Restaurant Askerhaus question for recent guests

drdelsol

Proud papa
First , please excuse me if I spelled that wrong.

When we were at Disney over Labor day this year, the restaurant had changed the buffet so that only cold items were on and the hot items had to be ordered separate. At that time we were told you could have as many of the entrees as you wanted but you could only get one at a time, not a sample of several. We were also told the wait time for an entree was 20 mins each time. We just left that time.

We will be back this weekend and I was wondering if they had come to their senses and put the entrees back on the buffet.

Thanks for your help.::MickeyMo

We ate at Restaurant Akershus last month and at that time it was still a cold buffet with hot entrees available by request. We were told that we could order as many entrees as we wanted but only one at a time. I think it took about 15-20 minutes for them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I prefer to try a little of several different things I don't normally have. The current setup means that if you don't like the first entree, it could be 30-40 mins after you are seated before you get one you do. I also wouldn't want to waste a whole plate of food, just to see if I like it. That's just me though.

On to the Biergarten.

Akershus used to be my favorite restaurant on property, but I'm really disappointed with the change. :( The entrees they bring you are pretty big, and they come with sides, so you feel ridiculous ordering more than one.

Wish I knew why they decided to do this. :rolleyes:

We were there in august and we specifically told the server we wanted 2 entrees at once and I told him I didn't care if he made the portions less than standard servings because I told him I wanted the lamb and dh wanted the trout and we didnt want to share because we didnt care for each others selection. He was very accomodating. We did have to wait a while for dh second selection (salmon), I only had a taste of it and though it was very good. So I guess if you are not sharing, they might bring more than 1 out at once. It worked for us.

They'll bring each of you one entree, of course! :) They just won't bring one person two entrees at the same time!

We ate there in September and thought it was strange how you had to order one at a time - because we thought it was a buffet (not just a cold buffet). And yes it did indeed take 20 minutes for our entrees to come out.:rolleyes:

I ordered a second entree. The first one took about 20 min (which was fine as I was eating of the uffet. The second one came within 5 min. of my order.

But surely if there are 2 of you at the table, each person can order their own entree? My mum and I don't eat the same selections.

It must just mean that 1 person can't order two entrees for themselves at the same time.

Louise

I for one would be sad to see anyone miss out on Akershus because of their new policy. The new "hot foods served at your table" method is much better than the buffet, in my opinion. The food is fresher and is presented beautifully. We were just there last month.

First of all, here's the menu, cut and pasted from Deb's site:
Trio Grilled Sausages with Red Onion Jam

Soused Fresh Mackerel
Root Vegetable Broth and Mashed Red Bliss Potatoes

Grilled Atlantic Salmon
Roasted Garlic Custard and Mustard Dill Sauce

Venison Stew
Venison braised with Sliced Vegetables in a Lingonberry Demi-Glace and Drop Biscuit

Crispy Breast of Chicken
Wild Grain Pilaf and a Cranberry Syrup

Hearty Viking Favorites
Seasonal Vegetables
Mashed Rutabaga
Boiled Potatoes
Meatballs

So there are only 4 entrees. All are excellent. (There was a special the night we were there, mahi-mahi; not exactly Norwegian! :p )

Our server explained that the Hearty Viking Favorites could either be served as an entree, or as a side dish. She did say that each person could only order one entree at a time, but said nothing about 15-20 minutes between orders. So, I ordered the salmon and the Hearty Viking Favorites to begin. The salmon was presented as a small portion. It was fantastic.

Then I ordered the venison stew. It came out in less than 10 minutes, probably closer to 5. The stew was actually my favorite.

Anyway, please don't stay away from Akershus because of these changes. Go to Akershus because of them. The food was fresher-tasting than on previous visits.

We ate there a couple weeks ago.
The hot entrees are still ordered from the kitchen, and though I never ate there before the change, I think I prefer the current arrangement.
We were not given any restrictions on how much we could order from the kitchen; I got the impression we could order any combination, but I did not put it to the test. I asked for the Atlantic Salmon with mashed rutabaga and seasonal vegetables, and it was all served together. The salmon was much better than the buffet salmon at Cape May, as it should be when it is individually prepared. It was not a huge portion but neither was it "appetizer" size; it was more of a small to normal entree size. Between those dishes and everything available on the buffet, I had PLENTY to eat.

We ate here on Friday (12/12) and thought it was delicious. We each ordered an entree and the Hearty Viking before going to the cold buffet and our entrees came quite promptly. We each then ordered another before we were done the first. It sure didn't seem like 20 minutes.

Our favourites were the salmon and the Mackeral. We will definitely do Akershus again.

We attended the 5pm CP on 12/8 and had 6:40 PS for Akershus. My DH ordered the venison stew, DD (14) the sausages, and I ordered the chicken breast. DS (5) got the hotdog, which he refused to eat because it was brown:rolleyes: , but filled up on several things from the cold buffet. The hearty viking favorites were served all on one large platter for sharing and I made a special request for extra meatballs which the waiter gladly accommodated. After sampling the items, I would have preferred more of the boiled potatoes. They were cooked to perfection and with some butter and salt were delicious. DH and DD had agreed to share. DH thought the venison stew was pretty good (little spicy) and DD thought just OK. They both loved the sausages and thought the jam was an excellent touch and the waffles were a hit with DD. This was the only entree that was served in what I thought was an "elegant" manner. I thought the chicken breast was too dry (the cranberry sauce was just a small drizzle for decorative purposes around the edge of the plate). I only had a few bites before giving it to DH to finish, but I did like the rice. By the time our entrees arrived, I had really filled up on the cold buffet. I absolutely fell in love with the potato salad and MUST find the recipe. Perfectly small, diced potatoes, I don't think any eggs, I'm pretty sure red onion, and I think they used sour cream instead of mustard and just the right amount of dill. Definitely not my traditional potato salad, but so YUMMY!! My DH wanted more sausages, so he asked me to order them as well and at least try them. I think the waiter misunderstood because he brought all three of us a serving about 15 minutes later. I tried it, but didn't really care for it - especially the darker one. DD managed half, and DH stuffed himself like a sausage. I wish they still offered hot items on the buffet because I prefer to sample small portions of several different items. Yes, the quality is probably better ordering it fresh, but it would still be my preference to have it buffet style. I would definitely recommend trying it.

Akershus has always been one of our favorite restaurants, but after eating there last week I don't think we will be going back for a while. The salads, meats and cheeses were wonderful as always, but having to order entrees separately was not covenient and we ended up wasting a whole lot of food.

All we wanted from the Viking's Favorites was the mashed rutabagas, but our server told us that we had to have all or nothing, which ended up wasting everything but the rutabagas. The first entrees we ordered were lukewarm, and the restaurant was not very busy at the time, so I am not quite sure what happened. My spouse did order a second entree which was also lukewarm. Our server forgot to tell us that we could have the soup of the day (which is no longer on the buffet part of the meal), and so we found out that it was cream of onion (which was delicious and hot) only after seeing another table receive it.

While we both still enjoyed the buffet part of the meal, neither one of us cared for the length of time it took to receive our entrees and for the lukewarm temperature of the entrees. Plus we don't have big appetites and I just hated having to waste food the way we ended up doing...previously we would take small servings of the foods we liked and "taste" the new items, which isn't possible now without spending a good part of the afternoon waiting for (what was for us) over-large entrees.

We did fill out a comment card at the end of the meal and my spouse did mention to both our server and the hostess that the entrees were only lukewarm. Oh well, there are still all kinds of other restaurants to choose from(smile), and living in Minnesota I can always buy or make the same kinds of food as Akershus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter