazes me how many people actually would prefer a rotting abanadoned water park be there over a new resort.

It's not that I would prefer that, it's that I don't think it is good to jam this very expensive yet another DVC property partially on top of Fort Wilderness. What I would really prefer is more updates and upgrades at the other already existing resorts to at least attempt to justify their insane rack rates.

This. I think maybe if they had just put this a bit further away it might have left a better taste.

The walking path is currently closed. It’s planned to reopen eventually.

I hope relatively soon or at least by May 2021 (when we're going lol). I'm not familiar with the 'geography' since I've never used the path, but does it go through the area that's been 'clear cut and bulldozed'? I have a feeling that if it does, it may be some time before they reopen it. They'd probably wait until they've 'prettified' the area and that may take some time.

I hope relatively soon or at least by May 2021 (when we're going lol). I'm not familiar with the 'geography' since I've never used the path, but does it go through the area that's been 'clear cut and bulldozed'? I have a feeling that if it does, it may be some time before they reopen it. They'd probably wait until they've 'prettified' the area and that may take some time.
I’m not sure but I don’t think so. You might ask in the Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness threads on the resorts board.

After checking out the concept art, I'm sad that Reflections is postponed (cancelled?). Even though our resale points can't be used to stay there, once (if?) this resort opens, it might be enough to entice me to add-on direct.

Here are some recent construction photos of the FW Campground beach taken from the FW Campground Dock. This is the beach all the campers watched the Magic Kingdom Fireworks and Water parade from for the last 50 years. Its gone. They were planning to fill it with waterfront cabins. This used to be such a wonderful spot. It was such a beautiful view when you got off the boats. Why can't they just move the new DVC down the beach a little towards the Lodge? Why did they have to put it ON TOP OF THE CAMPGROUND?

I’m wondering if someone here can answer this question. Is it impossible to get from wilderness lodge to fort wilderness?
You can not hike the trail from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness now. There is a Felony trespassing sign posted and security rides along the service roads back there.

You can not hike the trail from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness now. There is a Felony trespassing sign posted and security rides along the service roads back there.
If it is no longer a construction site, I do not believe it would be a felony except in very special circumstances, not that any trespass is justified

If it is no longer a construction site, I do not believe it would be a felony except in very special circumstances, not that any trespass is justified
It's still a construction site until Disney removes the fencing, plants grass and makes it safe again, though...

Just last week I had seen construction along the trail close to wilderness lodge looked like they are laying underground utilities it maybe dead for now but looks like they are finishing the ground work for what ever they may decide for in the future looks more like a project on hold so maybe one day look at pop century

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter