Regal Sun Resort

MrsJD

Boat...I saw a boat...
I just got back from a 5 night stay at this resort. I thought I would share my thoughts on the resort.

1) I feel like I got a good price through Expedia at $500 for 5 nights and a rental car. We had a room in the tower on the 12th floor.

2) The room itself was nice, though the bathroom was a let down. The bathroom was clean, though very dated with poor quality tile throughout.

3) Our view was quite nice, could see DTD, but not the pool, which was okay.

4) The pool was very nice. Clean and very kid friendly. Even when there was a good crowd there, it didn't feel cramped.

5) I was told there was a $15 resort fee to be paid upon arrival. I was not charged that, though I haven't got my credit card statement, so I hope they didn't try to sneak it on there.

6) Concierge service was horrible. She had no clue when or how their shuttle service worked and I could tell that I wasn't going to get much more info out of her, so I didn't even try.

7) The lounge was nice, but didn't try the restaurant.

8) Check-in staff was nice, as was housekeeping. But no one seemed to go above and beyond.

9) They advertise that you can buy your WDW tickets there....but it's a $5 fee per ticket.

10) VALET SERVICE: after checking in, Erick with a ck (this was how he was referred to throughout the trip) came to our car and asked if we needed valet service. He explained that the lots fill up fast (currently at 80% capacity)and we'd have to park far far away from the room and that we really need to do valet. This is $12 a day and the valet boys are not paid by the resort, tips only. I told him I would check it out and then decide. He was very pushy. We made a short turn to the parking lot to find it only 40% full with spaces right beside the building. We parked beside the building, next to a door everytime with no problem.

11) DTD....it's very close. you could walk the short block over, but in the heat I preferred driving over.

Overall I would give the resort a 7. Not a high class establishment, but it was nice and the service was sufficient. I enjoyed our time there, though DH was a bit dissappointed.

Hope this helps a bit! Enjoy your future trips!

Thanks for the review, Mrs! :thumbsup2 We've thought about doing a short trip staying here, so I always love hearing what others think.

We are booked to stay here over Christmas. I'm glad to read some decent reviews at least. I know its not going to be the best hotel but I was at least hoping for decent. We got 9 night for less than $800.

I stayed there for a couple of nights years ago when it was The Grosverner. I was just ok then too.

I remember the walk to DTD being fairly short, we didn't have a car that trip.

I just received an email from Regal Sun for a $49 special Aug. 23 - 31 dates only.

Stayed there back in 2004 (Grovsner Resort at that time), and didn't have a problem with it not being a Disney Resort. Loved walking to DTD in the evening, having the pool to ourselves, etc.

Great price if anyone can go last minute.

We just returned from a 9 night stay at the Regal Sun. We had a standard room, non-tower. We hadn't seen the non tower portion in any of the pictures and didn't realize they were outside entrance rooms until we got there. DH hates them....but the room was not bad for the price (we got 9 nights--over Christmas mind you for $790). Two queen beds, tv, fridge, safe in room, table and two chairs. There was not much room but it was fine for the amount of time we were in the hotel room. Shower left a bit to be desired--just because the shower head was low and both of us are tall which left us bending to get our hair wet. The pool was great....although the heater went out on the pool during our stay. Restaurant has a decent breakfast buffet but dinner -- even with kids eat free it was not worth it--too expensive, not much to choose from. Towels in the room were nice and fluffy. We had a view of the pool across the grounds from our first floor room. I loved the fact that it was an easy walk from the hotel to Downtown Disney.

We used the bus/shuttle service the first day of our stay then decided just to pay for parking and drive the rest of the stay. Buses left every 30 minutes, we lucked out both coming and going that first day as we walked up just as the bus was approaching and got right on. The trip back on the bus though was bad, bus was supposed to do MK and Epcot only(they had another bus for the other two parks) but picked us up at MK then proceeded to take two people to AK then the rest of us to the hotel(s). DS was the only one to get a seat and fell asleep...almost fell out of the seat (this was when we decided it would just be easier for us to drive).

Nice review.
The hotel had a horrible reputation in it's final years as the Grosvenor. When it changed names, it had a make over that helped it a lot. New pool. New locks on the doors. New carpeting, bedding, and furniture in the rooms, and new lobby decor.

I've stayed there twice on business trips. I think this is a decent hotel, for what it is. It does NOT measure up to the Disney resorts. But the location (literally on top of Downtown Disney) is excellent, and you can often get a great price on rooms.

Nice review.
The hotel had a horrible reputation in it's final years as the Grosvenor. When it changed names, it had a make over that helped it a lot. New pool. New locks on the doors. New carpeting, bedding, and furniture in the rooms, and new lobby decor.

I've stayed there twice on business trips. I think this is a decent hotel, for what it is. It does NOT measure up to the Disney resorts. But the location (literally on top of Downtown Disney) is excellent, and you can often get a great price on rooms.

Did the non-tower rooms get new beds, carpeting, etc., also? I had heard it was just the tower. TIA.

Donna

Did the non-tower rooms get new beds, carpeting, etc., also? I had heard it was just the tower. TIA.

Donna

Not sure on that. I've only stayed in the tower. It's been a few years since the upgrade, so I'd be surprised if they haven't also worked on the non-tower rooms too.

We were in a non-tower room. Beds were very nice (I have multiple disc degeneration so for me to say beds were nice is a big thing...lol). In fact went home and was complaining about my sleep number bed because I couldn't get comfortable.

Wondering how this hotel compares to the All-Star resorts??

Anyone that have stayed at both have any opinions??

Thanks for all the posts! My DH and I are booked to stay at Regal Sun over
EASTER week. How hard will it be for someone in EVC to go from DTD to
Regal Sun?

Thanks for all the posts! My DH and I are booked to stay at Regal Sun over
EASTER week. How hard will it be for someone in EVC to go from DTD to
Regal Sun?

It should not be hard at all. It's literally across the street, and there are sidewalks all the way. There's also a large crosswalk at the intersection. The only issue that I might see is that you have to go up a hill to get to the main entrance to the hotel. I wouldn't guess it's a problem. There's a photo of the front of the hotel on their web page, here: http://www.regalsunresort.com/photo-gallery

Wondering how this hotel compares to the All-Star resorts??

Anyone that have stayed at both have any opinions??

Hmmm.... that's a difficult question. I really don't like the All Stars. To me, they're chaotic... screaming kids everywhere. And the over the top theme just doesn't do it for me. But they do have the feel of being at a Disney resort. The Regal Sun has some Disney stuff in the lobby, but it's not really themed. You can see photos of the rooms on their web site. Nice enough, but you could really be anywhere. It's also a much older facility. That shows especially in the hallways on the lower levels. Disney does a great job at hiding all of the "service stuff." At the Regal Sun, you may walk around a corner and find laundry carts (just like hotels in the real world).

I would say that the All Stars are better if you want to "stay inside the magic." If you don't mind your mind jumping back to reality when you go to the hotel, choose the Regal Sun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter