Retailer Stars, Good Enoughs and Duds This Holiday Season

Not sure if this is a Star or a Dud, but it'll probably make you all laugh...

My husband and I have been joking for a while about buying a Squatty Potty (google it if you're unfamiliar). So I looked on Amazon the other day and saw they had a 20% off coupon for the Squatty Potty, so I went ahead and ordered it and thought it would be funny for him to open Christmas morning. Well I was home when the delivery came today and was surprised to received two large, identical Amazon boxes... yup, you guessed it- they sent us two Squatty Pottys!! I was cracking up and DH didn't know why. They only charged us for one, and we really don't have the need for the second one since our second bathroom is the downstairs guest half bathroom. I suppose I could contact Amazon about returning it, but I imagine they'll probably just say to keep it... I may give it to my mom haha.
I was thinking you were going to say your husband ordered you one too!

My husband and I have been joking for a while about buying a Squatty Potty (google it if you're unfamiliar). So I looked on Amazon the other day and saw they had a 20% off coupon for the Squatty Potty, so I went ahead and ordered it and thought it would be funny for him to open Christmas morning. Well I was home when the delivery came today and was surprised to received two large, identical Amazon boxes... yup, you guessed it- they sent us two Squatty Pottys!! I was cracking up and DH didn't know why. They only charged us for one, and we really don't have the need for the second one since our second bathroom is the downstairs guest half bathroom. I suppose I could contact Amazon about returning it, but I imagine they'll probably just say to keep it... I may give it to my mom haha.
I had that happen once from LTD Commodities...though it wasn't a squatty potty lol

I ordered a christmas lighted canvas print. Got 2 of them in error. Called them up and they said keep it. I don't really have anyone who would want it so I put both up just in different parts of the house lol.

A lot of those coupon deals on Amazon are for buying multiples of the product. I’d check the billing just to make sure you weren’t charged for two.

Star-Shutterfly. I ordered cards on Sunday. My estimate was Dec. 11-14. Got an email yesterday saying my order would be here on the 9th. I just assumed it would be the labels but when UPS knocked on the door yesterday it was cards and labels. So not just early but a day extra early.

Bed Bath and Beyond finally sent a shipping notice. Two full weeks after I made the order.

More Duds

UPS: DD#2 ordered items from Walmart. One was supposed to be here on the 6th, the other the 7th. The 7th one was out for delivery all day yesterday...has not shown. The 6th one was marked out for delivery on the 6th, and is now MIA. They have to be here before Monday, because the movers are coming to pick all the stuff up for her move to Cali that day, and they won't be able to fit bookshelves in their little car for their drive there.

USPS/Amazon: I ordered a Dorbz figure for DD#2. Was shipped UPS to USPS (suremail) and has...disappeared. Was supposed to be here on the 3rd. No sign of it. Can't reorder, because it was an add-on item, and I'm done shopping until DH's bonus comes in (which will be after she leaves for Cali). Amazon won't resend the item because..add-on.

Amazon: I ordered a couple small items (not add-ons) for GS#2. One was scheduled to be here via Amazon's delivery service yesterday. I had another package arrive (from them) but not the one for GS. It's MIA...lost somewhere between them putting on their delivery vehicle and it making it here. The other item is now showing out of stock, and while my order says "arriving Monday", with the way my luck with Amazon has been going, it's not gonna show. They're for his upcoming plane trips, to help keep him occupied, and cost twice as much in stores. Ugh.

And no packages arrived today from UPS. This is so ridiculous. They are "experiencing a higher than expected volume" and "packages will be rescheduled for the next business day". Who knew the next business day after Wednesday is Friday or Monday is the next after Thursday???

Another Amazon fail. They shipped 2 packages (one arrived, one is MIA with UPS) to my house, that were ordered to be shipped to DD#1's. It says so on the order email, but online, they are listed as being shipped to me. Someone hit a button somewhere and changed the shipping address.

According to Amazon:
View attachment 287584

This is my guess as to why they would not re-send an item. Their add-on pricing structuring is basically offer low-priced items. It's possible the PP could locate the desired item and it not be included in the add-on program it may just cost more (as designed).

You also cannot exchange items that were included in the Add-on program:
View attachment 287585

That's not a 'new low in customer service' for Amazon. They have a program specifically designed to give you lower-priced items. By doing so they have limitations.

I don't care that it's the add-on price structure. I ordered an item, I should get it, and because it was lost in their mail system, I should be able to have it replaced at that original price, whether it's an add-on item or not. An add-on item, I might add, that was shipped by itself. As were the other 4 add-on items on that order; each shipped and arrived separately from each other and from the main of my order. I don't understand why they can't reship the item, that was shipped by itself in the first place.

I think next year, I'm just sending money to everyone. I can send it via Facebook Messenger, it arrives instantly, and I don't have to deal with these shipping headaches.

I don't care that it's the add-on price structure. I ordered an item, I should get it, and because it was lost in their mail system, I should be able to have it replaced at that original price, whether it's an add-on item or not. An add-on item, I might add, that was shipped by itself. As were the other 4 add-on items on that order; each shipped and arrived separately from each other and from the main of my order. I don't understand why they can't reship the item, that was shipped by itself in the first place.
Oh for sure I get it. But it's their policy-I don't make their rules on their Add-on program I just pulled up with their rules said.

As I mentioned in a later post you could try and get partial credit from Amazon and see if they would be willing to work with you on that so that could help you purchase the item again (either as an add-on or by itself) and get a little bit off at least.

FWIW we just got a delayed package notification today;package was supposed to arrive yesterday, then it was today, and now it's Sunday. It was just shipped today with an arrival date of Sunday instead of yesterday. It's a 3rd party seller however through Amazon so not a Prime problem.

Oh for sure I get it. But it's their policy-I don't make their rules on their Add-on program I just pulled up with their rules said.

The rules you posted addressed purchases and exchanges, it said nothing about packages lost during shipping. The poster met the conditions listed with their purchase The loss situation was neither a new purchase, nor an exchange - it was a replacement - so none of the information you posted has anything to do with the issue.

In fact, if you read all of Amazon's Help section, you won't find anything there at all about lost shipments from them, for any type of order.

That's because they have this lovely clause buried in their "Conditions of Use":

RISK OF LOSS
All purchases of physical items from Amazon are made pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items pass to you upon our delivery to the carrier.

Now, if you buy a $500 TV and it gets lost by the shipper, how are you going to feel if Amazon invokes this and tells you they won't do a darn thing about it? (It's happened - Google it). Are you going to say "oh well, it's written in their rules!" and just let it go? That seems to be your position on everything.

How many folks here even realized that Amazon has this clause? They seem to do their best to bury it, by not calling it out in their Help section, where most people would look for it. In the online world, it is generally thought that the carrier is an agent of Amazon (Amazon selects and hires them, not you) and that Amazon will deal with any loss issues. But with this clause, Amazon explicitly disputes that.

Last edited:

The rules you posted addressed purchases and exchanges, it said nothing about orders lost during shipping. The poster met the conditions listed with their purchase. The loss situation was neither a new purchase, nor an exchange, so none of the information you posted has anything to do with the issue.

In fact, if you read all of Amazon's Help section, you won't find anything there at all about lost shipments from them, for any type of order.

That's because they have this lovely clause buried in their "Conditions of Use":

RISK OF LOSS
All purchases of physical items from Amazon are made pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items pass to you upon our delivery to the carrier.

Now, if you buy a $500 TV and it gets lost by the shipper, how are you going to feel if Amazon invokes this and tells you they won't do a darn thing about it? (It's happened - Google it). Are you going to say "oh well, it's written in their rules!" and just let it go? That seems to be your position on everything.

How many folks here even realized that Amazon has this clause?
We can go back and forth if you want on the Add-on program. I posted an slightly unrelated aspect to the Add-on program. My words were "You also cannot exchange items that were included in the Add-on program:" That wasn't me saying "hey here's the exact quote on Amazon's website that pertains to the exact issue the other poster was having". My point on posting about returns and exchanges was to show that Add-on items are severely restricted in what you can do on Amazon-in other words it's a program with stricter limitations than majority of items purchased on Amazon. Apologies you were misunderstanding that aspect of my comment.

The poster was told Add-ons are ineligible for re-sending. I understand why Amazon is saying that. Doesn't mean the poster cannot work with Amazon to get some sort of resolution but it doesn't mean the only resolution they would get is Amazon re-sending the Add-on item.

I think next year, I'm just sending money to everyone. I can send it via Facebook Messenger, it arrives instantly, and I don't have to deal with these shipping headaches.
Next year I think I will do the four things gifting that I read about on another thread....one thing to read, one thing to wear....what were the others???? (A want, a need, a wear and a read). That's for my college kids. In laws and I all already discussed no more gifting kids after this year since 6/7 kids will be 19-25. And us adult in laws already don't exchange. And I will tell DH we can just get a nice big something we need for the household as a joint gift.

And the four things for my kids....I will buy in a store and NOT online.

Last edited:
Give gold stars to
Snapfish!

ORDERED : photo Mugs and a magnet. Arrived in just a few days

Also Gold Stars to cents of style. Had two separate orders from them. They are efficient!

Next year I think I will do the four things gifting that I read about on another thread....one thing to read, one thing to wear....what were the others???? (A want, a need, a wear and a read). That's for my college kids. In laws and I all already discussed no more gifting kids after this year since 6/7 kids will be 19-25. And us adult in laws already don't exchange. And I will tell DH we can just get a nice big something we need for the household as a joint gift.

My SILs family has a rule that the kids are cut off in the extended family gift exchange at age 25. Something like that might be a good rule to consider. It doesn't seem fair that the younger kids don't get as many years of gifts as the older kids did if you just stop doing it one year LOL

My SILs family has a rule that the kids are cut off in the extended family gift exchange at age 25. Something like that might be a good rule to consider. It doesn't seem fair that the younger kids don't get as many years of gifts as the older kids did if you just stop doing it one year LOL
Well, my three are pretty much the youngest(19, 19 and 21) so I don't mind if they get less years than their cousins did. Plus if we just skipped a gift for the 25 year old but gave his 23 and 20 year old siblings gifts....well that would not fly. We will still get the 13 year old niece gifts for a few more years. She has no siblings so it's easy to continue with her.

My kids and GKids will all be across the country next year. :( So, even if I bought in a store, I have to ship. I'll just send money and tell the parents what to buy and put our names on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter