Rider Switch response from DW

SaminFL

Earning My Ears
I have 1 child that is too short for some rides & another child that does not like the faster rides (SDMT etc.) so when planning FPs for our upcoming July trip, I was unsure if I should get a FP for my husband for the rides we'd be doing Rider Switch (especially SDD & FOP!). I wrote Disney and sadly, below was Disney's response. Just thought I'd share. I'm disappointed my husband cannot get FP to ride a different ride with the too short child (i.e. TSMM with a FP while my other kid and I ride SDD). It feels like the too short child is being penalized.

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! We are excited that you are going to be visiting us!

A "child swap" procedure is in place at our Theme Park Attractions, which enables parents to take turns experiencing our rides when a small child is in the party. After proceeding through the standard queue area at each Attraction, one parent experiences the presentation while the other remains behind with the child or children who cannot ride. At the conclusion of the ride, the parents simply change places, permitting the second parent to also experience the Attraction. However, in fairness to all Guests, we ask that only those individuals who did not ride with the first parent accompany the second parent riding. The following Attractions offer "child swap" procedure at this time. Magic Kingdom® Theme Park: Frontierland® Area: Splash Mountain® Attraction Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction Fantasyland® Area: The Barnstormer Attraction Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Tomorrowland® Area: Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway Space Mountain® Attraction Stitch's Great Escape! Attraction Epcot® Theme Park: Mission: SPACE® Attraction Test Track® Attraction Soarin'® Attraction Disney's Hollywood Studios® Theme Park: Star Tours®-The Adventure Continues Attraction Rock 'N Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park: Kali River Rapids® Attraction Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain® Primeval Whirl® Attraction Dinosaur Attraction Attractions are subject to change without notice.

When booking your FastPass+ selections, you should still book a FastPass for your husband even if doing the Rider Switch so as to guarantee that he will be able to participate in all of the rides.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Perry Rohm
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit."

Why wouldn't you just book separate FPs? You don't have to have everyone in your party for every FP. You + 1 for SDD and your DH + 1 for TSMM. Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're saying.

This is a hotly debated topic around here. In practice, the vast majority of rides will not require your husband to have a FP. The only reports I've heard of both adults needing a FP, which are sporadic, are are for SDMT and FOP. I guess it's up to you whether you are willing to risk it or not.

@ENJDisneyFan yes, we're not going to risk it for FOP, SDD, and SDMT. Disney needs to clearly state their Rider Switch policy online and have CMs enforce it uniformly (I am going to respond to their email saying exactly this). In the meantime, there will be disappointed kids and we are holding valuable FPs we may not need (right now we have them for SDD, FOP, & SDMT), depending on the whim of a CM at a ride.

Why wouldn't you just book separate FPs? You don't have to have everyone in your party for every FP. You + 1 for SDD and your DH + 1 for TSMM. Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're saying.

My husband, myself, and child 2 (age 4) want to ride SDD so my husband & I will have to Rider Switch. Child 1 (age 5) is scared of rollercoasters and wants to ride TSMM. I am not sending Child 1 on TSMM by himself (they are both Tier One) so he loses out on a 3rd FP because the Disney email says my husband needs a FP to guarantee he will be able to ride SDD.

For FPP - My husband, myself, and child 1 want to and are tall enough to ride FOP. Child 2 is too short. Obviously, I am not sending Child 2 on another ride by herself and she will lose out on a FP because the Disney email says my husband needs a FP to guarantee he will be able to ride FOP.

It sounds like it's up to the CMs and I'm not willing to risk not having a FP for my husband. So my kids both lose out and we're holding valuable FPs we may not need, depending on the whim of the CMs at each ride. Disney needs to clearly state their Rider Switch policy online and have CMs enforce it uniformly.

My husband, myself, and child 2 (age 4) want to ride SDD so my husband & I will have to Rider Switch. Child 1 (age 5) is scared of rollercoasters and wants to ride TSMM. I am not sending Child 1 on TSMM by himself (they are both Tier One) so he loses out on a 3rd FP because the Disney email says my husband needs a FP to guarantee he will be able to ride SDD.

For FPP - My husband, myself, and child 1 want to and are tall enough to ride FOP. Child 2 is too short. Obviously, I am not sending Child 2 on another ride by herself and she will lose out on a FP because the Disney email says my husband needs a FP to guarantee he will be able to ride FOP.

It sounds like it's up to the CMs and I'm not willing to risk not having a FP for my husband. So my kids both lose out and we're holding valuable FPs we may not need, depending on the whim of the CMs at each ride. Disney needs to clearly state their Rider Switch policy online and have CMs enforce it uniformly.

Ah! Now I understand. I wish you good luck with this. I've had wonderful experiences with WDW ride CMs, so I hope you will too.

If your kids are 4 and 5, they can't get on ANY ride by themselves... ;) That is kind of why Mom and Dad need FP+

Ah! Now I understand. I wish you good luck with this. I've had wonderful experiences with WDW ride CMs, so I hope you will too.

Thank you! in 2016, we actually had a CM tell my husband he needed a FP for Star Tours in order to do Rider Switch. It was odd, but it worked out since we just came back later when the wait was only 10 minutes.

If your kids are 4 and 5, they can't get on ANY ride by themselves... ;) That is kind of why Mom and Dad need FP+

Actually, it seems up to the CMs whether the other adult needs a FP. During a past visit, I had 1 FP for myself for SDMT and 1 FP for my daughter. We did a Rider Switch without a FP for my husband because my oldest did not want to ride it. So I first rode SDMT with my daughter and then my husband rode SDMT with my daughter again. The CM did not make my husband scan his magicband. They gave me a lanyard to pass to him after I exited the ride. I emailed Disney because during our last trip last month I witnessed a CM at SDMT giving a mom trying to do Rider Switch a hard time because she did not have a FP. And another CM weirdly gave my husband a hard time for Star Tours in 2016.

You may not be able to RS SDD. There have been many reports around the boards of people being denied RS when everyone in the party is tall enough to ride. There is one person who posts here quite often and has reported being denied RS with a very clearly disabled adult son. I’d have a “plan B” for any ride that the entire family is tall enough to ride.

Actually, it seems up to the CMs whether the other adult needs a FP. During a past visit, I had 1 FP for myself for SDMT and 1 FP for my daughter. We did a Rider Switch without a FP for my husband because my oldest did not want to ride it. So I first rode SDMT with my daughter and then my husband rode SDMT with my daughter again. The CM did not make my husband scan his magicband. They gave me a lanyard to pass to him after I exited the ride. I emailed Disney because during our last trip last month I witnessed a CM at SDMT giving a mom trying to do Rider Switch a hard time because she did not have a FP. And another CM weirdly gave my husband a hard time for Star Tours in 2016.

We visited n November and this is exactly what we experienced. My husband did NOT need a FP. We were issued either a rider swap ticket for up to three people good for several days or a lanyard for my husband to return. We had no issues w/ CM’s. They were always more than willing to issue to us without any questions. I have read about families experiencing difficulties; however, this has never been the case for my family.

You may not be able to RS SDD. There have been many reports around the boards of people being denied RS when everyone in the party is tall enough to ride. There is one person who posts here quite often and has reported being denied RS with a very clearly disabled adult son. I’d have a “plan B” for any ride that the entire family is tall enough to ride.

This does seem to be somewhat common, I read several reports on the TPAS board this winter about swapping at the loading area if the non-rider is tall enough but chooses not to ride. That means all parties entering the queue will need a FP+. Reports vary, though, so it's possible a RS might be given. If riding is really important to all except the 1 non-rider, I'd plan FP+ for everyone. You can try to change FPs for the "waiting party" if a RS pass is offered.

Enjoy your vacation!

We never had the whole party go up when we get the rider swap. We just pointed to them where they waited off in the distance when we asked and never had an issue for any ride. BIL was there 2 weeks ago and didn't have an issue getting rider swap on any ride either (with a too short child). I can't speak to getting it with someone tall enough but scared though.

I know it all depends on the CM and everything, but just wanted to share our experiences. I've really only heard it mentioned a couple of times on here if someone being denied the rider swap, so it seems more like it's outside the norm. Also, you can't always believe what you hear from CMs on the phone and in emails. On my last trip, I both called and emailed Disney about a question and received 4 completely different answers from different Cast Members... And we found out when we got to the parks that they were all wrong!

I can understand your frustrations though, and why you might not want to risk it. I hope you find a way to make it all work out.

I think the response from WDW makes perfect sense!
No child is losing out in a FP, just book a ride they want with the adult who will be with them.
Why should you get extra FP, for other family members or both parents, just because there is a short child? You can do RS in the regular lines, which is a nice perk, imo.

I think the response from WDW makes perfect sense!
No child is losing out in a FP, just book a ride they want with the adult who will be with them.
Why should you get extra FP, for other family members or both parents, just because there is a short child? You can do RS in the regular lines, which is a nice perk, imo.
The child will miss out on a FP if they have no adult to take them. For example, we would usually get 3 FoP FPs and 3 Na’vi FPs. My husband and the older kids would go on FoP and I would get rider swap and take the little kids on Na’vi. Then I would go on FoP while the little kids waited with my husband. If I am required to get FoP FP, that means by little kids can’t go on Na’vi because they have no adult to take them. This would mean waiting for about an hour for the adults to switch and do FoP with nothing for them to do.

I certainly hope Disney doesn’t have this policy for our upcoming trip. That is the sort of policy that could keep us from coming to Disney more! We go for the enjoyment of my kids, but we also want a chance to do the adult rides.

The child will miss out on a FP if they have no adult to take them. For example, we would usually get 3 FoP FPs and 3 Na’vi FPs. My husband and the older kids would go on FoP and I would get rider swap and take the little kids on Na’vi. Then I would go on FoP while the little kids waited with my husband. If I am required to get FoP FP, that means by little kids can’t go on Na’vi because they have no adult to take them. This would mean waiting for about an hour for the adults to switch and do FoP with nothing for them to do.

I certainly hope Disney doesn’t have this policy for our upcoming trip. That is the sort of policy that could keep us from coming to Disney more! We go for the enjoyment of my kids, but we also want a chance to do the adult rides.
The problem some people have with what you described is that your family is effectively fast passing both FOP and NRJ - both tier 1 rides at AK. Which doesn't seem fair to people who don't have a too short child and can only FP one or the other. The "fair" solution is for your family to FP NRJ and wait in the standby line for FOP w/ Rider Swap. Everyone still gets to ride both attractions, but you haven't doubled up on FPs. And you're only waiting in the standby line for FOP once, which is what RS was originally intended for. Just my .02

The problem some people have with what you described is that your family is effectively fast passing both FOP and NRJ - both tier 1 rides at AK. Which doesn't seem fair to people who don't have a too short child and can only FP one or the other. The "fair" solution is for your family to FP NRJ and wait in the standby line for FOP w/ Rider Swap. Everyone still gets to ride both attractions, but you haven't doubled up on FPs. And you're only waiting in the standby line for FOP once, which is what RS was originally intended for. Just my .02

Exactly!

There are rides and attractions other than tier one that you can get FP+ for.

This is what I've always thought policy was or should be. We used rider swap several times throughout our trip. We either took the little ones on a nearby ride/attraction they would enjoy or we got them a little treat or took them shopping for their souvenir. You don't have to sit there sulking and waiting for the rest of your party because you couldn't get FP+ for 2 major headliners. There are other options.

If it is important for you to experience both Pandora rides, then FP+ FOP and rope drop Nav'i.

That's interesting. We used child swap on several rides last Fall and only needed FPs for the first adult riding. The second adult entered with the child swap ticket. I had no idea we needed a second FP and none of the cast members ever asked for one.

Good point. Right now we have 3 FPs for SDD so worst case scenario one adult will just ride by themselves if we are denied a RS. Maybe someday my oldest will like rollercoasters!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!