Rhine Christmas Market Opinions

Youneek1

Earning My Ears
I’m exploring our first ABD trip and would love to do a European Christmas Market river cruise. While I’d love to do the Danube, we’re on a waitlist for 2023, and I’m impatient. I’m very torn about the Rhine option. It looks wonderful, but it cruises over Christmas, which is not an issue for us in any way. I’m just concerned about the towns and cities along the route being closed for the holiday. Has anyone done this sailing, did the cruise have activities planned for Christmas since I assume we won’t be really getting of the boat that day? The itinerary shows us going ashore, but I really doubt that’s accurate. Any opinions or insight would be fantastic.

As a second option we are considering Germany, or Italy, again in middle December of 2023. Has anyone done either of those adventures over the holidays with any opinions to share?

I haven't, but keep in mind that several European countries have 2 days off around Christmas. Both the 25th and 26th are official holidays in Germany, many stores and museums etc will be closed.
The 24th isn't an official holiday, but you will find a lot of businesses close early this day for Christmas Eve.

When you do your research for Christmas in Europe look for the customs on these three days.

I'm doing a Christmas market land tour on my own this year with my ds. We are going to Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, Nuremberg and possibly Neuschwanstein Castle (the castle that inspired Cinderella's Castle). We will travel by train between the cities (so easy in Europe), though will have to hire a driver to take us to Neuschwanstein Castle.

Dd and I were on a cruise with A&K to Antarctica on Christmas Day a few yrs ago. They had a Christmas dinner on the 24th, a visit with Santa Claus for the kids and there was a gift left by our door on the morning of the 25th (1 A&K Antarctica wool hat and a Falkland Islands tree ornament -- this always mystified me as there were 2 of us in the room). We stopped in the Falkland Islands that day and a good number of stores and cafes opened up for the 3 cruise ships that were visiting that day. I packed a small Christmas tree with decorations and lights and also had numerous decorations for our room and a stocking and stuffers for dd. I also dressed up for dinner; there was a huge NYE party on the 31st!

I haven't, but keep in mind that several European countries have 2 days off around Christmas. Both the 25th and 26th are official holidays in Germany, many stores and museums etc will be closed.
The 24th isn't an official holiday, but you will find a lot of businesses close early this day for Christmas Eve.

When you do your research for Christmas in Europe look for the customs on these three days.

Note that the 24th of December 2023 is a Sunday & the 31st December is a Sunday

So it will be a LONG HOLIDAY time in Europe

Offices Close on Friday 22nd December & Re Open on Tuesday 2 nd January or Wednesday 3rd January 2024

It is Very Liklely that MOST PUBLIC BUILDINGS will also Closed for that time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter