Resale = No DVC Perks?

Someday, in your future, you will spend days w/out visiting a park. Pool Hopping can be quite enjoyable on those days.
Planning to this coming June, but still don't think I would have the desire to pool hop.

Planning to this coming June, but still don't think I would have the desire to pool hop.

Right, but we are early on in our ownerships. Already I am planning more pool afternoons, but am also trying out new resorts. 15-25 more trips in and you may be more interested in pool hopping.

We have changed the way we do Disney. In the beginning it's all about the parks, attractions, and rides. After a few years that became the same old thing and we got tired of the crowds. Now we vacation at the resort and go to the parks or park if we fell like it. We sleep in, have family time around the resort and in our room, get to know the CM's, the management, the hidden gems. If we were pool people I could see us going for an outing to another pool.

:earsboy: Bill
It didn't take us long to get to the same place.

Yes, we still go to the parks. But we don't feel like we have to be there every waking moment.

We like to get to know the resort and the cast members working there. And, when weather permits, we like to check out the pool.

We've not pool hopped but we have thought about it. The last time it came up, the weather nixed the idea.

Buy resale first and then do a 25 point add-on contract at the same resort with the same UY.
I just went through the DVC presentation on my last visit. I'm pretty sharp with things like this and went in with knowledge and educated research to see if buying direct would be advantageous to us. I also wanted to get insight on the whole DVC process... Ok The 100.00 gift card and fast passes didnt hurt either lol...
We have always wanted DVC but own a timeshare and trade into Disney or nearby often. But we seem to renew APs every year and go at least 2 to 3 times a year now for the last 4 rs. My kids love it and being older would use it on their own over the years to come. BUT what they are selling now is pretty high even with the 1000 savings buying in I had to think twice about 20,000 for 150 point. Are the perks worth it? im thinking not. I get the value of a longer contract and the math of it all. But does it justify the savings buying indirect?
Which brings me to what the guide told us. I brought up resale. He didn't put it down but he pushed the contract expiration to value reason for buying direct. I asked about the 25 points direct add on..he told me that Disney was wise to that and it is now 75 MINIMUM points to add on...is this true? I hear of 25 points add ons recently...also he called to see what resales were avail. The only thing they had was AK and at 170.00 a point! HA. I declined.
Still deciding to buy resale and continue to buy APs as they have their own discounts.

I just went through the DVC presentation on my last visit. I'm pretty sharp with things like this and went in with knowledge and educated research to see if buying direct would be advantageous to us. I also wanted to get insight on the whole DVC process... Ok The 100.00 gift card and fast passes didnt hurt either lol...
We have always wanted DVC but own a timeshare and trade into Disney or nearby often. But we seem to renew APs every year and go at least 2 to 3 times a year now for the last 4 rs. My kids love it and being older would use it on their own over the years to come. BUT what they are selling now is pretty high even with the 1000 savings buying in I had to think twice about 20,000 for 150 point. Are the perks worth it? im thinking not. I get the value of a longer contract and the math of it all. But does it justify the savings buying indirect?
Which brings me to what the guide told us. I brought up resale. He didn't put it down but he pushed the contract expiration to value reason for buying direct. I asked about the 25 points direct add on..he told me that Disney was wise to that and it is now 75 MINIMUM points to add on...is this true? I hear of 25 points add ons recently...also he called to see what resales were avail. The only thing they had was AK and at 170.00 a point! HA. I declined.
Still deciding to buy resale and continue to buy APs as they have their own discounts.

It's still 25 points for all resorts except CCV I believe. That is 50 points.

And it isn't resale buying AKV from DVC - that's direct with direct prices. It just isn't the resort they are currently promoting and selling.

You can get BLT resale for approx $135 and it expires 2060. SSR - 2054. AKV - 2057. Direct only makes sense if you really want to own the newest resorts they are selling - in this moment that's CCV. Even Aulani makes more sense resale.

I asked about the 25 points direct add on..he told me that Disney was wise to that and it is now 75 MINIMUM points to add on...is this true?

It's still 25 points for all resorts except CCV I believe. That is 50 points.

Living near WDW and knowing a lot of folks that work for DVC, I am hearing that the minimum Disney direct add on for resale owners is going up. Just rumor at this point, but on another forum that's what some are saying as well.

Kat4Disney is correct that 50 points is the minimum add on for members adding CCV points, at least right now.

And some may flame me for saying it, but as someone that bought all contracts from Disney, with our original purchase being over 2 decades ago, it doesn't seem equitable for someone to buy as little as 25 points direct and get the discounts, access to member events like the Moonlight Magic events, etc. And btw, the Moonlight Magic events are amazing! Access to the theme parks after hours at no charge is more than a small perk.

I bought resale for a non-Disney TS we own, and fully understood I would not be able to book anything but my home resort or trade via II. And we were fine with that. :flower3:

as someone that bought all contracts from Disney, with our original purchase being over 2 decades ago, it doesn't seem equitable for someone to buy as little as 25 points direct and get the discounts, access to member events like the Moonlight Magic events, etc.

Fair enough quibble there if all prices were equal, but with the direct sales cost the way it is today, it is pricing many more people out of being able to buy all direct. 20 years ago there wasn't much of a resale market at all, nor were there so many home resorts to choose from, most of which are sold out direct, so your comparison to today's purchasers is not a very even one.

Fair enough quibble there if all prices were equal, but with the direct sales cost the way it is today, it is pricing many more people out of being able to buy all direct. 20 years ago there wasn't much of a resale market at all, nor were there so many home resorts to choose from, most of which are sold out direct

I agree with your points here, Ben E N. But IMHO, it is still inequitable to be able to add just 25 points and get full benefits. Just my opinion. I entirely understand why someone would purchase resale with today's pricing being what it is. Entirely. :flower3:

I agree with your points here, Ben E N. But IMHO, it is still inequitable to be able to add just 25 points and get full benefits. Just my opinion. I entirely understand why someone would purchase resale with today's pricing being what it is. Entirely. :flower3:

And I also think it is quite the bargain that Disney will be changing soon. It's a bit of a loophole, but shouldn't do too much to "hurt" all direct purchasers. It allows a few more people into the moonlight magic events, but they can also add more dates as demand increases. The discount tickets at dining have no impact on other owners.
I am actually surprised Disney has not yet raised the threshold though. I personally would have still bought in at 50 points, so that's an extra $4000 they left sitting on the table in my case. Everybody's situation is different, though.

If they raise the threshold for direct points, do you think they would grandfather in those who have already been members with only 25 direct points? I'm a resale buyer currently considering buying 25 direct points to get the extras, but I probably wouldn't be interested in buying 50 direct.

If they raise the threshold for direct points, do you think they would grandfather in those who have already been members with only 25 direct points? I'm a resale buyer currently considering buying 25 direct points to get the extras, but I probably wouldn't be interested in buying 50 direct.

Yes. It would be such a mess otherwise. They would have to collect all those blue cards. And then why keep resale only buyers who bought before 4/16? It just makes a mess of things.
It makes more sense to raise the threshold in order to get more new buyers to pay more to get into the system.
Anything is possible, though. They don't exactly tell us what their next move is.

I truly don't know, and it's all rumor right now, but I'm reading and hearing lots of rumblings about the increase. If they follow suit with changes they have made before they would grandfather folks in that bought BEFORE the change.... but only time will tell. Good luck!

Although Disney may not be making thousands of dollars by reselling their contracts over and over again, they will be making thousands of dollars from the guests who bought resale and will be spending their hard earned money on repeated Disney vacations, something they may not have done if they did not buy into DVC. I for one, hate this concept of being treated like a second class citizen if choosing to buy resale. Just my opinion, and I know others will disagree.

We always stayed off site because we like the space of a 3-bedroom with in suite laundry and to have this at Disney without DVC is just not affordable. We will never stay off site again now that we're DVC. We will also be spending more time at Disney as members. Add that up over the life of our contract and it's big bucks from our pocket into theirs. Although I do have a direct contract, it would not bother me if they decided to make resale purchasers "full members" in the future (not that it will ever happen).

Do you mean inequitable for the buyer or for DVD?

For a buyer, considering a 25 point contract is around $1000-1200 or so more to buy direct, being able to buy gold APs for a family of 6 (not being Florida residents obviously) is an immediate break-even.

For DVD, it's a sales tool, not a money saver. They don't save money; the moonlight magic events fill to capacity regardless and the discounts are fairly negligible from their perspective. The differentiation is there because the vast, vast, VAST majority of buyers don't know much about the resale market or even trust it, and this gives their sales people ("guides", if you will) something else to frighten people with and encourage them to buy direct.

Overall, it's really not about the equitably. It's purely a direct sales tool. If they (inexplicably, but just pretend) decided to quit building and selling new properties, you can bet most or all incidental benefits would disappear pretty quickly.

You makes some interesting points, ScubaCat. I know of no TS out there that does not have deep restrictions for any owners that did not buy direct from them, but bought resale. DVC was just slower coming to that decision and to make changes accordingly. I think THAT is the main reason people get upset, because there used to be no restrictions for DVC owners that bought resale. Again, I know for a fact that most if not all other TS companies have tight restrictions for resale owners. I own one of those other TS, and bought resale. I have zero perks, and I don't care. I saved a truckload of money and will be using that ownership at my home TS.

Absolutely correct. I think, initially, the idea was to pretend to be "more than a typical timeshare". With just one property, and then a few properties, and a whole new exchange, management company, etc., resale has a negligible impact on sales. As they get bigger, it becomes a bigger issue and so they phase in the usual restrictions that are typical in the timeshare industry.

The trick is to always understand that DVD does what's in *their* best interest, just like any other business. They are not hosting moonlight magic events because DVD members are so special and they want to give us something. They do it because we tell people about it, the vloggers post videos, and as a result the community effectively markets DVC for them. Same goes for the epcot lounge. Heck, I bet half the vloggers don't even own DVC or get in with an owner. They're on a guest list and they just show up and get in. (same with MNSSHP and MVMCP... You really think they buy tickets for 3 or 4 nights of each event just to post videos? I seriously doubt it.)

If you buy resale can you buy tables in wonderland if you don’t have an annual pass?

Tables in Wonderland is only offered to Florida residents and DVC members. I do not think the discount offered to DVC members would be available to you if you bought resale. At least going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter