Restaurant Rewind: Memories of more Magical Times. February 2020 Dining Report. UPDATE 13th OCTOBER - CALIFORNIA GRILL DINNER!

Sad about the booths but I do recall thinking there was hardly any place to sit when we went 2 years ago. I’m so hungry.

I love the Beach Club! We stayed there last year for our honeymoon. We only did walk up for Beaches n Cream but I can’t wait to try it out next time!

Following up on Karamell Kuche with No Way Jose! It’s practically a DFB food challenge final! That sundae is a star. I admit I once sat at the old counter all by myself at Beaches and Cream and ate an entire No Way Jose to drown my sorrows the day after my DH had an emergency appendectomy at Celebration Hospital in the middle of our vacation. It kind of worked. I was running on fumes at that point and it was the ultimate comfort food. 😍

Loving the reviews so far! I like the look of the Beaches and Cream renovation. I’ve only heard good things about the French Dip. I’m tempted. But not sure I could wrench myself away from getting my favourite - the banana split.

Oh you have me so wanting some beaches and cream. I hadn't seen many pictures since the renovation but glad to see they retained the charm while adding some space. That place is just way too small. I'm a sucker for some grilled cheese and tomato soup too (the plaza has great ones too) so I would have ordered exactly the same thing. Total comfort food

LOUNGING AROUND: Tune-In & Hollywood Brown Derby Lounges

Hello Dis-Fam!

Apologies for the bit of delay in posting this review. Quarantine has been hitting me hard and I’ve just had to focus on my mental health and day to day life. I’m sure many of you can relate so I won’t dwell on it too much but thanks for sticking with me and onto our regularly scheduled programming!

With lots of planned out meals upcoming in the second half of our trip, we decided that today would be more of a “wing it” day in terms of food and decided to give some lounges a try!

After an unsuccessful attempt at getting a RotR boarding group, we found ourselves in Hollywood Studios with empty tummies and decided to give Tune-In Lounge a try!

We’d heard good things about the food at 50’s Prime Time Cafe but the concept of being yelled at, made to stand in the corner and all that shtick TERRIFIES us. Props to all of you brave enough to handle dining antics but I’m the sort of person who panics just ordering the food let alone being yelled at to eat it. So we decided that we’d give the lounge a go as we’d heard they serve the same food but without the angry cousins.

We started off with the

FRIED HERB AND GARLIC CHEESE.

served with raspberry sauce, grapes and apples.

This was just ok. The middle was delicious and creamy Boursin cheese and went great with the apple and grapes. The breading on the outside was ok. It was course and didn’t really have a great firm texture which I think this dish really needed. Perhaps I’m overly sensitive to that because the bread stick element on this was AWFUL. It felt like it was meant to be a firm grissini texture breadstick that had gone stale and soft. Like not bread that had gone hard - a floppy cracker. Very unpleasant. Other than that this was an ok appetiser but I wouldn’t get it again.

Next we decided to share

A SAMPLING OF MOM’S FAVOURITE RECIPES

Golden fried chicken, fork tender pot roast, and traditional meatloaf with all the fixings.

I love a good sampling platter of different things so this seemed right up our alley and a great way to get to taste a lot of the menu without filling up all available tummy space!

On it we got to try:

Meatloaf

I personally think this was the best of the bunch. Meatloaf isn’t a big thing in Australia and the few times I’ve had it I’ve not been overly fond of it. I thought this had a good flavour and a nice, firm texture. Overall it was a nice classic dish that definitely transported you into that 1950’s vibe.

Fried Chicken.

This was really nothing to write home about. I know a lot of people really rave about the chicken here and maybe we got an off day but MAN was that bland. It felt like it had no seasoning at all and had just soaked up all the oil from the fryer. This would be a definite pass for me in the future.

Pot roast

I really enjoyed this - but I love gravy and casserole style dishes so this wasn’t a shock. I’ve certainly had better pot roast, even in WDW, but it was a solid element on the plate that was deserving of its spot.

The mash potato side was great (love me some American mash - you guys just get it right!) but the green beans here were so garlicky they just weren’t for me. Em ate most of them (I think partially trying to apologise to her body for the previous nights No Way Jose challenge she’d put it through) but agreed not only was there a lot of garlic but it had a raw taste too.

I decided to indulge in an adult beverage because while sitting at the bar it just felt right! I tried

DAD’S ELECTRIC LEMONADE

Vodka, blue curaçao, sweet-and-sour, sprite and souvenir glow cube.

This was a hit for me but I love blue drinks. I swear it’s like the child in me going up to the bar and playing adult. It was sweet but had a great zing to it and I love a light up glow cube so this was a winner.

Overall I’d say Tune-In Lounge just isn’t for us. The food was very meh and without the ambiance to carry it, which we wouldn’t go for, there just isn’t a lot of appeal for this location for us. I’m really glad we tried it though so we can knock it off the list and keep a spot open for something we love!

Such as...

Ok. So after doing a few rides around DHS - including my first ride on Slinky Dog Dash which was awesome! We headed to see if we could get a table at

HOLLYWOOD BROWN DERBY LOUNGE

We were immediately seated under a shady umbrella that was most appreciated as it was frightfully hot that day. It’s amazing how much shade makes a difference in the Florida heat.

We decided grab some items off the small bites menu.

THE FAMOUS HOLLYWOOD BROWN DERBY COBB SALAD

Finely chopped greens, turkey breast, bacon, egg, crumbled Bleu cheese, avocado, chives, Cobb dressing.

Going into this I could not understand how a salad could be so hyped. Famous? Surely it’s just some assembled leaves and miscellaneous ingredients? Nope, I get it. It’s delicious.

There is something special about this salad and it’s awesome. It’s an awesome combination and I love the fact that when it’s all mixed together each element still shines through but they all manage to complement each other. There was also a weird sugar crouton bread thingy on the side that went really well with it. I also really enjoyed the texture of this. Because everything was so finely chopped it was easy to get a bit of everything in every bite and it was very much enjoyed. I never thought I’d say this but I’ll definitely be returning to the Brown Derby Lounge purely based on a salad.

But the salad wasn’t the only winner here. We also tried the

FILLET MIGNON SLIDERS

Angus beef, Hazen blue cheese, cognac mustard, red onion jam.

I wasn’t too keen on the idea of the red onion jam and Emily was hesitant about the cognac mustard so we got the sauces on the side and tried them out as we wanted.

These were fantastic! You’ve definitely gotta be a blue cheese person because there’s an awesome sharp bite from the cheese that just knocks these out of the park. The bread was lovely and soft where it needed to be but had a nice crunchy exterior to keep the integrity of the slider together. The beef itself was well cooked and tender and was definitely the star of the show. I loved the mustard sauce as well and would definitely get them again.

I also decided to try a sneaky

Pomegranate Martini

- and I’m so glad I did as it was fantastic. Light, fruity and refreshing, it was the perfect accompaniment to an excellent lunch.

Overall we loved Brown Derby Lounge and will definitely be back. Everything we ate was amazing and it’s made us consider putting the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant on the list for next time. Yum!

UP NEXT: HARAMBE NIGHTS

Love the Brown Derby Lounge. We'd had a terrible experience in the restaurant several years ago so we were hesitant to give it a try. But I'm so glad we did. I like you wondered how a salad could be so hyped but it was the perfect balance of everything. Next time we go we'll have to give those sliders a whirl. They look and sounds delicious

Following along...we're hoping to make it to DW in October, after having to cancel in April. Looking forward to your Harambe Nights review!

That salad! I would so love to create it at home, but I don’t think I have the knife skills.

Harambe nights is on my next trip list, I’m looking forward to your review of it.

I just found your report (loving it!) and am now following along, living vicariously through your dishes. :)

Hello there lovely people.

I’ve been wanting to write this dining report since we returned from Disney World in February. But as we all know, since we left the most magical place on earth, things have gotten a lot less magical all over the earth.

I don’t know if it’s a good time to post fun stuff, or whether or not these reviews will be relevant once the parks open up again - but honestly I could use a distraction and I’m sure I’m not the only one. So let’s stroll down memory lane, hand in sanitised hand, and review some Disney food!

WHO:

My name is Janelle and I’m 30 years old from Victoria in Australia. I was travelling with my best friend Emily 31 and we are both total Disney fanatics.

WHY:

Emily travelled to both Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World before, so when she suggested it for our 2015 trip to the USA - I decided to give it a try. Guys, I fell head over heels with the place. It’s the one place that always makes me happy and just makes my little heart sing with joy. We try and go as often as we can and this year was the 5 year anniversary of our first trip - we had to celebrate by going back, right? And this time we were going to do it big - DDXP big! Yep. We were taking on the Deluxe Dining plan - and we were ready!
WHEN:

8th of February to the 20th of February including travel days. I’m not including anything about travel days in the report because no one wants to see long haul flight food from Australia cause that is hell. I shall spare you the 33 hr journey from start to finish just to get there - with this one glorious food exception at LAX.

View attachment 482907

Yes, Earl of Sandwich you sweet beautiful angel. I can tell you these tasted like gosh dang heaven after 20hrs on a plane.

I got the Holiday Turkey because I am all about that Sunday Roast/Thanksgiving vibe. This one has Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy and mayonnaise.

View attachment 482908

She may not be winning any beauty pageants but boy does she deliver on the talent portion.

Emily got her favourite as well which is the Earl’s Club. It’s Turkey, bacon, Swiss cheese, lettuce, Roma tomato, and sandwich sauce. She’s a sucker for a good sandwich sauce.

View attachment 482909

While our Earl of Sandwich experience wasn’t technically AT Disney world - it was a nice little taster before the main event.

So while the world outside is turbulent and you might be feeling uneasy, I hope you’ll join me in a little light relief and a whisk back to our culinary adventures as two ambitious Australian girls take on the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan!
I think it's the perfect time for a new report, thanks for writing it! With coronavirus simultaneously shutting down work and recreation for a lot of us, there are endless hours to waste on the internet. Thanks for the distraction and entertainment!

Earl of Sandwich is SO good, what a yummy start to the trip!

THIS, however - can have all the tummy space it wants.

Holy guacamole, that looks delicious! And how have I not tried ooey gooey toffee cake yet??

Yum! I love how you describe your dishes. So right at this moment I'm craving a No Way Jose, and Filet Mignon Sliders!

I am loving this report and your food choices! I just read from the beginning, so I had too many comments in mind and now I can't remember them all, so I'll just follow along for now.

HARAMBE NIGHTS

Hello all my Disney Pals! It’s me Janelle! I’m sorry! I’ve worn a red rose in my lapel so you can recognise me after such a lengthy separation!

I truly am so sorry for the big gap in posting. As I said in my previous post - I’ve been really struggling mental health wise with pandemic stuff and then - well it all just got worse, particularly for my state in Australia and for all the world stuff that has gone on since then. I actually started writing this in June and have only just managed to pick up the computer again to write. Can we please make 2020 over like at the end of August? Let’s just call it quitsies. That’s seems like a nice time to just chop it off and cut our losses.

So as per the title, I’m going to try and hark back to the Disney bubble, those majestic, happier times, and share a little bit of joy and I hope you guys can find a little minute of peace with me. There’s a lot to cover in this update (which is another reason why it’s felt so daunting to get back into this!) as it’s a pretty impressive special event but I’ll do my best to cover as much as possible!

Em and I had been looking forward to Harambe Nights pretty much from the second we heard about it. We love ourselves a good food graze and this trail of African tastiness just totally fit the bill.

We arrived at the Animal Kingdom check in point and were issued with our lovely bands and felt very swanky heading into the VIP section they’d roped off for us at the train station. Now I’ll admit - we were starting off the evening with rocky emotions as we’d been running late and thereby running sweaty. Damn you Florida heat. I get cranky with three things: heat, crowds, and running. So... it was a tough start to say the least.

I’m not sure how much you guys want to know about the entertainment and elements surrounding the food but as this is a food review I’ll mainly stick to describing the dishes with little atmospheric bits littered between. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll elaborate on what you’d like to know!

To cool ourselves off we started off with a beverage:

KITAMU COOLER
Refreshing Flavours of Mango and Pineapple infused with a slight heat from chipotle peppers

This was nice and you could definitely tell the peppers were in there but they were a nice rolling heat, not sharp to the tongue. If you’re really anti spice or it’s just a stinking hot Florida day and you just fancy something icy cold you might want to pass on this one but it was a nice spicy ‘kick’ start to our adventure.

I also tried a HARAMBELLINI

South African sparkling wine blended with tropical fruit juices.

This was lovely, refreshing and super tasty. It was, you know, a Bellini - but it was great and hit the spot.

We moved pretty quickly onto the food because we’re obviously not wasting time on that front when we have so many wee dishes to try. Here we have:

BEEF PIE
Minced beef pastry with Tomato-date jam

This was not like an Australian meat pie so it was a bit off putting for us. For those who haven’t had one - ours have a much more gravy like texture in the middle with a pie crust surrounding it. I would say this felt more closely aligned to a dough empanada but with South African spices in the middle. It was ok, but I probably wouldn’t get it again just as personal preference.

Next in line we decided to try

CHACUTAMATATA NDOGO
Chef Mwanga’s cheese and fruit.

For the sake of your eyes I’m omitting the only very poorly lit, very badly blurry photo I of this. Instead I ask you to close your eyes and engage your imaginations to imagine some cheese cubes and some fruit in a small paper cone. It was cheerful easy option for kids that went well with the Bellini. No complaints but no raves either.

BREAD AND DIPS
Focaccia and Pepperdew Hummus.

I thought this was light and tasty and a nice starter bite for the event. The bread was soft and had a good flavour while the hummus had a bit of spice flavour but little heat which we really liked. I think this is exactly what you expect from this dish. It was well executed and we love us some bread and dip.

KITFO
Mitma spiced Ahi Tuna with Ginger Aioli.

Full disclosure - we are not fish people. But as this was the first station of the night we decide to give everything a sample and this was SUCH a blunder. If you think you’re really not going to like a dish at this event - don’t waste room at the beginning. There is so much awesome stuff ahead that I promise that later you’ll be staring wistfully at a plate of food wishing you hadn’t had that weird funky fish dish at the start - even if it was just a bit. The flavour profile on this even without the fish was just weird and the texture was off as well. This felt like it was trying to be Asian inspired but didn’t quite meet the mark while not tasting African either. It was a confusion fusion. This was probably my least favourite thing we ate all night but if you’re into tuna it might be worth a crack.

After this we were off on Rafikis Planet Watch train to our next location which was exciting because we’d never ridden it before despite having meant to give it a go.

When we arrived at the station we were greeted by Rafiki and Timon and if you’re a character person they are SUCH a big part of this event. They were the best interaction we had all trip and met us several times without a queue and got lots of photos. There was also a Lion VR experience as well as getting a “Simba Swoosh” - which was paint put on your forehead from a coconut a la the film - It was fun especially for Em who was a big Lion King kid growing up!

We hunkered down into the treats and eats and started with

CHARCUTAMATATA
A selection of Meats and Cheeses

Yes this had basically the same name as the last little cone filled with cheese but this time it had salami and tiny little peppers in it. I preferred this version but again it’s just a basic easy pleasing option for picky eaters.

KACHUMBARI
Local tomatoes, cucumber, sweety drop peppers, and citrus.

This was a really nice and light refreshing plant based option that we super enjoyed. I akin it to a good bruschetta topping without the bread. I’d try this one again.

BOERIE ROLL
South African Farmers Style Sausage with pepperdews and pickled vegetables.

Em and I were pumped to try this and might be why we were SO disappointed when we tried it and hated it. There was something off about this flavour that neither of us can quite put our finger on. It had the texture of a breakfast chicken sausage and the accompaniments just didn’t blend well together. It was a good portion but that’s of little consequence when the dish itself doesn’t quite come together. Wish this one had been good as we love a good “snag” as we say in Oz!

POPCORN

This wasn’t listed on the little booklet menu thingy they gave us but it was a spiced curry flavoured popcorn. It was alright, I wouldn’t waste tummy space on it but you got it given to you in a box so you could always take it with you and try it at home!

Next we rolled onto the little dessert bitties they had going on at this stop:

TRAIL MIX BAR:
Granola, chocolate chips, raisins and honey.

This was tasty and a decent portion for a “bite sized” plate. It had a great texture and had just the right amount of sweetness from the honey and chocolate without being over powering. (Though I’m sure Emily’s only criticism would have been “more chocolate!”)

And lastly and CERTAINLY not least for this stop on our African train journey we had:

TOFAA
Chocolate caramel-dipped green apples.

I mean. Is the description not enough? These were delicious and if I wasn’t holding back at this point for the final and more important food stop I would have gotten more of these. The apples were tangy and crisp and the smooth caramel and chocolate complemented them perfectly by balancing out the tartness. These were definitely the best item of this stop and a good contender overall too!

I’m going to end this update here before we get onto the main event “station” of this event as there are a LOT of photos and I’ve run out of space. This was such a fantastic event with so much variety that to put it into one post would be doing it a disservice.

I will do my absolute best to get into part 2 quickly but thank you guys for being patient with me. Take care of yourselves until we meet again at Harambe village!

Last edited:
HARAMBE NIGHTS CONTINUED:

As we jumped onto the train for our last stop of the night we realised we’d made a teensy mistake. I believe there are about 3 departures to the last train stop (Don’t quote me on that) and we unfortunately didn’t realise that by getting on the train when we did we’d be waiting for every straggler. Every last “just one more bite” and “just one more photo”, and “Jimmy give that back!” that were left. While this wasn’t a massive deal and there was plenty of time still when we arrived at the final destination - we didn’t KNOW we’d be waiting about half an hour on a wooden bench staring at a slowly emptying station. In their true Disney magic however, Timon and Rafiki did their best to entertain us - dancing, pulling pranks on each other and even blowing me kisses! It was fun but we were very excited when the train got on its way.

When we arrived at our final stop and got settled we were absolutely blown away by the ambience and majesty that was a closed Animal Kingdom at night. If you’re wanting to feel VIP, the feeling of strolling into a fairy light covered marketplace surrounded by incredible music and delicious smells just can’t be beat. We flashed our wrist bands with pride and found ourselves a lovely quiet table just for us.

We started off with:

GRILLED LAMB
With goats cheese polenta and roasted garlic sauce.

I LOVED the lamb dish. I had read one of the very few reviews I could find on this event early on and the writer had said that this lamb dish was phenomenal and they weren’t kidding! This was really well cooked and perfectly pink. The goats cheese polenta was a soft, creamy consistency and made a great complement to the lamb. The sauce was not a strong garlic flavour but was just the right amount to complement the dish and tie it all together. Overall this was a real winner and shouldn’t be missed.

CORN DOG

This was a corn dog. It was good but not like a fancy, hand dipped version or anything. It was very average kid friendly food but we got one as corn dogs aren’t really a thing in Australia so they’re still a treat for us. I wouldn’t waste tummy space on this one again but it’s a decent option for picky eaters who know what they like.

CHAR-GRILLED STEAK
With herb infused mealie and chakalaka with red wine sauce

This was a really decent dish and I would definitely eat it again. What really shone here was how well the meat was prepared and cooked which definitely the star of the plate. The accompaniments were good but nothing to write home about. If you’re a steak lover, this one is definitely worth giving a go just for the fact that they managed to get such a juicy, tender steak into what is basically a mass catered event. It was really well executed.

TANDOORI CHICKEN
With fingerling potatoes, kool slaai, and mango sambal.

While the presentation was lovely, the tandoori chicken was one of our least favourites of the night and was super underwhelming. The flavour was just a bit nothing - not spicy enough for curry lovers but probably too exotic for those with milder tastes. It just missed the mark on all accounts for that reason. For us the potatoes with it were a bit soggy and sad and it all just didn’t come together as it should have. Pass on this one and save room for other stuff.

CHICKEN TENDERS

These were fine but had a weird gritty texture. They’re not the usual Disney chicken tenders so don’t be expecting that but they’re an easy kid option that were fine enough.

FALAFEL
Spiced Chickpea Fritter

We’ve had our fair share of falafels before but this was just so incredibly dry and powdery in texture. My mouth gets dry just re looking at the photo. This also didn’t have a good “spiced” flavour. I think this suffered a similar fate to the Tandoori where they were trying to play it safe to appeal to broader tastes but there were so many options for milder taste buds it would have been nice if they pushed the boat out with their “spiced” dishes. This was a pass for us.

RIBS WITH BBQ SAUCE

Honestly these were another hit for the event. These are just some nice tasty bbq ribs and was an awesome comforting dish that was super tasty. It was in the “for all ages” aka kids section but most certainly shouldn’t be missed by the adult folk.

SMOKED HONEY-GLAZED PORK BELLY
with white bean purée, caramelised apple-bacon chutney, and curry apple gastrique.

Look at it. Just look at it in all it’s glistening glory. Guys, I can’t tell if it’s tears or drool rolling down my face right now being reminded of just how incredible this dish was. If you do not get this dish while you’re at this event you might as well hand back your wrist band as you’ve wasted your time. Go on, I’ll wait. But seriously - this was PHENOMENAL. This little dish rivalled some of the best food we had on the trip full stop and it was sensational. All the flavours went together perfectly and the sticky, crisp pork belly was cooked to perfection. The apple chutney and gastrique just bend together with the meat to create little bites of sweet salty harmonious mouth joy. I’m slightly ashamed to say how many of these I ordered so let’s leave it as even though I think they thought about calling security I still don’t think we ordered enough. This is such an amazing blend of flavours you seriously won’t regret giving this a try.

GRILLED SWEET CORN
With farmers cheese, chilli-lime spice, and citrus aioli.

The ribs, pork and this corn were all from the same station and they were seriously cranking out some real winners. This corn was delicious. Sweet, flavourful and well cooked. I don’t know who the farmer is that made the delight cheesy morsels on top as well but he did a stellar job. This street corn held its own again some arguably fancier dishes at the event and was a real hit, especially next to the ribs for which it made a perfect side.

MACARONI AND CHEESE

(Why yes there is more pork belly in that shot how strange...!) This was tasty, comforting and also went well with the corn and ribs for a nice bbq meal. It was simple but well executed and a bit fancier than just a standard macaroni but nothing off putting for you average kiddo. A good cheesy option for all ages.

And now with our bellies full of pork belly, we moved onto desserts which I’ll have to pop in yet another post due to photo limits so apologies but onto the last bit!

CONTINUED NEXT POST:

Last edited:
HARAMBE NIGHTS CONTINUED:

There were a decent array of deserts available so while we didn’t try a huge amount - we certainly weren’t lacking when it came to choice.

CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES:

The chocolate covered strawberries, while a standard dish, were juicy and huge and really well made. I loved the texture of the little chocolate chips on the outside and the lightness of the fruit was most definitely well received after our food fiesta.

THE LION S’MORES POP

The s’mores pop was good and had a super cute design. It was very soft marshmallow with a nice crumble of graham cracker and tasty chocolate coating. It was a great little sweet treat and I’d get it again. Even if just for the photos - I mean come on it’s mufasa!

CHOCOLATE POT DE CREME

This was a good silky pudding style mousse with some crunchy textural details and a very strong chocolately flavour. It was decadent but in such a great way and although I only managed a bite, this was a real hit with chocoholic Emily.

PASSIONFRUIT POPSICLE:
White chocolate coated passionfruit popsicle with strawberry candy pearls and candied citrus.

This icy treat was tart and creamy and was overall a good option but we were disappointed they did not have any left of the dark chocolate blueberry version when we got to the booth. Emily really had her eye on the chocolatey flavoured one but alas we were out of luck. This was good though and was a light and refreshing option to end off with.

Overall we thought this event was incredible. The entertainment was fantastic, particularly the band in the last marketplace who were phenomenal. The last stop wasn’t crowded, people could go at their own pace and being in Animal Kingdom at night on our own was such a great atmosphere and something special that really needs to be factored into the value of this event.

As we waddled out of the event space we were each handed a gift bag that included a souvenir cup as well which really just was the cherry on top of a fantastic evening.

We would definitely do this again without hesitation in the future and while it was most definitely expensive - they really did make sure that there was enough entertainment and food to really make you feel special and like you’d been treated to a magical evening.

NEXT UP: TIFFINS

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!