Resale = No DVC Perks?

It sounds like the mom hasn't closed yet. She would do well to avoid any headaches and cancel the purchase and do more homework rather than go through with it and resent the purchase. Especially when considering $26400 in purchase price. And $5280 just in down payment.

I agree, take a moment. People that buy direct aren't idiots or making huge mistakes. Everyone has to judge their situation differently and buying direct makes some sense for some people's situation. With that all being said, early in my career, I actually worked for another timeshare as a sales person for about 3 months. In that short 3 months, I learned a lot about the industry. I had a ton of conversations with buyers about other timeshares they owned and I got a pretty good idea about how the resale industry worked. 5 or 6 years later, I started looking into DVC and bought a resale, prior to them stripping the benefits.

The biggest thing I looked at before I purchased DVC was the value. That comes in two ways. The first is are you going to save money on your vacations and vacation in the type of room that will make you happy. The BWV's needed an upgrade 5 years ago and since they did that, we've been very happy with where we've stayed, how we've used our points, and with our overall experience. So, we've definitely saved money with how we've used our points vs if we had just stayed with cash at the same resort, or god forbid, stayed at a pop property (IMHO, value resorts are not an option for me).

The other value comes in something you own and how much would someone else be willing to pay for it. We purchased prior to the recession in the $80/point range. It dropped in price in 2008 significantly, but over the last 10 years, the resale price has raised by 50%. That's rare for a timeshare. If I sold it today, I'd have gotten the value of using it for 12+ years and I would have made money on the sale. Those are the two ways to look at timeshares. Will you use it and how much is it worth if you tried to sell it? DVC is not one of those timeshares where you're stuck and can't get rid of it.

If your Mom doesn't want to go resale, there's nothing wrong with that. If you use the points, eventually you'll get ahead. Buying direct just takes longer to get ahead. People that purchased direct in 1992 have seen the value of their purchase on the resale market go up past what they paid for it with direct buy. That may or may not happen at $180/point, but it could.

With all of that being said, your Mom just needs to be educated and comfortable with her purchase.

Last edited:
IMO, it really makes no sense to buy entirely direct. Get the majority of your points resale, then add on with a small direct purchase. Even if you have money to burn, it just is not a wise financial decision.

As for perks, if you buy strictly resale, you only get 3 perks:
1) Top Of The World Lounge
2) free DVD rentals
3) Pool hopping
Oh, I didn't know about the lounge. Won't be mentioning that to my husband, because I really hate elevators. If we were to ever stay at BLT, I would be like, look, I can't be staying staying above the fifth or sixth floor. If you can't keep me close to the ground, I will be sleeping in your lobby.:rotfl2:

Resale purchasers also get access to RCI trades if they really want to do that.

Pool hop, yes. When we have our grandkids with us we like to take them to different pools that match up better with their ages.

We used to pool hop to Stormalong Bay before they built the BCV and hopping was permitted at BC. Now, it's too much work.

The splash area at GF is high on their list, also WL, but now that is restricted to those staying there. They also like Port Orleans, both French quarter and Riverside. They also liked the Poly prior to DVC restricting that one also.

The splash area at GF is high on their list, also WL, but now that is restricted to those staying there. They also like Port Orleans, both French quarter and Riverside. They also liked the Poly prior to DVC restricting that one also.
Coronado Springs Dig Site is a nice pool.

Nah, I will pass on that and does any DVC owners out there really pool hop?

DVD/DVC has been reducing the pool hopping resort list and they are/have removed the DVD players from the resorts so two more resale benefits are gone.

:earsboy: Bill

I pool hopped during our last trip from BCV to BWV. We've stayed at BWV 3 times with the kids, the first 2 times it was too cold to swim and then last year the pool was closed. So on our last trip they asked if we could walk over to to BW for them to try the slide. That's the only time we've pool hopped.

We've never even used a pool at Disney, let alone think about pool hopping. Seems like a waste of time to me. We swim at home if we want to go swimming. We don't travel all that way to do it.

I just wouldn't want to devote the time to pool hop.

We have changed the way we do Disney. In the beginning it's all about the parks, attractions, and rides. After a few years that became the same old thing and we got tired of the crowds. Now we vacation at the resort and go to the parks or park if we fell like it. We sleep in, have family time around the resort and in our room, get to know the CM's, the management, the hidden gems. If we were pool people I could see us going for an outing to another pool.

:earsboy: Bill

We like to go to the parks in the morning and then hit the pool in the afternoon after lunch or naps with our kids. Makes for a relaxing day.

We like to go to the parks in the morning and then hit the pool in the afternoon after lunch or naps with our kids. Makes for a relaxing day.

This exact schedule played a big role in my choice to buy into DVC. It is a much more relaxing way to go, but when paying cash for a room I was always feeling like I had to "get my money's worth". I really am looking forward to the slower pace of touring that DVC ownership will allow for.

The bag check is separate but after you get off the boat. It was a big improvement from the past.
Unless you are resort hopping. We were not aware of the relocated bag check when attempting to go "boat to bus to AKL" and it slowed us down tremendously. I'd prefer if the relo allowed folks to exit the boats and go direct to bus w/out a security check. :(

IMO, it really makes no sense to buy entirely direct. Get the majority of your points resale, then add on with a small direct purchase. Even if you have money to burn, it just is not a wise financial decision.

As for perks, if you buy strictly resale, you only get 3 perks:
1) Top Of The World Lounge
2) free DVD rentals
3) Pool hopping
But be aware that in-room DVD players are being discontinued! (Boo! Hiss!) They have been moved to "available on request" with a visit from Engineering to install the player. (more Boo! Hiss!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts