Resale Members - How do you answer this question at WDW?

I wear my blue card on a gold chain around my neck and flash it everywhere I go like Wayne and Garth backstage with their ViP passes.

giphy.gif

And I bought resale.

Actually the very latest membership extras doc does now specify that for any DVC-related discounts, including merchandise, you have to present a valid DVC membership card, and that to get a card you have to buy 75 points direct, etc. So while there's always nuance to be found, it is a little more clear now than it was previously (IMHO)
Looks like it still says “certain discounts.” I’m still of the opinion that it’s purposely ambiguous so that people think they’re missing out on more than they are.

It's certainly not stealing or fraud to answer a question correctly CV and be granted a discount. It's fraud to answer incorrectly to deceive to obtain discount. That's not what is being discussed here, just honest answers to a simple question.

I’d also argue it’s fradulent to knowingly accept a discount you are not entitled to without aging anything.

Wow, I didn’t even realize there was a difference in perks between resale and direct. I guess I need to peruse the DVC member website.
We bought resale back in 2006 and have the blue member cards, does that mean we’re grandfathered in?

Wow, I didn’t even realize there was a difference in perks between resale and direct. I guess I need to peruse the DVC member website.
We bought resale back in 2006 and have the blue member cards, does that mean we’re grandfathered in?

You would be grandfathered in then and have no restrictions. What you get is the same as any current direct purchaser.

I wear my blue card on a gold chain around my neck and flash it everywhere I go like Wayne and Garth backstage with their ViP passes.

giphy.gif

And I bought resale.

I wear mine like that around my neck everyday. Especially at my job. When somebody starts humming "heigh ho" I flash it at them and, as middle schoolers would say, "flex" my Disney expertise.

giphy.gif

And I bought resale.
Oh lawd, I need to do that as well with my blue card.:rotfl::rotfl:

The way the original question was worded - Are you a DVC member, my answer would be Yes. It doesn't matter how you purchased the points, you are a member.
Now if they asked are you a DVC member that can have the discount, the answer then varies based on direct purchase, or when you purchased resale.

If they simply ask, "Are you a DVC member?" then answer Yes, because you are and answering No would actually be dishonest, you just aren't supposed to get the perks when you buy resale (which I think is silly anyway). If they ask a follow up, such as "Did you buy resale?" answer honestly. Same goes if they ask to see your member card, be honest about it.

Disclaimer: We did not buy resale, but I still feel this is accurate, as I said I think not giving the perks to the resale market is silly, but that's Disney's policy.

Note I am a resale buyer but also a "Blue carder" - I wanted to point this out.

If I DIDN'T have the blue card - this is what I would do:
If I was asked by someone walking down the street at WDW "Are you a DVC member?" I would say "Yes". If you own DVC you are a DVC member.

If I was asked in a store "Are you a DVC member?" I would answer the same way "Yes". If that's all they asked and they gave me the discount I would take it. I do not consider it fraud or stealing. What Disney is doing to resale members should be the crime, and to me I would have no problem taking the discount that I should be entitled too. (It sort of ridiculous to me that resale members got the discount for 20+ years, and now suddenly don't. And with resale prices at all-time highs, I'm not really sure that not offering the discount has done much to hinder the resale market.)

That said, I would not lie: I would not ask to get the discount and If they asked "Do you get the DVC discount?" I would answer honestly "No" or "Do you have your card?" I would say "No".
In my experience they always ask to see your card anyways, so I don't think that you would get the discount very often even answering "yes".

At Disneyland, I have never been asked if I am a DVC member nor have I ever heard it asked, but they do always ask if you are a passholder.

At DL, I've asked about any DVC discount and if the CM said yes there is, they would also ask to see my card before giving it to me.

At DL when they ask if you're a passholder I would - currently - say no but I'm DVC and I'd usually already have the card, along with my ID and my CC in my hand since that's what I'm now conditioned to do from being a passholder for our last two trips.

Yes, you are definitely an owner. My opinion is that if a CM decides to give you a DVC discount without asking you to provide anything beyond your answer to that question, then I see it as a little magic bestowed!

Obviously, if after that question, the CM says "Can I see your membership card?" in order to get the discount, you then say "Oh, no, I am a DVC member not eligible for discounts." Simple!

Yes, you are definitely an owner. My opinion is that if a CM decides to give you a DVC discount without asking you to provide anything beyond your answer to that question, then I see it as a little magic bestowed!

Obviously, if after that question, the CM says "Can I see your membership card?" in order to get the discount, you then say "Oh, no, I am a DVC member not eligible for discounts." Simple!
Or when we were there in April and they asked to see my Membership card or a screenshot of it, I pulled it up on my phone and handed an ID, and they gave us the discount everytime, merch and dining. I do not feel like it was wrong, they asked, I said Yes, they asked to see the membership number I showed it and was given the discount.

Me too! I've been asked for my card and photo ID!
Every time I've bought something and used my DVC discount, the CM has asked for my blue card before giving it me. You must've hit the YOLO ones!

My husband and I are both members. One time I used my blue card and then realized I didn’t bring any money—no cash, no card—so turned to my husband to use his card. The cast member very sternly informed me that I had to use my own money. I tried to explain we were married and both owners and I wasn’t trying to break any rules but she didn’t really want to hear it. I was mortified! So I’m kinda surprised there’s CMs out there who just hand out the discount no probs Lol.

My husband and I are both members. One time I used my blue card and then realized I didn’t bring any money—no cash, no card—so turned to my husband to use his card. The cast member very sternly informed me that I had to use my own money. I tried to explain we were married and both owners and I wasn’t trying to break any rules but she didn’t really want to hear it. I was mortified! So I’m kinda surprised there’s CMs out there who just hand out the discount no probs Lol.

Honestly we've always had to show our card. I don't think I've been asked "Am I a DVC member?" more than a handful of times. I've been asked about AP more times. In fact when I first became a member (resale member but since 2014) I kept forgetting to ask about the discount. Now I ask each time about it.

They actually checked my card every single time I went to buy merchandise when I was there in December EXCEPT when I bought my golf shirt in the Kidani store, they just automatically assumed I was a DVC member lol

i had this happen to me once being the discount was only a dollar i let it go... Reading this thread wondering how people are getting the discount... I have always been asked to show the card and ID... i forgot my ID once and felt like a thief as I got a speech...

I'm wondering if the CM who asks for the card would even know the difference between seeing a blue card or a white one? Would they just glance at it and see your name and member number and assume it's okay?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter