• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Returning to off-site resorts

Stan1701

Earning My Ears
Hi. We'll be leaving soon for our first trip. We'll be staying at an off-site resort that's nearby to the Disney area (Vistana). After reading a lot of the wonderful advice here, our plan is to get to the parks early and take a break during the middle of the day, returning to our resort to relax and cool off. My question is: Are any of the parks time-consuming to leave? In other words, can we just walk back to the parking lot, or will we have to take a train to a tram to a shuttle to a walkway to a bridge to the parking lots? It's been so long since we've been there that we just don't remember how long it takes to actually get in and out of the parks from the parking areas.

Thanks for your help and tips.

Stan

I will comment on MK and MGM. We stayed off-site last year and visited only these 2 parks.

MGM - you will take a tram to the MGM parking area from the park exit. Just remember or write down what section you parked in. Trams are good and we didn't have to wait long for any to pick us up.

MK - You will need to take the monorail to the TTC(transportation & ticket center). Then take a tram to the MK parking areas. Doesn't seem to take that long though.

Each park has their own parking lot area I think. So you don't have to transfer a bunch of times to get there. Just a tram away except for MK, but that is pretty quick. We didn't mind it anyway, we were just glad to be riding. ; )

The only park that has intermediate transportation from the parking lot to the park is MK. You take either the monorail or boat to/from the TTC from/to MK.

The other major parks, AK, EPCOT, DS are within walking distance to the park, but you have the option of riding the tram (easier on the feet on a long day in the parks).

Have fun,:)

We always stay offsite and visit in August but have never left for a midday break but normally tour the parks primarily tour all day long until closing. In my experience, we have never had a very difficult time at all while leaving the parks even during our departure at closing time when "everyone" is leaving and always average no more than a 10 minute commute (sometimes less)from the time of pulling out of WDW and turning into the offsite hotel parking lot. There are several trams that pull up really regularly to the loading area in a matter of minutes rather promptly for transporting guests back to their vehicles. So, if you want to leave midday for a break while presumably a large portion of the people are still inside visiting and later afterwards, I would say your commute will likely be a rather smooth one; you're at a real super advantage in having your own vehicle for transportation. Hope this helps some!

As stated above, MK requires a monorail ride or ferry ride back to TTC to then catch the tram to your car. Other parks have tram only; HOWEVER,

It can take you a while to get back to the park entrances. If you are at American Adventure in Epcot, for example, you will have a LONG walk back to and through Future World to get to the parking lot. At MK, you have to walk back through Main Street, etc. Plan accordingly so you are somewhat close to the main exit about the time you plan to leave.

As an alternative to actually leaving the property, consider: (1) a relaxing sit-down table service meal in an air-conditioned restaurant, Liberty Tree Tavern at MK for example; (2) lunch at a nearby resort, such as the Boardwalk or Yacht/Beach Club if you are back near France in Epcot World Showcase; or (3) sitting in some overlooked attraction like Hall of Presidents at MK, Flights of Wonder at AK, the booths at Sounds Dangerous in MGM.

I honestly think that the recommendations about returning to your resort for a mid-day break are primarily for those staying onsite - where the transportation (while always an issue) isn't so much of an issue.

I personally can't imagine fighting through all of the extraneous shuttles, monorails, ferries, etc. to get to my car in the parking lot, driving back to my off-site resort to rest, then returning and doing it all over again.

The posts above have given you accurate information about the fact that you don't just "walk into" the parks from your car.

If you do this - make sure you let us know how it went!

We always stay offsite. We almost always take a break in the middle of the day. We might finish a park then leave for a little bit before returning to epcot for Illuminations. I will admit, we've never been in August but I would guess it's hot. A break is not a bad idea. I do not know were Visitania is located. We stay on 192. When the crowds are low it does not take long for us to get to our hotel. Now, one of my friends is very familiar with Kissimmee and he never takes the wrong turn. Getting lost can be time consuming. I'd say it might take 30-40 minutes to get from the park to your hotel room

We usually stay off-site and have never had a problem taking a mid-day break. We always arrive at whatever park it is by 8:30 latest and therefore don't even need to take the tram to the entrance - just a 2-minute walk or less. From the time we pass through the exit turnstiles, we are back at our resort (Vistana) in 10-15 minutes (only negative is a very HOT car). The resort is on 535 and there is NEVER any traffic to deal with (& only one set of lights). I've stayed onsite too and we can get back to our offsite resort quicker with our car than with Disney buses to our Disney resort (unless we catch a bus at the right time - which rarely happens to us). The only exception would be the MK - it's not worth leaving this park and then coming back later in the day due to the whole ticket & transportation center/monorail thing. For this park, find a resting place (& there are plenty) within the park or at one of the resorts nearby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter