Resale Members - How do you answer this question at WDW?

I'm wondering if the CM who asks for the card would even know the difference between seeing a blue card or a white one? Would they just glance at it and see your name and member number and assume it's okay?
That was my thought! I was asked to see my member card and I did, on a screenshot on my phone, then asked for ID both were looked at and each time the Discount given. If they are trained to ask if you are DVC, but dont know who does or doesnt get the discount, then its not my fault.

i had this happen to me once being the discount was only a dollar i let it go... Reading this thread wondering how people are getting the discount... I have always been asked to show the card and ID... i forgot my ID once and felt like a thief as I got a speech...

Right!?!?? That’s why I’m so surprised! Boy, reality must vary wildly from what’s supposed to happen.

My take on this sort of thing is that if Disney wanted to enforce it, they would put systems in place to have the CM type in your member number in order to get the discount. They don't, so if the CM doesn't bother to check, that's Disney not making it a priority - the customer isn't supposed to be the safeguard for policy not being followed by their employees. Disney isn't paying me to be their auditor - I charge money for that.

My take on this sort of thing is that if Disney wanted to enforce it, they would put systems in place to have the CM type in your member number in order to get the discount. They don't, so if the CM doesn't bother to check, that's Disney not making it a priority - the customer isn't supposed to be the safeguard for policy not being followed by their employees. Disney isn't paying me to be their auditor - I charge money for that.
I figure this is what will happen most likely in the future. So if I do get to use my blue card next month for some discounts I will just consider myself lucky then.

Honestly them asking if you are a member or not has nothing to do with them making money. They give discounts to DVC, AP Holders and other people as a way to allow you to feel special and that buying in with them is "worth it" its not a fincial worth either though its the emotional worth of saying yes I paid allot of money for this group I belong to, but I get something back from it. IF Disney gives you a 10 or 20 percent Discount on Food or Merch its not hurting the profit margin as DVC AP is a small subset of the over all number of guests. They give the discounts to make you feel good, so you continue to come back and spend more and buy more because you can justify it because of your "exclusivity". They still make a profit, abit a smaller one from you individually but they know you will be back, all APS and DVC members will be back, so they will be able to make more profit later from you. Your not a one shot and done person, so Disney doesnt care about that smaller percentage of Profit because they will make profit off your return trips and purchases.

I figure this is what will happen most likely in the future. So if I do get to use my blue card next month for some discounts I will just consider myself lucky then.

Its a pretty simple matter to link everything to your MB and have it all encoded. It would also not be difficult for them to tie a photo to your customer record in the system and have it pop up on screen - so you can't hand a friend your MB

Its a pretty simple matter to link everything to your MB and have it all encoded. It would also not be difficult for them to tie a photo to your customer record in the system and have it pop up on screen - so you can't hand a friend your MB
Sure, I think something will happen to that effect at some point, especially if they keep handing out blue cards to us black sheep, you know? LoL. I just really like having a card to be honest.

This is true, but we all know how good Disney IT is.........

I’d also argue it’s fradulent to knowingly accept a discount you are not entitled to without aging anything.
Fraud is to deliberately deceive to obtain pecuniary or other advantage. If a company decides to bestow a discount upon me for answering a question correctly, that’s their problem,even if discount is incorrectly given due to poor policy implementation or training issues.
I’m like Skier Pete, if I didn’t have a legitimate blue card (I do) and was instead asked ‘Are you a DVC blue card owner entitled to discounts’ I’d answer no. But am I a member? Most certainly.

Fraud is to deliberately deceive to obtain pecuniary or other advantage. If a company decides to bestow a discount upon me for answering a question correctly, that’s their problem,even if discount is incorrectly given due to poor policy implementation or training issues.
I’m like Skier Pete, if I didn’t have a legitimate blue card (I do) and was instead asked ‘Are you a DVC blue card owner entitled to discounts’ I’d answer no. But am I a member? Most certainly.
As long as one answers truthfully and they decide to give the discount, that's on them IMO. OTOH, complaining about not receiving the discount or arguing for it would be inappropriate. I know the division bothers some but the reality is that everyone that it directly affects either knew or should have known going in about the limitations. It's like the DP a few years ago, often they'd allow one to pay for others meals even though the written rule was to the contrary. Their rule, their choice. I know there's at least one member here who feels differently regarding the DP but they're entitled to be wrong. Else one could not accept any grace or benefit whether it be waiver of late payment for a CC that was 1 day late or banking of DVC points if one had an emergency.

I was asked today if I was s DVC member. I answered yes.

I was then asked if I had a card. I answered no, but told her I had the print out from the website.

I showed her, she gave me the discount anyway.

I am re-sale, not grandfathered in.

Last edited:
If I am able to get any discounts, I am good, If I don't, I am still good. I am really just glad I have a card to look at when inputting my member number on the phone when I need to call in.

I was asked today if I was s DVC member. I answered yes.

I was then asked if I had a card. I answered no, but told her I had the print out from the website.

I showed her, she gave me the discount anyway.

I am re-sale, not grandfathered in.
that was how our 8 days in April went.... most CM's asked can I see your card or a screenshot... and I said sure hold on. They looked at the screenshot and gave the discount.

As long as one answers truthfully and they decide to give the discount, that's on them IMO. OTOH, complaining about not receiving the discount or arguing for it would be inappropriate. I know the division bothers some but the reality is that everyone that it directly affects either knew or should have known going in about the limitations.

I completely agree with this.

Let's split some hairs and look at it Talmudically.
The CM asks you if you are a DVC member. The answer is yes.
Talmudically, you are not even supposed to go into a store and waste the merchant's time if you don't intend to make a purchase. So I would think that Talmudically, the answer would be "Yes. Are you asking because you want to qualify me for a discount? If that is the case, I must inform you that I am a resale purchaser, not grandfathered in, so I am not entitled to a discount."
But in the real world, the CM is asking if you're a DVC member, NOT "Are you a DVC member who is entitled to a discount?"
Therefore, since Disney is NOT instructing the CM to ask that (as there might be resale owners who aren't aware that they don't qualify for a discount), Disney doesn't really care, so the answer would be "Yes."
Next up: how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Never been asked that question. I always have to tell them and I always have to produce my member card and photo i.d.

If they simply ask, "Are you a DVC member?" then answer Yes, because you are and answering No would actually be dishonest, you just aren't supposed to get the perks when you buy resale (which I think is silly anyway). If they ask a follow up, such as "Did you buy resale?" answer honestly. Same goes if they ask to see your member card, be honest about it.

Disclaimer: We did not buy resale, but I still feel this is accurate, as I said I think not giving the perks to the resale market is silly, but that's Disney's policy.
I agree. I bought both resale and direct.

From what I've read on the boards, CMs don't seem to be paid enough to really care how you became a DVC member. For merchandise, they don't seem to "verify" if you're blue card or wear the mark of resale shame.
I was at BLT, MK, & AKL this past weekend with my DGS (6). Every purchase I made they requested my Blue Card and ID. Do not be surprised if they do ask for the card.

From what I've read on the boards, CMs don't seem to be paid enough to really care how you became a DVC member. For merchandise, they don't seem to "verify" if you're blue card or wear the mark of resale shame.
I was at BLT, MK, & AKL this past weekend with my DGS (6). Every purchase I made they requested my Blue Card and ID. Do not be surprised if they do ask for the card.
UPDATE: From what I've read on the boards lately (ok, mostly this thread), CMs DO seem to be paid enough to care about the blue cards and do seem to verify (no need for quotes) if you have it or bear the mark of resale shame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!