14kparker

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip in September and trying to decide the best time to make reservations.

On the day we go to Magic Kingdom, I would like to go to Ohana for dinner and then make it back to the park for fireworks. Do you think a reservation anywhere from 5:30 and 6:30 would be enough time? Is 6:30 pushing it?

The same question is for our day at Hollywood Studios. I would like to go to dinner at Cape May that day and make it back to the park for Fantasmic? I think we could make a reservation at 6 and make it back with plenty of time?

I trying to get an idea of the travel time to and from the parks to see what the best time is to go!

For both shows, I would aim to be entering each park 45 - 60 minutes prior to showtime. So, for 'Ohana, I would aim to leave the restaurant 60-75 minutes prior to fireworks and for Cape May, I would aim to leave the restaurant at least 90 minutes prior to showtime (that's with walking or waiting for a boat). I don't know what time the shows start on the evenings you plan to go, but hopefully that gives you an idea of when to make your ADRs. I hate being rushed particularly when you have to deal with WDW transportation and park security. I would give yourself as much of a cushion as you can.

Edited to add: Give yourself at least 90 minutes to eat at 'Ohana and 60 minutes at Cape May. Ask for the check for both restaurants when you first sit down so you can square payment right away and not have to wait for a check at the end of the meal.

Disney transportation is. Not awesome. Lots of waiting

leaving MK and returning you need to allow 60 minutes. Seems excessive but if you just missed the little boat or the monorail, you have at least a 20 minute wait time. Then actual boat/monorail time, walking time to the restaurant, checking in then being seated.

ohana is notorious for sssslllooowwwww service. Like 30 wait to pay and leave. Try to manage that by getting check and letting your server know time is of the essence.
so basically allow 3ish hours to leave the park to eat and return. It sounds like a lot, but it is disney

you need to allow the same amount of time to go to cape may
you can boat, walk, or use the skyliner. All need time allotted.

By September the Grand Floridian walking path could potentially be finished, allowing you to walk from the Polynesian back to the Magic Kingdom without needing to rely on Disney transportation.

Granted, it is probably a mile or more, so it might not be the fastest. But no waiting!

Here is the deal , budget 30-45 minutes to wait for your table at ohana , and budget another 30-45 for your actual meal , the service is god awful slow until you sit and then it’s too fast

I’m considering eating at Skippers Canteen instead and eat Ohana on a different date so we won’t have to worry about getting back to the park. . I hesistiate because I know we want to eat Boma and Ohana, so adding Skippers would be a lot of the same kind of food. Maybe there’s a better alternative in the park?

Last edited:
I’m considering eating at Skippers Canteen instead and eat Ohana on a different date so we won’t have to worry about getting back to the park. . I hesistiate because I know we want to eat Boma and Ohana, so adding Skippers would be a lot of the same kind of food. Maybe there’s a better alternative in the park?
As mentioned, Ohana can be slow and they tend to overbook since they are so popular. This leads to long waits when you check in for a table. If fireworks at MK are more important than dinner at Ohana, I would eat elsewhere. Inside the park, Liberty Tree Tavern is one of our favorite meals on property. Very different fare from the three restaurants you mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter