Resort Upgrade

bartoscowabunga

Mouseketeer
We got a call today from our TA. She said we could have a complimentary upgrade from DXL to the Swan & Dolphin, but the first night of our trip we will be staying at DXL because the upgrade was not avail that day. We are then going on the cruise. I didn't want to do the upgrade at first and changed my mind, so we are doing it. Do you think this was a good move and how is the Dolphin? Is it more convenient as far as the bus goes than it is at DXL? Is Tubbies a place where you can get a quick breakfast like DXL has? We were planning on leaving DXL early. We do not have a vehicle, but another family member does. They are going to take the luggage over early and we will meet them there to check in. Can we do an early check-in as early as 7:30 or 8:00? Will they store our luggage and check us in if the room isn't available? Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

Dolphin is a beautiful place. Tubbis is a cafeteria style place, but they have plenty that you can buy and carry with you also. Everything from fruit and yogurt to muffins and doughnuts, eggs, french toast... etc. Dolphin also offers room service, which most of the moderates do not (I can't think of one that actually does).

Transportation is both by boat (MGM and EPCOT) and by bus (MK, Downtown Disney, AK). You can also comfortably walk to EPCOT and MGM, although the walk to MGM is definately further.

We love this location, it is a blast to end the day in WS at EPCOT, wander down the Boardwalk or past Yacht/Beach with the lights and music and stroll back to Dolphin.

How very neat for you that you get to upgrade. An upgrade is always a plus. i have heard so many plusses about being so close to Epcot and MGM as well. How can you loose?? Wishing you and yours a wonderful trip.:D

does anyone else think it is strange for an upgrade to happen from a DISNEY resort to a non- Disney owned resort?

This is the second one I read about. Something definitely seems strange, but I think I'd have to take it as the location is great for S&D.

:Pinkbounc

I guess I never thought of it as being strange, but it must be. Why would Disney lose $$ on my reservation and give it to the S&D. Plus the fact I had 2 extra nights booked there and now they are also switched to S&D. I did ask my TA to find out if they could upgrade us to a different Deluxe instead of S&D because I wasn't sure I would like the S&D and she said they said it was only available for the S&D. Do you think it has anything to do with the cruise part of our trip (although that part of the trip did not get upgraded).

Originally posted by bartoscowabunga
I guess I never thought of it as being strange, but it must be. Why would Disney lose $$ on my reservation and give it to the S&D. Plus the fact I had 2 extra nights booked there and now they are also switched to S&D. I did ask my TA to find out if they could upgrade us to a different Deluxe instead of S&D because I wasn't sure I would like the S&D and she said they said it was only available for the S&D. Do you think it has anything to do with the cruise part of our trip (although that part of the trip did not get upgraded).

I think it has everything to do with the cruise. DCL negotiates for a certain quantity of on-site rooms to be used for the land portion of the land/cruise combos they sell. My guess is that they overbooked their "quota" for DXL (due to cruisers demand) and are thus offering upgrades to the S/D which still has space. If they didn't do that, they would have empty rooms at the S/D and have to accept less bookings for DXL. I'm sure they are "maximizing " their revenue and making some guest happy at the same time. FWIW, I do not think DCL is losing any $$ on the deal and I don't think you will regret accepting the upgrade.

While I have no idea how the transfers to the port work from the S/D vs DXL (I'm sure it will turn out to be just fine), I just know you will love the S/D Hotel's location. It's really a great perk to be able to walk or take a boat to both EPCOT and MGM, and to be so close to the Boardwalk. You will be within easy walking distance of many, many dining options.

Enjoy your stay!

That is great that you got an upgrade to the S/D! We will be at the Dolphin this Dec. Have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter