Rhône River Cruise Meets Thread

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. Please update us when you know more. We’re heading out on our first ABDs in June (Budapest and Danube) and ABD offered me flights that were departing too early as well. Fortunately, I noticed it before booking, but I quickly learned that lesson. You would think they’d have the time requirements loaded into the system so that non-compliant flights are flagged.
Thanks. You would think they'd have that coordinated, wouldn't you? I guess it's another case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Unfortunately not that rare with Disney. Especially when you're talking about their IT department...

Sayhello

Another yay! I got my excursions for my Rhône River Cruise booked this morning! It was all coordinated with Mr & Mrs @Grifdog22 . So now the only thing left is buying train tickets to/from Normandy and to Lyon once they go on sale. :) Definitely looking forward to this!

Sayhello

Another yay! I got my excursions for my Rhône River Cruise booked this morning! It was all coordinated with Mr & Mrs @Grifdog22 . So now the only thing left is buying train tickets to/from Normandy and to Lyon once they go on sale. :) Definitely looking forward to this!

Sayhello
What’s the process to book the excursions and how/when were you notified? I’m going in June.

What’s the process to book the excursions and how/when were you notified? I’m going in June.
About 2 1/2 weeks ago (which is like 3 1/2 months prior to my river cruise, which starts on May 14th) I got my box, and in the box was a note that mentioned I should be getting an email soon with the link for the Adventure Handbook for our departure with info about booking excursions. I got the email either that same day or the next, I don't recall for sure.

When I downloaded the Handbook, it had the date for booking our excursions (Feb 11th for Adventure Insiders/DVC Members, and Feb 13th for First Time Guests). It also had the phone number to call.

The Handbook lists all of the available excursions for each day of the cruise, and allows you to checkmark the ones you want.

This morning I (and Mrs Grifdog22) conference called the ABD phone number, and spoke to a Vacationista, and went over each day & told her which options we wanted for AM & PM. She entered that into her system, then reviewed it with us afterwards. Once it was all finalized, she told us we'd get an email later in the day with all of our selections. She said it could take a while, but it only took a couple of hours for us. We lucked out, and everything we wanted was available, so I can't speak to the process if something you want is not available. We got through at like 8:10 in the morning (started at 8am) so that helped, plus our river cruise is far from fully booked.

We knew already what excursions we wanted, but I'm sure if you have questions that they would take the time to answer anything you wanted to know about the excursions.

Let me know if you want any other details!

I still miss my physical handbook. :(

Sayhello

About 2 1/2 weeks ago (which is like 3 1/2 months prior to my river cruise, which starts on May 14th) I got my box, and in the box was a note that mentioned I should be getting an email soon with the link for the Adventure Handbook for our departure with info about booking excursions. I got the email either that same day or the next, I don't recall for sure.

When I downloaded the Handbook, it had the date for booking our excursions (Feb 11th for Adventure Insiders/DVC Members, and Feb 13th for First Time Guests). It also had the phone number to call.

The Handbook lists all of the available excursions for each day of the cruise, and allows you to checkmark the ones you want.

This morning I (and Mrs Grifdog22) conference called the ABD phone number, and spoke to a Vacationista, and went over each day & told her which options we wanted for AM & PM. She entered that into her system, then reviewed it with us afterwards. Once it was all finalized, she told us we'd get an email later in the day with all of our selections. She said it could take a while, but it only took a couple of hours for us. We lucked out, and everything we wanted was available, so I can't speak to the process if something you want is not available. We got through at like 8:10 in the morning (started at 8am) so that helped, plus our river cruise is far from fully booked.

We knew already what excursions we wanted, but I'm sure if you have questions that they would take the time to answer anything you wanted to know about the excursions.

Let me know if you want any other details!

Sayhello
Wow, thanks for all the details! If the timing is the same, I’m 1.5 weeks away from receiving my box and 4 weeks from booking. I’ll need to corral my traveling companions (on multiple reservations) to figure out a schedule.

I’m going to miss the physical handbook too. I didn’t really use it but I like having them as a souvenir. It seems like it would be more handy on a river cruise since there are options each day unlike on a land ABD.

Sayhello
[/QUOTE]

Tobi is so organized, efficient and what a joy to be around - and I second her statement about missing the physical handbook. I'm sorry but a printout from the computer just isn't the same.

I am also going in June and getting very excited! Sayhello, did you note any significant differences in the descriptions of activities in the handbook versus the general website?

I am also going in June and getting very excited! Sayhello, did you note any significant differences in the descriptions of activities in the handbook versus the general website?
No, I did not. The only difference I saw was that there had been an excursion at some point that had something to do with Goat Cheese that is gone from the lineup. Otherwise, it looked pretty similar.

Sayhello

What’s everyone’s “must do” excursions for the Rhône? We’re booked on the Sep sailing.

What’s everyone’s “must do” excursions for the Rhône? We’re booked on the Sep sailing.
The Kayaking at the Pont du Gard, the Roussillon Ochre Trail, the Carrières de Lumière and the Truffle Hunting.

Also the Steam Train & Rail Bike in the Gorges du Doux, but that's one that we do altogether.

Sayhello

The Kayaking at the Pont du Gard, the Roussillon Ochre Trail, the Carrières de Lumière and the Truffle Hunting.

Also the Steam Train & Rail Bike in the Gorges du Doux, but that's one that we do altogether.

Sayhello

The truffle hunting should be unique. Also looking forward to some of the wine tastings.

Truffle hunting! It caught my eye the first time I read through the itinerary. I’m definitely most excited about that one. Sad to hear the goat cheese and jam situation didn’t make the final itinerary. I was really looking forward to that one as well! Should be an amazing cruise. Every single day seems to be packed full of fun. Can’t wait!:dogdance:

We are on the inaugural trip, but we have not yet been to France, so we added four nights on our own in Paris to play before the pre-night in Lyon where we are tagging with a beautiful and wonderful Disboards lady for a food tour and frolic in the city before the ABD trip. After the river cruise we've added a post night on our own in Marseilles which will take us out for most of the day in the Les Calanques on a small boat to cruise the caves, inlets and cliffs, as well as swimming and snorkeling. We then have a very late night dinner reservation for bouillabaisse in the event we haven't been able to find this on the ABD menu. Come on - it IS the south of France after all, right?

We are all in as "must do" on the kayaking, silk experience, steam train (that really excites me with the pedal railcars as well), the Arles tour with hiking and wildlife, the truffles--actually there is not a single activity on the schedule that doesn't just knock our socks off. We've probably over-peeked to see more on some of these experiences and the more we look the more we hate to exclude anything! We honestly have enjoyed the wineries so much on the "old" ABD South Africa trip, our add on in Australia, Italy, and living only a few miles from a very nice Virginia winery (with a wine club we frequent and enjoy), we decided this trip to try the other activities and bypass the wineries - but they sound terrific as well,

@Grifdog22 - Im very interested in hearing how your post day in Marseilles goes. My husband and I are doing the Rhône trip next October, but I’m already looking at either an added day in Marseille or going out to Nice and staying there and adding a private tour to Monte Carlo and Eze from Nice.
I hope you guys have a great time!

Due to some unexpected travel changes, we are considering the July 9th cruise. Any thoughts on weather this time of year?

Well, we all know that all of the 2020 Rhone trips were cancelled. Perhaps because we (until now) have been overly optimistic about so many things, we rebooked the trip for 2021, for the June sailing. They only listed four sailings. Once the EBD deadline passed, I checked the ABD website and all four sailings were priced the same. A few weeks have passed, and today I checked again. The two Adults only trips are still listed as taking reservations, but the other two are call for pricing/waitlisted only. Given that the boat was less than half full, I am concerned now that (yet again) the rescheduled trip is likely to be cancelled. We are nine months out and it would have been remarkable for two trips that were less than half full to fill within a couple of weeks. Am I being paranoid or on the right track? I have only booked two of the 23 pre/post trip items we had set up last time, and of course with COVID they are now all nonrefundable. I am concerned about booking anything else...Okay adventurers, sharpen those pencils and tell me what you think please.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!