Restaurants

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
Which are the best restaurants ? Not so much a la carte, just nice food.
Are there any nice restaurants that are offsite but quite close ?

When I visited DLP 4 years ago, the food in the park was awful. Very overpriced for what you were getting.
Maybe I was just visiting the wrong places :confused:

Are the meals generaly better in the hotels or the Disney Village ?

We enjoyed our meals at DLP! The restaurants we enjoyed : the Yacht Club at the Newport Bay, the Parkside Diner at the Hotel New York, the Rainforest Cafe (surprisingly) , and we had some lovely coffees and pastries from somewhere on Main Street!! ( The name will come to me if I think hard enough!!) If you are a coffee lover as I am, the French know how to serve it! Far better than the coffee they serve in WDW)

For fast food, we liked the pizza from Pizzeria Bella Notte....... um, again, I'm going to have to think more to remember others.

LEAST favourite fast food was at Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet - the daftest and most inefficient queuing system I've seen and I don't like that vast warehouse like interior, and Planet Hollywood- only went because the boys wanted to - the usual mediocre fare served lukewarm :rolleyes:

Thanks Shirley :D
I'm going to start taking notes of reccomended restaurants.

I LOVE coffee. Especially Latte. One thing I do remember from my last trip is the chocolate waffles from the carts.
I could just eat one of those now. Downed with a Latte mmmmmm :p

Thanks Shirley :D
I'm going to start taking notes of reccomended restaurants.

I LOVE coffee. Especially Latte. One thing I do remember from my last trip is the chocolate waffles from the carts.
I could just eat one of those now. Downed with a Latte mmmmmm :p

Sounds like a good idea to steer clear of Buzz Lightyears - some friends of mine reckoned they got food poisoning after eating there.

I second Parkside Diner at the New York and if you want to splash out a bit, the Hunters Grill at Sequoia is nice if you like meat. A place that looks a bit uninspiring, but offers mounds of really very good food, is Annette's Diner in the Disney Village. And when you go I think that the new Bavarian theme restaurant in DV will be open - I'm looking forward to hearing what that's like.

The only restaurant we've eaten in the park itself is the Blue Lagoon. Great atmosphere, but the food's not really worth the price. Maybe you could just try it out for a dessert.

I think the food at DLP has improved in the last 3 or 4 years, both in terms of the range of stuff on offer and the quality. There should be sufficient variety to satisfy just about all tastes.

I'll add another vote for Anette's Diner in Disney Village. This serves good burgers, chicken, ice cream sundaes, etc, all in a fun atmosphere. If you want a proper full-service restaurant, but not 'up-scale' food/prices this is a good option. It is very popular, so eat early or late to avoid the queues. We often pop out of the parks for an early lunch at Anette's (although it's in Disney Village it's only a few minutes walk from both main gates).

For fast food with a UK slant I would vote for Toad Hall for traditional fish&chips, roast beef sandwiches, salads, etc. This is the only place at the resort which does proper fat chips rather than the skinny french fries served everywhere else!

For more unusual offerings I would say that Restaurant Agrabah in Adventureland is a good place to try, offering a range of arabic & mediterranian inspired food. This is an 'all you can eat' buffet. Great themeing, so worth a visit if only for this.

For pizza I would say Bella Notte or Colonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost (my favourite for pizza) are the best options. However, I would like to make a special mention for the PizzaBurger at Buzz Lightyear's establishment. Although the venue has its problems, the burger where the bun is made out of pizza bases is unusual and worth a try!

For full service, high quality food in Disneyland I would say that the Blue Lagoon or Walt's are first class. The setting for the Blue Lagoon is amazing (it's actually part of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride!) and I enjoy the food there a great deal (although some express disappointment that portions are a bit small). Walt's is another great restaurant, with rooms overlooking Main Street. Honourable mention goes to the Silver Spur Steakhouse (if you like steaks) with it's open kitchen which allows you to look at the chefs and their flaming grills.

In the Seqoia Lodge I like both the Beaver Creek Tavern and Hunters' Grill. If you really want to push the boat out the California Grill in the Disneyland Hotel, with its award winning chef, is regarded by some as the best restaurant operated by Disney in any location around the world. I've eaten there once and enjoyed it, although it wasn't cheap.

Not eaten much in the Walt Disney Studios, so can't offer any advice for that park. In general I would say that if you don't like queueing you should plan on eating early or late (eg midday or after 2pm).

Regards

Rob

Thankyou both :D
I must have gone to the wrong places when I visited, although Rob did say that the food has improved in the last 3 - 4 years.
Is there a site that lists the restaurants locations and what fares they serve ?

There are not any sites that I've found that list in any detail what's on the menus at the restaurants. The official DLP website lists the restaurants and includes a one line description of the food served, and the DLP INternet Guidebook has a few restaurant reviews (look for details in the description of each of the lands of Disneyland. Each section describes attractions, shops and restaurants).

The food does seem to have improved, particularly with regard to vegetarian offerings. I used to write to DLP to complain about how bad the food was (especially for veggies) but a few years ago I felt compelled to write to congratulate them on their improvements. Hope you think the same in June.

Regards

Rob

I think Rob's summation is pretty good. We're just back from a one night/2-day stay at DLP (will post a review shortly!), and while the fast-food options remain pretty ordinary, IMHO, there are a few stand-outs. Pizzeria Bella Notta definitely offers the best pizza and pasta, and the Restaurant Agrabah (when open - it was closed both Sunday and Monday this week) is a nice alternative to burgers and hot-dogs. I also had a decent chili con carne at the Fuente Del Oro Cafe in Frontierland, but I also felt prices had crept up a bit since last year - a meal for four at Colonel Hathi's (2 adult pizzas, 2 drinks, 2 kids meals) was 30 euros, which seems a bit much to me.

Simon, more research for the 2nd Edition?! I'll get back to you with a date for meeting up soon - I keep on forgetting to ask Jane!

Regards

Rob

Yes, Rob, how did you guess :teeth: Needed to have a look at the Jungle Book Carnival (and keep two boys happy for part of half-term :rolleyes: ).

we also enjoyed the Restaurant Agrabah, and Walts - when we were there they had a cheaper lunch time menu operating (as well as their regular full price menu) which meant it was a more reasonable alternative for lunch.

We also tried the Toy Story place and it was awful - complete chaos, very noisy, lousy food, and the only place I encountered CMs who wouldn't or couldn't speak English. I lost a shopping bag in there and went back later to see if it had been found, and couldn't find a single person who could speak English to help me. It was very frustrating. (The bag did turn up the following day at City Hall, and had all sorts of things in it, like Katie's Minnie Hat, that we hadn't even realised we were missing).

we also had an afternoon tea (cakes and coffee) at the Saloon (i can't remember what this is called), which was pretty good, I think this may have moved to a new location now.

Our all time favorite meal/experience was the Buffalo Bill Wild West show - I thought it was a bit pricey and we nearly didn't go, but we had a superb evening and would go back again.

Bev

Best meal we had last visit was the Steakhouse in the Village. Expensive yes, but worth every penny (or rather, Euro). However, Annette's gets a big thumbs up for their Chubby Checker Sandwich (think of a grilled cheese toastie, but with mustard and lots of chunks of chicken).

I would have had a great time at Hunter's Grill at the Sequoia Lodge but I cut my thumb open on one of their VERY sharp steak knives while trying to slice a bread roll and had to sit for the rest of the meal with my napkin wrapped round my thumb holding it in the air to try and stop the bleeding. DW found this hilarious and to this day loves to remind me of it whenever possible. :mad:

Evening buffet at Innoventions at Disneyland Hotel I thought was not worth the money unless you're desperate for characters. And all we got was Chip & Dale (oops, Tic et Tac!) and as there was only the two of them, they spent about 5 seconds at each table.

In the parks themselves, the two pizza places (Bella Notte & Colonel Haiti) have identical menus and are more than reasonable. I've had a good meal at the Cowboy Cookout Barbecue and Toad Hall, but the worst place in my opinion is the fast food counter attached to the Hyperion Theatre. The food isn't great, but it's the service that is absymal. It is probably the biggest place in the park based on the number of serving windows, but none of them are ever open, even when it is busy! (I have a theory that there is a rule there where the queue must be exactly ten people long because whenever I pass there, the queue is always the same length - so if 30 people are waiting, they only open 3 windows regardless of how many staff are there!)

The only place I've eaten in the Studios is the one on the right as you enter Studio 1. I had a fairly good chicken burger from there, but my other half still raves about the prawn salad she got. Considering it was a pre-packaged salad from a counter service place, she was expecting a handful of mouldy lettuce leaves that had maybe been shown a picture of some prawns once, yet she got one that probably would have been considered good enough for a table service restuarant (with absolutely tons of prawns)!

On the whole I think food has improved since I was first there - the Village and the Hotels are now on the whole very good, and while the Parks still have some way to go, they are getting there.

Originally posted by steve_rob
worst place in my opinion is the fast food counter attached to the Hyperion Theatre

Agreed - I'd rather starve! Avoid this place at all costs.

Regards

Rob

we saw rather a lot of characters at Innoventions, but we were there very early - we had the first seating. There was Chip and Dale, Mickey, Eeyore, some Cat from Pinnochio, maybe others, I'll have to check my photos.
I didn't like the food though, and the chaos with the Birthday cake rather put a dampner on the evening (we had ordered a birthday cake, and they couldn't provide it)

On that same note - we were very impressed with the restaurant in the Hotel Cheyenne. It's not fancy food but the staff were superb, and the cake they provided for us (at short notice) was amazing. They all came through with Cowboy Goofy and sang Happy Birthday to Katie while banging on pots and pans - it was really fun and she was thrilled.

Bev

Hi

We had nice meals at Annette's Diner and Parkside Diner at the Hotel New York.

DO NOT go to Cafe Mickey - the food is not worth the money and we were very disappointed. I think their selling point was character interaction. So if you like characters that's fine but don't expect the food to be good.

Sue, I'm a bit surprised at your remarks on the food at Cafe Mickey (not that I doubt you for a second). I've had several excellent meals there and I find the menu quite imaginative. Can you remember what you had there and what it was that you didn't like about it?? Was it soon after it opened last year or at the end of a meal-shift (i.e. at the end of a breakfast or lunch session), perhaps???

Do they serve any other fare than seafood at The Blue Lagoon ?
I'd love to eat there to see the theming, but I hate seafood.

There is normally at least one meat-based, and one vegetarian offering along with the fish and seafood choices.

Regards

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!