"Rehearsal Dinner"- gifts for parents?

disneybridetobe

Married 9-19-06 at Disney's Wedding Paviliion!
Here is my dilemma: at typical weddings, at the rehearsal dinner, gifts are exchanged between bride and groom, parents, attendants, etc.

The thing is- I don't know what we should do about gifts, and since we're having an Intimate wedding, we're having a very informal "rehearsal dinner" because, well, there's nothing to rehearse. We're not having attendants, the dinner is in EPCOT at the Coral Reef Restaurant (we're going to go as regular diners, not a party, per se) and the bottom line is... well, we don't have a ton of money for parent gifts. Both of our parents are divorced, so we'd have to buy at least 4 gifts, and then I don't want all the other guests (brothers, sisters, aunts, grandmas) to feel left out because they're not getting a gift presented to them. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Should we get our parents some sort of Disney item (necklace, or some other memento) or maybe Mickey ears :earsboy: with "Mother of the bride," Father/groom, mother/groom, etc. embroidered on them? Would that look too cheap? Or would it look like we put thought into it?

We made gift bags for everyone, and they weren't inexpensive, because all the items added up. :scared1:

Our parents know we're not rich, and we're doing the best we can. His dad paid for the Disneymoon, and my mom paid for our Wedding, and my dad helped us out on "extras." I just don't want them to think we don't care, or are spoiled brats that didnt bother to get them something expensive. (We just plain can't afford expensive stuff, even for ourselves.)

Thanks in advance...

I really love the ear idea! We didnt have much money so we got them simple stuff. They know you dont have a lot of extra money for gifts. I would maybe do the ears and a hand written note to thank them or maybe a poem to express your gratitude.

We're doing a very informal "welcome dinner" too. We ended up with very expensive welcome bags that we are giving at the dinner and the following to each person:

Dad:
a renewal membership to the airline association he's with

Mom:
A bunch of exotic seeds and gloves (this lady is seriously into gardening)

DF's Dad:
?

Df's Stepmom:

?

Sister:
A massage

BIL:
an engraved office pen

We had an Intimate too and just like you I wasn't sure what to do about the traditional rehearsal dinner gifts. We did a quick run-through of the ceremony on Sunrise Terrace then had dinner at Artist Pointe. I ended up just getting really nice cards and writing something very heartfelt to daddy, in-laws, MOH, and best friend (without whom I could not have gotten through the months before the wedding, not to mention the wedding day!). After we got home from our honeymoon then I gave them all gifts. I gave daddy a framed picture of us, MOH an engraved frame with a picture of us, in-laws a personalized wedding scrapbook that I made, and best friend her favorite liquor :teeth: I thought since it was a non-traditional wedding anyway, some non-traditional gifts were just fine! I think the ears are a great idea - definitely that you put thought into that!

I cannot believe it's just a few days away, disneybridetobe :Pinkbounc How exciting!! I've really enjoyed reading your posts and cannot wait to see the pictures and read all about it!! Best Wishes :goodvibes

what about personalized hankies, i got hankies for us, our parents & my great aunt who came to the rehearsal dinner i didnt want her to feel left out. i got them from newtraditionshankies.com & i was very pleased with the quality & embroidery, hankies are so sentimental & old fashioned too. if your crafty you could try making your own personalized hankies.

for our parents we also got a few items including parents albums with photos after the wedding, we got our family crests & bought nice frames for them & gifted them to our parents. we also got each parent (my parents, his mom & stepdad and dad) a personal gift each. dad personalized knife & daddys girl picture & frame, mom picture bracelet locket & annual pass, mil picture necklace locket & picture frame, stepdad a bunch of golf stuff including wdw golf balls, fil monogrammed lighter & cigars.

its the thought that counts, im sure your parents will appreciate anything you get them if its from the heart.

JandJ said:
We had an Intimate too and just like you I wasn't sure what to do about the traditional rehearsal dinner gifts. We did a quick run-through of the ceremony on Sunrise Terrace then had dinner at Artist Pointe. I ended up just getting really nice cards and writing something very heartfelt to daddy, in-laws, MOH, and best friend (without whom I could not have gotten through the months before the wedding, not to mention the wedding day!). After we got home from our honeymoon then I gave them all gifts. I gave daddy a framed picture of us, MOH an engraved frame with a picture of us, in-laws a personalized wedding scrapbook that I made, and best friend her favorite liquor :teeth: I thought since it was a non-traditional wedding anyway, some non-traditional gifts were just fine! I think the ears are a great idea - definitely that you put thought into that!

I cannot believe it's just a few days away, disneybridetobe :Pinkbounc How exciting!! I've really enjoyed reading your posts and cannot wait to see the pictures and read all about it!! Best Wishes :goodvibes

I think I'm going to go with the ears for an "instant gratification" gift, and then maybe a framed picture when we get home, I really like that idea. :)
And if all else fails, everyone has a favorite liquor!

I am so very excited- the Big Day is coming so fast!! I've hit a few snags and roadbumps, but it'll all be worth it! I'll post pictures as soon as I get home!

I just wanted to give you a heads up on the ears. If they are anything like the nametags, I am pretty sure that they will only embroider proper names. You may not be able to get 'Mother of the Bride' .. but you could have their names put on!

--Heather

I think you should give your parents a tolken gift. I think the ears are a cute idea. Don't go expensive. Just something extra to say "Thank you." You don't need to drag everything to EPCOT. There will be some other time you can give your parents gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter