Reuters: Disney's ESPN Zone Eying Expansion

I found this pretty interesting. It is weird that they do not count the WDW location in the total number. Is the espn zone at the boardwalk considered something else?

It is telling that they count 20% of their customers as "sports fans" (and that is at the non-wdw locations).

DR

The ESPN on the Boardwalk is an ESPN Club. I have been to the ESPN Zone in Anaheim and the one on the Boardwalk is no ESPN Zone. But I like the Club, too.

Thanks for the clarification, Miss Jasmine. I had been wondering the same thing myself.

All in all, I think the expansion is a good thing for Disney, though I hope they are careful. They have to be wary of the same pitfalls Planet Hollywood fell into. I have only had appetizers at the Anaheim restaurant, and while they were good, I'm not sure I'm qualified to say they are right about having better food. But they definitely have an advantage over Planet Hollywood with respect to potential for repeat business.

Thanks for the info. We walked by the one at downtown disney west about a dozen times on the way from paradise pier to the parks, and we joked about going - especially on a college football Saturday - because we thought the one at BW was so mediocre - sounds like I should have checked it out, figured it was more of the same.

DR

If you get the chance again, I'd say yes, try it. The Anaheim one is very nice. If you can, try out one of the recliners down front. They have headphones, and you can choose which program you get the sound for. (There are multiple sports telecasts going on in front.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter