Renting out my points

msjprincess

DIS Veteran
I may have points that I can't use. I'm thinking of renting them out myself instead of going through an agency.

What is the normal timeline and percentages that people use for deposits and final payment? I rented points years ago before we were owners and payment was due in full immediately. I wasn't sure if that's still the norm.

I may have points that I can't use. I'm thinking of renting them out myself instead of going through an agency.

What is the normal timeline and percentages that people use for deposits and final payment? I rented points years ago before we were owners and payment was due in full immediately. I wasn't sure if that's still the norm.
I think that is still the norm. Though when I've rented thru an individual he only asked for 50% up front. The rest 60 days out, I think?

And be warned - renting them yourself is a PITA! I attempted to do so via these boards and facebook, but nearly everyone was asking for things that weren't possible - like a Beach Club studio 1 month out. And when there was availability for someone's request, they would go silent. I ended up just going thru an agency and rented my extra points within a week.

I think that is still the norm. Though when I've rented thru an individual he only asked for 50% up front. The rest 60 days out, I think?

And be warned - renting them yourself is a PITA! I attempted to do so via these boards and facebook, but nearly everyone was asking for things that weren't possible - like a Beach Club studio 1 month out. And when there was availability for someone's request, they would go silent. I ended up just going thru an agency and rented my extra points within a week.
Thanks. I figure I'll give it a shot. If I get too annoyed I'll switch to an agency. LOL

I have done both pay in full and deposit with remainder due in 30 days. It depends on when my points need to be used by and if it’s a large rental or small. The other poster is correct, you go through a ton of requests before one materializes but I don’t find it too much of a pain. If you have a large number of points to rent I would recommend going through a rental agency since this will just amplify the tedious nature of checking dates, etc.

How successful are people renting their points to friends and family? From what I am seeing on the FB groups, I think I would like to avoid that. Any burned bridges?

I have rented just a few times to family. I only charge the cost of dues and they know that upfront. When I travel with them, I gift them their rooms.

So far, no burned bridges. I think as long as it is clear upfront as to what is expected for both, things should go well.

What happens if there are damages to a room? I have seen some of the rental agencies claim that the renter is responsible for whatever the cost of the damage is, but how is that money acquired? Does the rental agency pay the owner and go after the renter for the money or does the owner have to deal with small claims if the renter goes silent?

What happens if there are damages to a room? I have seen some of the rental agencies claim that the renter is responsible for whatever the cost of the damage is, but how is that money acquired? Does the rental agency pay the owner and go after the renter for the money or does the owner have to deal with small claims if the renter goes silent?

Yes, they are as well as any unpaid charges if there is an issue with the CC.

However, since the renter is considered a guest of the owner, it is up to you to make sure those get paid. You have to contact your renter and get the to contact Disney to settle up.

While rare that this happens, if you can’t get the renter to settle, Disney will suspend your DVC accpunt until it is settled. There have been owners wh ended up just paying it because it was the only way to unfreeze the account for use,

Before any one asks, this is not Disney making the owner responsible for the bill. But rather, the rental agreement is a private transaction between the owner and the renter, and therefore, it falls on the owner to make sure the renter/guest take care of everything,

In terms of small claims, the owner probably could attempt that, but now y sure how easy that would be.

Yes, they are as well as any unpaid charges if there is an issue with the CC.

However, since the renter is considered a guest of the owner, it is up to you to make sure those get paid. You have to contact your renter and get the to contact Disney to settle up.

While rare that this happens, if you can’t get the renter to settle, Disney will suspend your DVC accpunt until it is settled. There have been owners wh ended up just paying it because it was the only way to unfreeze the account for use,

Before any one asks, this is not Disney making the owner responsible for the bill. But rather, the rental agreement is a private transaction between the owner and the renter, and therefore, it falls on the owner to make sure the renter/guest take care of everything,

In terms of small claims, the owner probably could attempt that, but now y sure how easy that would be.
Thanks for the details! I was hoping that David's would take the risk and responsibility on for going after the renter, as they are providing the service. If they don't handle that for me then I may as well try to rent myself at a higher price.

Curious in the stories you have heard of how costly were the damages?

Thanks for the details! I was hoping that David's would take the risk and responsibility on for going after the renter, as they are providing the service. If they don't handle that for me then I may as well try to rent myself at a higher price.

I have never rented out through David’s, but they very well help out if worst case happens.l.which I think is rarel. It’s a question for them.

The couple threads I remember, one just paid the bill..between $1000 and $1500 IIRC.

One of the others, the owner was successful in getting the renter to settle it. It was an honest mistake.

IMO, that risk is very small and not one that I personally would worry about.

David's and the other rental brokers attract owners and their points (the supply) based on their good reputation. (Most of the brokers offer owners similar terms for their points).

If something happened with the renter they helped get a room, I'm quite sure David's would help the owner resolve the problem to the best of their ability. To do otherwise would create a HUGE problem for their business, and maybe even destroy it. Word gets out and all of a sudden, the owners go elsewhere with their points. David's supply would dry up. The brokers already have more demand than they can satisfy.

If I ever needed to rent my points, I'd use a reputable broker to avoid the effort of finding and working with a renter. That's worth the price to me. YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!