Regional fast food that you just have to have when you get close to it?

Pollo Tropical is a Florida favorite. It started out as just chicken ("pollo" en Espanol). No hormones, no trans fats, grilled not fried, and with a Caribbean flavor. And of course, black beans and rice with everything!

The menu has expanded to include pork and steak. The pork is quite good also.

Tried the churrasco steak once; never again. If they'd just called it beef, okay maybe -- but when you call it churrasco people expect a nice steak not scrap strips.

But the rest of the food is excellent. Only in Florida as far as I know.

https://www.pollotropical.com/

Pollo Tropical is a Florida favorite. It started out as just chicken ("pollo" en Espanol). No hormones, no trans fats, grilled not fried, and with a Caribbean flavor. And of course, black beans and rice with everything!

Tried the churrasco steak once; never again. If they'd just called it beef, okay maybe -- but when you call it churrasco people expect a nice steak not scrap strips.

But lots of them are being closed.

But lots of them are being closed.
Ours are open here, but some may have closed due to covid. They are franchises, so some of the newer ones may not have the working capital to fight off the pandemic. Or they may just be closed temporarily.

Churrasco just means grilled meat. Flank steak is the cut most typically used. It's not meant to be high class.

Churrasco just means grilled meat. Flank steak is the cut most typically used. It's not meant to be high class.
It depends. Each country has a different take on churrasco and I didn't care for Pollo Tropical's take on it. It was more like what you'd get in a beef fajita.

But if you get Nicaraguan or Argentinian churrasco, it is very good and those restaurants tend to be more high-end. Next time you're in Miami, try Los Ranchos for Nicaraguan Churrasco.

Cuban or Puerto Rican churrasco is quite different. For a Cuban steak, I'd much rather have a good Palomilla...especially at one of the really good small family restaurants.

Tonight we're going to some Venezuelan friends house for dinner, but if I know Ariel he'll be grilling ribeye!

When visiting CA I have a list of must eats:
-Togo’s (#9 hot pastrami)
-In-and-Out
-Round Table Pizza

Random when I see them while traveling:
Taco Del Mar
Del Taco
Chevy’s

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter