Rhône River Cruise Meets Thread

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
I’m so sorry this is happening to you. Please update us when you know more. We’re heading out on our first ABDs in June (Budapest and Danube) and ABD offered me flights that were departing too early as well. Fortunately, I noticed it before booking, but I quickly learned that lesson. You would think they’d have the time requirements loaded into the system so that non-compliant flights are flagged.
Thanks. You would think they'd have that coordinated, wouldn't you? I guess it's another case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Unfortunately not that rare with Disney. Especially when you're talking about their IT department...

Sayhello

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Another yay! I got my excursions for my Rhône River Cruise booked this morning! It was all coordinated with Mr & Mrs @Grifdog22 . So now the only thing left is buying train tickets to/from Normandy and to Lyon once they go on sale. :) Definitely looking forward to this!

Sayhello

• DollyM

Earning My Ears
    Another yay! I got my excursions for my Rhône River Cruise booked this morning! It was all coordinated with Mr & Mrs @Grifdog22 . So now the only thing left is buying train tickets to/from Normandy and to Lyon once they go on sale. :) Definitely looking forward to this!

Sayhello
    What’s the process to book the excursions and how/when were you notified? I’m going in June.

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
    What’s the process to book the excursions and how/when were you notified? I’m going in June.
    About 2 1/2 weeks ago (which is like 3 1/2 months prior to my river cruise, which starts on May 14th) I got my box, and in the box was a note that mentioned I should be getting an email soon with the link for the Adventure Handbook for our departure with info about booking excursions. I got the email either that same day or the next, I don't recall for sure.

When I downloaded the Handbook, it had the date for booking our excursions (Feb 11th for Adventure Insiders/DVC Members, and Feb 13th for First Time Guests). It also had the phone number to call.

The Handbook lists all of the available excursions for each day of the cruise, and allows you to checkmark the ones you want.

This morning I (and Mrs Grifdog22) conference called the ABD phone number, and spoke to a Vacationista, and went over each day & told her which options we wanted for AM & PM. She entered that into her system, then reviewed it with us afterwards. Once it was all finalized, she told us we'd get an email later in the day with all of our selections. She said it could take a while, but it only took a couple of hours for us. We lucked out, and everything we wanted was available, so I can't speak to the process if something you want is not available. We got through at like 8:10 in the morning (started at 8am) so that helped, plus our river cruise is far from fully booked.

We knew already what excursions we wanted, but I'm sure if you have questions that they would take the time to answer anything you wanted to know about the excursions.

Let me know if you want any other details!

I still miss my physical handbook. :(

Sayhello

DollyM

Earning My Ears
    About 2 1/2 weeks ago (which is like 3 1/2 months prior to my river cruise, which starts on May 14th) I got my box, and in the box was a note that mentioned I should be getting an email soon with the link for the Adventure Handbook for our departure with info about booking excursions. I got the email either that same day or the next, I don't recall for sure.

When I downloaded the Handbook, it had the date for booking our excursions (Feb 11th for Adventure Insiders/DVC Members, and Feb 13th for First Time Guests). It also had the phone number to call.

The Handbook lists all of the available excursions for each day of the cruise, and allows you to checkmark the ones you want.

This morning I (and Mrs Grifdog22) conference called the ABD phone number, and spoke to a Vacationista, and went over each day & told her which options we wanted for AM & PM. She entered that into her system, then reviewed it with us afterwards. Once it was all finalized, she told us we'd get an email later in the day with all of our selections. She said it could take a while, but it only took a couple of hours for us. We lucked out, and everything we wanted was available, so I can't speak to the process if something you want is not available. We got through at like 8:10 in the morning (started at 8am) so that helped, plus our river cruise is far from fully booked.

We knew already what excursions we wanted, but I'm sure if you have questions that they would take the time to answer anything you wanted to know about the excursions.

Let me know if you want any other details!

Sayhello
    Wow, thanks for all the details! If the timing is the same, I’m 1.5 weeks away from receiving my box and 4 weeks from booking. I’ll need to corral my traveling companions (on multiple reservations) to figure out a schedule.

I’m going to miss the physical handbook too. I didn’t really use it but I like having them as a souvenir. It seems like it would be more handy on a river cruise since there are options each day unlike on a land ABD.

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!

Sayhello
    [/QUOTE]

Tobi is so organized, efficient and what a joy to be around - and I second her statement about missing the physical handbook. I'm sorry but a printout from the computer just isn't the same.

• quinnc19

DIS Veteran
    I am also going in June and getting very excited! Sayhello, did you note any significant differences in the descriptions of activities in the handbook versus the general website?

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
    I am also going in June and getting very excited! Sayhello, did you note any significant differences in the descriptions of activities in the handbook versus the general website?
    No, I did not. The only difference I saw was that there had been an excursion at some point that had something to do with Goat Cheese that is gone from the lineup. Otherwise, it looked pretty similar.

Sayhello

Cousin Orville

Inventor of Air Cooling
    What’s everyone’s “must do” excursions for the Rhône? We’re booked on the Sep sailing.

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
    What’s everyone’s “must do” excursions for the Rhône? We’re booked on the Sep sailing.
    The Kayaking at the Pont du Gard, the Roussillon Ochre Trail, the Carrières de Lumière and the Truffle Hunting.

Also the Steam Train & Rail Bike in the Gorges du Doux, but that's one that we do altogether.

Sayhello

• Cousin Orville

Inventor of Air Cooling
    The Kayaking at the Pont du Gard, the Roussillon Ochre Trail, the Carrières de Lumière and the Truffle Hunting.

Also the Steam Train & Rail Bike in the Gorges du Doux, but that's one that we do altogether.

Sayhello
    The truffle hunting should be unique. Also looking forward to some of the wine tastings.

kerry annette

Lovin' llamas
    Truffle hunting! It caught my eye the first time I read through the itinerary. I’m definitely most excited about that one. Sad to hear the goat cheese and jam situation didn’t make the final itinerary. I was really looking forward to that one as well! Should be an amazing cruise. Every single day seems to be packed full of fun. Can’t wait!:dogdance:

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
    We are on the inaugural trip, but we have not yet been to France, so we added four nights on our own in Paris to play before the pre-night in Lyon where we are tagging with a beautiful and wonderful Disboards lady for a food tour and frolic in the city before the ABD trip. After the river cruise we've added a post night on our own in Marseilles which will take us out for most of the day in the Les Calanques on a small boat to cruise the caves, inlets and cliffs, as well as swimming and snorkeling. We then have a very late night dinner reservation for bouillabaisse in the event we haven't been able to find this on the ABD menu. Come on - it IS the south of France after all, right?

We are all in as "must do" on the kayaking, silk experience, steam train (that really excites me with the pedal railcars as well), the Arles tour with hiking and wildlife, the truffles--actually there is not a single activity on the schedule that doesn't just knock our socks off. We've probably over-peeked to see more on some of these experiences and the more we look the more we hate to exclude anything! We honestly have enjoyed the wineries so much on the "old" ABD South Africa trip, our add on in Australia, Italy, and living only a few miles from a very nice Virginia winery (with a wine club we frequent and enjoy), we decided this trip to try the other activities and bypass the wineries - but they sound terrific as well,

tgeorge

DIS Veteran
    @Grifdog22 - Im very interested in hearing how your post day in Marseilles goes. My husband and I are doing the Rhône trip next October, but I’m already looking at either an added day in Marseille or going out to Nice and staying there and adding a private tour to Monte Carlo and Eze from Nice.
    I hope you guys have a great time!

Mineu

DIS Veteran
    Due to some unexpected travel changes, we are considering the July 9th cruise. Any thoughts on weather this time of year?

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.