Renting out points worry

jdkdorn

Disneyholic and SSR/BCV DVC Member
I am renting out my points for the first time through David's and I have only one worry. What if the renter damages the room?

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Thanks

If the renter damages the room, you're liable for the costs. If the renter leaves a balance charged to the room and skips, you're liable.

I rented many many times with David'sand never had a single problem. Why don't you ask David's directly ? They may have a policy to protect you.

The renter's contract they sign with David's says they will pay for any damages / unpaid charges within 60 days.

Now, what happens if they decide not to follow through? I assume that means the courts have to deal with it for you to get the money back.

You'd have to front the money to Disney though and work through the courts afterward.

Ask David's - they do offer the chat feature. My guess is that his business will aggressively pursue recovering the damages from the renter responsible for them. To do otherwise would negatively affect his ability to remain in business.

I have asked this question of David's twice. Both times they told me they would handle it and they had never had a problem with renters damaging a villa without paying or leaving unpaid charges. I will admit, I was still very nervous!

That is why I only rent to those I know, friends, friends of family...

I don't know why more people don't do this instead of renting out their points to people they don't know. Help out your friends and family, church members, neighbors, co workers, etc.

In all the years I've spent on this board, I've read of a problem like this happening only once and it was settled at the end. I'm curious, is it stated in the contract that the owner is responsible for damage and bill of a renter? I know that renting is explicitly permitted, what else is stated in the contract?

doesn't the renter have to have a CC on file with Disney for Incidentals. I don't think the owner would be responsible

doesn't the renter have to have a CC on file with Disney for Incidentals. I don't think the owner would be responsible

Just because you have a card on file does not mean that DVC will charge it correctly. My card was never charged when I left BLT after a week long stay. I finally called after a week or so to see what was wrong. They told me my card was denied. It was not - someone did something wrong and never let me know that my credit card was not charged. Being the member, I called to fix things and had them charge the card they said was bad. If it were a renter, who knows the outcome :(

If the renter damages the room, you're liable for the costs. If the renter leaves a balance charged to the room and skips, you're liable.

In all the years I've spent on this board, I've read of a problem like this happening only once and it was settled at the end. I'm curious, is it stated in the contract that the owner is responsible for damage and bill of a renter? I know that renting is explicitly permitted, what else is stated in the contract?

Techinically, I don't think you're liable. I do think that they can freeze your points, which some may say amounts to the same thing. But I don't think they could win a judgement against you, or garnish your wages or anything. I think they can just freeze your use of your account.

That is why I only rent to those I know, friends, friends of family...

I don't know why more people don't do this instead of renting out their points to people they don't know. Help out your friends and family, church members, neighbors, co workers, etc.

I don't think I'd trust friends of friends more than I'd trust a stranger with references. And I hate complicating relationships with a business transaction -- you risk the transaction AND the relationship.

From the renter's perspective, I would never intentionally damage a room, especially if I think I might want to rent from that owner again. I rented through an owner I found here on the DIS. If we did damage the room, I would let the front desk know and ask them to let me know if any charges would be incurred. I don't think most people would set out to intentionally damage a villa.

Techinically, I don't think you're liable. I do think that they can freeze your points, which some may say amounts to the same thing. But I don't think they could win a judgement against you, or garnish your wages or anything. I think they can just freeze your use of your account.

That is what I thought too, but I'm not American and a part from what I see in movies and TV series, I don't know anything about American law :)
I cannot understand how Disney could consider the owner liable for the room bill. While I could see an argument for damage done to the room, how could the owner be responsible for the room bill? Disney offers the renter the possibility to charge the room, that's not a DVC feature, it's a way for Disney to make the renter spend more detaching the act of spending from the act of paying. I cannot see Disney winning in court against an owner; if they freeze the account a letter from a lawyer should be enought to get the account back. But as I said, I know nothing about US law (given that the renter was marked as such in the booking form).

What happened in the case posted was the card that was presented at check
-in was cancelled during the stay. So when Disney tried to charge it at check-out it was declined. They were not able to get ahold of the renter, so they put a freeze on the member's points until it was resolved. Fortunately, the member knew the renter and was able to get it resolved.

Renting is permitted? I thought this was one of those things where it's not permitted but they are looking the other way.

Renting is permitted? I thought this was one of those things where it's not permitted but they are looking the other way.

It is explicitly permitted in the contract. Commercial renting is forbidden: its definition is not clear, but it looks like at the moment is 20 or more reservations rented per year. A member willing to rent out a few extra points has the right to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter