Regional fast food that you just have to have when you get close to it?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I normally travel quite a bit on a tight budget, and I have favorites in lots of places that I cannot get at home. Anyone else want to share some? I'm looking for regional chains or franchises that are in the fast/casual category or true fast food; nothing nationwide, and nothing with pretensions to full-service dining.

I've got 4 that come to mind immediately: Bud's Broiler in New Orleans, NafNaf Grille in the Chicago area, Nando's Peri-Peri near DC, and Zoe's Kitchen (which is cheating a bit, I know; it's a bit more than regional.)

Where I live now there is a local chain called Lion's Choice that has a loyal following; their thing is roast beef sandwiches. I like them, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to get them.

When out west I have to get In 'n Out burger. Have only had once. When DS travels for work, he often stops there. (We are on the east coast.)

One in Delaware/Maryland/ Pennsylvania is Capriotti's, a sub shop that specializes in turkey subs. I think they have a location in Las Vegas.

Bodo’s bagels when I visit my brother in Charlottesville. It was a payday treat back when I was a student at UVA and now I have my kids hooked!

Roberto’s Taco Shop - a local chain in the San Diego area.

Carne asada burrito and rolled tacos with guacamole! My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I get it multiple times when I am visiting my parents and siblings who live in San Diego. I’ve lived in Virginia since college.

Rubio's fish tacos, in southern California. So good. I go at least twice every time I'm out there.
Several years ago my dad convinced me to try Rubio’s instead of my favorite, Roberto’s. He raved about Rubio’s fish tacos. I was on a health kick, so I ordered the grilled fish taco. Meh - it was nothing special. Then I took a bite of my husband’s breaded fish taco, the style Rubio’s is famous for. I immediately went up to the counter and ordered some of my own - diet blown. They were so delicious!

Bodo’s bagels when I visit my brother in Charlottesville. It was a payday treat back when I was a student at UVA and now I have my kids hooked!
I went to William & Mary (we have The Cheese Shop sandwiches with House dressing), but my son is a 2019 UVA grad. We are all big fans of Bodo’s!!!

I lived in California all my life. When visiting Oregon and Idaho I had to go to Taco Time. Now I live in Idaho and can have any time. Hen I visit California I want Pizza My Heart.

When we go back home to Seattle, we always eat two places: Ivar's (seafood chain), and Dick's Drive-In (burger chain).

Hmm..

My husband says Fantastic Cafe in the Long Beach, CA location---he went there a lot when he was working out there last year.

Every other place outside of our area it would be a more table service style that we can think of at least in terms of places we have to have if we go there.

Where I live now there is a local chain called Lion's Choice that has a loyal following; their thing is roast beef sandwiches. I like them, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to get them.

Lion’s Choice 😂. My husband was just complaining this weekend that it has been too long since we had it.

Portillo's here in Chicago. Italian beef, Italian sausage sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, ribs, chocolate cake, great salads, lots more. A couple locations in Florida (Tampa), a few in Arizona (Phoenix), a few in California (LA), a whole bunch in Chicago area.

www.portillos.com
Portillos is good stuff! I have only had the salad, but I absolutely love it! I have only been to the one in Tinley Park, I trust they would all be good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter