Rider Switch changing (Started June 16th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at Disney World is "absolute" in any way - no matter what the issue, it varies from CM to CM, Coordinator to Coordinator, Manager to Manager, Shift to Shift .......... not even printed policy is adhered to. AND not sure what you mean "very incorrect" ... that implies that everyone who has experienced these denials (me included) are not telling the truth.

Not my intent, and perhaps poorly worded. Disney has, at various times, given actual Rider Switch passes at attractions without height requirements. I've actually seen in person one for Toy Story Mania. It's a matter of accommodations for guests for a variety of reasons, and which can be handled in a variety of ways. Rider Switch passes is one way they can handle things. But as I've often said, it is not a _guarantee_ that you can get one, aside from the height requirement. They may not do it as much these days without the kiosks handy to print them, so they may have cut way back on the option.

Disney website lists all the attractions that RS is available. I think the only one of the list that has no restriction is FEA and I don't know why they would offer it there as it's a similar ride to others without. It should not be offered on any other rides that have no restrictions as you open that for abuse.

Given that the web site has been wrong for the better part of a decade on a number of things, I wouldn't use it as an example. :) It in fact used to list a number of non-restricted, non-FP rides, which confused people even more. But it does look like they've updated it very recently. Heck, they've finally fixed it to mention that three guests are allowed! And given they are talking about the procedure for the new electronic system, they are finally trying to be more accurate about it. And I will concede that with the changes over the past couple years they will likely need to make those other accommodations at non-restricted rides, at least those without FP, differently going forward.

@doconeill
The problem with the scenario you described is that is often not an accurate example of many of the wait times and also does not account for the length of the ride itself and any pre-shows.

For Soarin and Test Track, if you want to stick with two tier one rides, one has a pre-show and the other a pre-design element. Whenever I've gone, going through the FP line for either of these rides tends to take about 45 mins full circle from entering the queue to being out of the exit line. Say the standby is an hour and let's add 15 mins for the pre-activities, ride length, and exiting. Standby at 75 mins.

For a family without RS to FP one and standby the other, they're looking at 120 mins. For the rider swap family who needs everyone to have a FP for one, use RS, standby the other and use RS, it would take 45+45 for the FP ride, then 75+45 for the standby ride. That's 310 mins vs the non-RS family's 120. If the RS family didn't need FP for everybody and split it between the two rides, the length would be 45+45 for the first and 45+45 for the second. 180 mins total to ride both, or a full hour more than the non-RS family.

Let's say you can make it through FP in 30 mins, and leave standby time at 75. Non-RS family will take 30 (FP ride)+ 75 (SB)= 105 mins. RS family FP one and standby the other: 30+30 (FP) + 75+30 (SB)= 165 mins. If the RS family has FP for both, it still takes them 30+30 (1st FP ride) + 30+30 (2nd FP ride)= 120 mins... Still 15 mins longer than the non-RS family. This scenario can apply whether someone does this for tiered or non-tiered rides. It all depends on the overall time in line and on the ride when comparing how long it will take someone with RS vs someone without. Most rides simply are much longer than a 10 min posted FP queue.

The numbers were simplified to make the example easy. The time it takes entrance-to-exit (E2E) of FP varies greatly by attraction and whether there were previous maintenance issues, etc. I chose two non-pre-show attractions. Sure, you can pick two others and throw numbers that show it doesn't work, but it depends on if those numbers are realistic. In my experience at those attractions, if the FP E2E is taking 45 minutes, standby is a LOT longer than an hour.

I did something out. The number of guests that COULD take advantage in this way is low. It is affected by the group size for one, and it requires mental calculations to see if it would actually save time. The example simply shows that it CAN provide an advantage, when the times are right. Not that they are guaranteed to at any specific point in time. So those that actually could and would take advantage of it dynamically was likely very small, and likely not really the driving reason for the change.

Given that the web site has been wrong for the better part of a decade on a number of things, I wouldn't use it as an example. :) It in fact used to list a number of non-restricted, non-FP rides, which confused people even more. But it does look like they've updated it very recently. Heck, they've finally fixed it to mention that three guests are allowed! And given they are talking about the procedure for the new electronic system, they are finally trying to be more accurate about it. And I will concede that with the changes over the past couple years they will likely need to make those other accommodations at non-restricted rides, at least those without FP, differently going forward.

I just looked .... only two. :rolleyes:

"If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one other Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass."

Who was complaining about kids and strollers?! Or RS, for that matter?! My point, which seems to have been lost on misinterpretations and assumptions - is that I find it outrageous that individuals would get angry over changes to RS. Disney doesn’t HAVE to offer it, that is my point. For individuals who have small children to think that because RS has been offered and is now being changed - and now is not so convenient for them - that it is wrong... that is the very definition of entitlement.
That is the very definition of choosing how you spend your money. RS is part of the value equation for families with small kids. Maybe you are the type that would go to Disney no matter the price or service level, but I am not. There are plenty of other vacations I can do, Disney knows that and offers services to attract me to them.

Sorry to hear about your disability, and not at all belittling it, but if I could do a one day swap, I certainly would take you up on it this morning...
Actually yes, you are, but I'm quite used to it.

I used to be a preschool teacher. Toddlers don't scare me.

I just looked .... only two. :rolleyes:

"If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one other Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass."

Hah...they've found a whole new way to be broken...when I looked, it said the exact same thing, except: "Please note that only 3 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass." And then I reload, and it says 2...so their content system is given out two different answers. I wonder what else might be different between them. :tilt:

I already see a difference - the "2 guests" version still mentions being given a Rider Switch Pass earlier. The "3 guests" version changes it to an "Entitlement". It still says "Pass" at the end.

Hah...they've found a whole new way to be broken...when I looked, it said the exact same thing, except: "Please note that only 3 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass." And then I reload, and it says 2...so their content system is given out two different answers. I wonder what else might be different between them. :tilt:

I already see a difference - the "2 guests" version still mentions being given a Rider Switch Pass earlier. The "3 guests" version changes it to an "Entitlement". It still says "Pass" at the end.

Bless their hearts they are priceless .... and inexcusable considering how easy it is to change content on a single page.

That is the very definition of choosing how you spend your money. RS is part of the value equation for families with small kids. Maybe you are the type that would go to Disney no matter the price or service level, but I am not. There are plenty of other vacations I can do, Disney knows that and offers services to attract me to them.

Your responses are all over the place, pivoting and drawing inferences where none exist in attempts to skew what I’ve said.

What is the very definition of choosing how to spend your money? Your sense of entitlement, thinking you deserve more than others’ who’ve spent the same money to enjoy the same space?

Entitlement : the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

I think in this thread and further discussion, people merely want to know the policy that is changing within weeks of their vacation so they know what to do. Personally, I've never used rider swap and some of it is kinda confusing to me. I'm hoping I don't need to use it for a very, very, very long time, at least with my own immediate family. I'm sure 99% of folks here would rather very easily go on the rides with their entire family instead of finagling with a system such as this. WDW and their lack of communication and uneven application of policy is what makes it difficult. If you don't like rider swap, then I don't see what you could possibly gain by discussing it.

Last edited:
Last warning before I close the thread. This thread is moving very fast but I did give a warning early on. This is not a place to discuss entitlement or the definition of entitlement. This is also not a place to tell people how to spend money. The topic is Rider Swap moving to a digital version and how that could change people's touring. Lets stick with that please.

Last warning before I close the thread. This thread is moving very fast but I did give a warning early on. This is not a place to discuss entitlement or the definition of entitlement. This is also not a place to tell people how to spend money. The topic is Rider Swap moving to a digital version and how that could change people's touring. Lets stick with that please.

Apologies, I have removed the off-topic information. I'm trying to get up to speed myself and explain it to some friends going in just a few weeks. It was hard enough to explain the previous version and then it changed on me.

Actually yes, you are, but I'm quite used to it.

I used to be a preschool teacher. Toddlers don't scare me.

Hmm, I'm not sure how you read it that way, but I'm sorry you did. Just as my experience having herniated discs does not let me know what it is like to live with what you have every day, your experience teaching children in school does not let you know what it is like to have my specific child. Luckily, my kid is awesome, but you had no idea of that when you responded.
That's what's been driving my crazy in reading this thread. Yes, the rider swap system had some issues that needed to be cleaned up, and this current fix looks like it may be adding more problems than it is taking away. Beyond that, we really don't know much, even though people are jumping to conclusions about what other people with children, without children, etc. should experience.
I agree that this thread has run its course, as people are writing from passion and not from experience. A new one should be started in a few days once we know how the system actually works, so we can see if the changes are as bad as some are concerned about or if they actually worked for the better.

Don’t have time to look right now but just a heads up if it hasn’t been posted. I’m currently at Star Tours and they are using the new riders switch. My wife and son road and then they scan mine and my sons bands they basically gave us an hour and 10 minutes from the Entrance. But of course most of the tablets are not working

Don’t have time to look right now but just a heads up if it hasn’t been posted. I’m currently at Star Tours and they are using the new riders switch. My wife and son road and then they scan mine and my sons bands they basically gave us an hour and 10 minutes from the Entrance. But of course most of the tablets are not working
Did you go through the FP or SB line? If FP, did they scan both of your FPs or did they only scan party 1's FP?

Did you go through the FP or SB line? If FP, did they scan both of your FPs or did they only scan party 1's FP?
We both did fast pass but they didn’t check to see if we had a fast pass when we told them writer switch they just added a new fass pass that was an hour and 10 minutes. Although it was all for nothing because they’re fast pass line Scan wasn’t working so they werent even checking for fast passes

I am just starting to see this on social media.

Of course they weren’t

Ugh, love Disney but not their IT

Yep we had it at Star Tours this morning too. Everywhere yesterday at Epcot was still paper, and we
rolled through all the FP attractions except FEA. Everything worked as it always has. This morning we encountered the digital system at ST, but when we were there, everything was working. They asked for the FP for YDD and DH, and have ODD, my mom and I the swap entitlement on our bands. They actually didn’t mention a time limit this morning but we swapped back to back so it didn’t matter. But once again, they did not ask for the swapping guests to have a FP.

Wasn't the "everyone in the party must have FPs" part of the news the most unsubstantiated? It could be that Disney is just getting their stuff together, or it could also be that this portion will never get implemented.

Wasn't the "everyone in the party must have FPs" part of the news the most unsubstantiated? It could be that Disney is just getting their stuff together, or it could also be that this portion will never get implemented.

Honestly that's the biggest question I had. I told my friends just to make FP for everyone who wants to ride that ride. That way, there isn't a problem later on. Worst that comes of it is that they would need to switch their FP to something the 2 year old can do instead of waiting in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!