Resort Advice Needed

jerseygirl82

Mouseketeer
We are planning way in advance for our November 2015 trip to WDW and will be traveling with quite the crew. We might be a party of 6 (4 adults, 1 kid and 1 infant) or we could be a party of 8 (6 adults, 1 kid and 1 infant). One of our travel members is a double amputee, so I am trying to figure out the best resort mobility wise. I'm looking to balance both enough space for all those people, along with maximum ease of travel for my FIL. Any suggestions?

OP, a few questions to help better answer your questions:
Will you be driving and have your own vehicle?
Are you flying and using only Disney transportation to get around?
Are you renting a vehicle?
Will your FiL have a scooter, wheel chair, etc?
What is the main focus of the trip? (IE: parks, dining, relaxing at the resort, etc)
Will any of the adults be wanting to do after park hours things?
Will your group be doing any of the water parks?
Will you be going offsite to eat, other area parks, shopping, etc?

Hi! :wave

Will you be driving and have your own vehicle? no
Are you flying and using only Disney transportation to get around? yes
Are you renting a vehicle? no
Will your FiL have a scooter, wheel chair, etc? we planto rent a scooter
What is the main focus of the trip? parks and dining
Will any of the adults be wanting to do after park hours things? nope
Will your group be doing any of the water parks? nope
Will you be going offsite to eat, other area parks, shopping, etc? nope!

I would reserve a separate studio for the couple that may or may not be coming and ask for a handicap shower of the type he would prefer, either a roll in shower or a tub with handrails. Gives them some privacy and the ability to have a sleepover with the grandkid(s).

Then for the other 6 six, it would depend on if you all would be comfortable sharing a 1 BR, a 2BR or would you prefer two studios. You didn't give the age of either child but does the older child need naps? Can the infant sleep while traveling through the parks and are the parents both okay with that? If kids need naps I would vote for the 2 BR or two studios.

You might want to check with the disabilities thread about what resort would work for your FIL. I think that the resort I would have doubts about is OKW. If your FIL is using a scooter he will need to have an elevator in the building (only three buildings have elevators, Building 62, 63 and 64 all on Miller's road) or you need to have a room on the first floor. DVC tries to be accommodating especially for handicapped guests but the handicap reservations are not a guaranteed reservation and first floor rooms might not be available. At least with all of the other DVC resorts you will have access to an elevator.

I would pick a resort that your guests would enjoy and perhaps pick one that is close to the parks they are interested in. Or pick the resort they would love. Would the kids really enjoy seeing the animals at AKV and would the adults enjoy watching the kids? Or is going to a park more important? Would a resort near a park that the parents with kids like going will work out to be good for your FIL who could return to the resort easily when he needs a rest or wants a break from the parks, but doesn't want the family to have to drive him back?

I would consider BLT, or BWV or BCV for location near parks. These resorts would make it easier for your FIL to use his scooter to get back to the room from some of the parks.

We are possibly taking my cousins son who has MD and uses a scooter. After all the questions I asked on the boards we settled on BLT. Easy access to the 2 parks they will go to most. Easy access to many of the restaurants we will be going to. Also a zero entry depth pool. The only downside mentioned to me was that the studio side is tight when you have to charge a scooter.

I believe there was something said in a post about BWV/BCV and charging the scooter in the hall due to lack of outlets. I'm sure someone else could say for sure as we have yet to travel with a scooter.

I agree with PP that it would be best to use multiple studios for your stay, that way if different groups need breaks/rest/get away from everyone else.
Maybe have a one-bdrm for yourselves to have as a meeting/gathering place and multiple studios for all others.
Since you will be using WDW transportation I would recommend staying at the resorts in the following order:
BWV
BCL
BLT
VGF

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter