Rider Switch response from DW

The child will miss out on a FP if they have no adult to take them. For example, we would usually get 3 FoP FPs and 3 Na’vi FPs. My husband and the older kids would go on FoP and I would get rider swap and take the little kids on Na’vi. Then I would go on FoP while the little kids waited with my husband. If I am required to get FoP FP, that means by little kids can’t go on Na’vi because they have no adult to take them. This would mean waiting for about an hour for the adults to switch and do FoP with nothing for them to do.

I certainly hope Disney doesn’t have this policy for our upcoming trip. That is the sort of policy that could keep us from coming to Disney more! We go for the enjoyment of my kids, but we also want a chance to do the adult rides.

Exactly this. Unclear policies like this are also making me second-guess renewing our annual passes.

My husband, myself, and child 2 (age 4) want to ride SDD so my husband & I will have to Rider Switch. Child 1 (age 5) is scared of rollercoasters and wants to ride TSMM. I am not sending Child 1 on TSMM by himself (they are both Tier One) so he loses out on a 3rd FP because the Disney email says my husband needs a FP to guarantee he will be able to ride SDD.

For FPP - My husband, myself, and child 1 want to and are tall enough to ride FOP. Child 2 is too short. Obviously, I am not sending Child 2 on another ride by herself and she will lose out on a FP because the Disney email says my husband needs a FP to guarantee he will be able to ride FOP.

It sounds like it's up to the CMs and I'm not willing to risk not having a FP for my husband. So my kids both lose out and we're holding valuable FPs we may not need, depending on the whim of the CMs at each ride. Disney needs to clearly state their Rider Switch policy online and have CMs enforce it uniformly.

I think your definition of "losing out" really is based on that fact that you won't sacrifice what you want to do for what the kids want to do. So, they are losing out because of what you choose. Your family could always do stand by for something - you don't always have to use FP.

I think your definition of "losing out" really is based on that fact that you won't sacrifice what you want to do for what the kids want to do. So, they are losing out because of what you choose. Your family could always do stand by for something - you don't always have to use FP.

Hey, DisneyOma before commenting you might want to ask yourself, "Am I making an assumption? Do I sound critical of a complete stranger on the Internet?' Because that is exactly what you just did. Not that it's any of your business, but 1 child wants to ride SDD and another child wants to ride FOP so we are doing exactly what BOTH children want to do. Mind your own business.

I'm confused- and honestly trying to figure this out...why this?
I'm disappointed my husband cannot get FP to ride a different ride with the too short child (i.e. TSMM with a FP while my other kid and I ride SDD). It feels like the too short child is being penalized.
He cannot get a FP for this ride with the short child? Cant he do that one, with FP, while you do the other ride with your other child ( also FP)?

You may not be able to RS SDD. There have been many reports around the boards of people being denied RS when everyone in the party is tall enough to ride. There is one person who posts here quite often and has reported being denied RS with a very clearly disabled adult son. I’d have a “plan B” for any ride that the entire family is tall enough to ride.

That could be me. :wave2: Yes we have been refused often because DS is an adult, tall enough. He is also clearly disabled and clearly can't be left alone outside a ride. We make it work and there is no reason others can't as well.

RS started before there was ever a FP system so families didn't have to wait in the STANDBY line twice. It is just a shame Disney has not kept up all their policies to match their newer systems in place. It does sound like there have been quite a few experiences in the last 6 mos or so of Disney requiring all to have FP+ to do RS at some popular attractions like FoP, 7DMT, BTM - with good reason. I won't be surprised if it includes Slinky Dog as well when it opens. Of course with Disney and so many cast members, procedures can change from shift to shift ... so the guests need to be prepared with Plan B.

How do we make it work? When some want to do SM, they do it and I do for my child .... I book my FP+ on a ride he likes and can go on. I don't mind doing that, because I want him to have a great day. But honestly if he were a little kid who wouldn't know any different, he wouldn't even get that his FP+ had not been used, or not used for him. I just don't get all the angst of a young child not using all their initial FP+ - especially when you can book FP+ all day long. You can ride all day SB and using extra FP+ ... it's not like they only get 3 rides the whole day. :confused3 I was just there Easter Week = super crowded. We booked FP+ for 3 with no issues DAY OF. We got EVERYTHING at Epcot, at DHS we had no issues, at MK we just rolled all day long even getting 7DMT on two days.

We ended up using close to 20 FP+ per day so ... if DS didn't actually use one or two of his initial FP+, no big deal because he still did just about everything there was to do. So if it's a huge deal for all the adults to ride all the rides and not sit out one for their kid ............ do it, you can then just keep rolling that 4th so your kid can still go on lots of other rides using the FP+ lines.

That could be me. :wave2: Yes we have been refused often because DS is an adult, tall enough. He is also clearly disabled and clearly can't be left alone outside a ride. We make it work and there is no reason others can't as well.

RS started before there was ever a FP system so families didn't have to wait in the STANDBY line twice. It is just a shame Disney has not kept up all their policies to match their newer systems in place. It does sound like there have been quite a few experiences in the last 6 mos or so of Disney requiring all to have FP+ to do RS at some popular attractions like FoP, 7DMT, BTM - with good reason. I won't be surprised if it includes Slinky Dog as well when it opens. Of course with Disney and so many cast members, procedures can change from shift to shift ... so the guests need to be prepared with Plan B.

How do we make it work? When some want to do SM, they do it and I do for my child .... I book my FP+ on a ride he likes and can go on. I don't mind doing that, because I want him to have a great day. But honestly if he were a little kid who wouldn't know any different, he wouldn't even get that his FP+ had not been used, or not used for him. I just don't get all the angst of a young child not using all their initial FP+ - especially when you can book FP+ all day long. You can ride all day SB and using extra FP+ ... it's not like they only get 3 rides the whole day. :confused3 I was just there Easter Week = super crowded. We booked FP+ for 3 with no issues DAY OF. We got EVERYTHING at Epcot, at DHS we had no issues, at MK we just rolled all day long even getting 7DMT on two days.

We ended up using close to 20 FP+ per day so ... if DS didn't actually use one or two of his initial FP+, no big deal because he still did just about everything there was to do. So if it's a huge deal for all the adults to ride all the rides and not sit out one for their kid ............ do it, you can then just keep rolling that 4th so your kid can still go on lots of other rides using the FP+ lines.
Well said! Very good explanation.

My issue with "everyone having a FP+" for a ride is this....on a hot day at splash mountain we waited over 30 minutes for my husband and son to ride in the FP+ line, ride got stuck, took nearly 1 hour. At this point my 18 month old and myself have been waiting around, walking around, having a mickey bar, etc. waiting for dad & brother assuming it would not take that long because it usually never does. There I sit with my FP+ that is going to expire before I can even scan it with the rider switch pass with my older one. Also, is my toddler supposed to have nothing to do for another nearly hour while he waits with dad just so I can scan my FP+ in the alloted time? Maybe I want to come back later in the day when the FP+ line appears to be moving more quickly or later after an afternoon nap. If they wanted everyone to have a FP+ for the ride why would my pass expire in the calendar month? Or, why should I not be able to book a ride for myself that is more appropriate for the toddler and then use the RS with my older one anyways? I will say, I 've been to Disney 4 times in the last year when my son was 10 months - 22 months without issue. Typically I book all 3 of us other riders together, but once in a while I do book something for my husband or myself that is more appropriate for the little one to ride while his older brother does other things. My kids are also 8 years apart, and I long for the days where we can all ride & have family photos together. That was a luxury when it was only the 3 of us before little one arrived. I feel like Disney gave you the "safe answer" and not what actually happens 99% of the time. This includes FOP. We were just there 3 weeks ago. I definitely could've used RS without scanning my band, but I scanned it to be able to make anther FP+ reservation after using my 3rd. Good luck on your trip.

My issue with "everyone having a FP+" for a ride is this....on a hot day at splash mountain we waited over 30 minutes for my husband and son to ride in the FP+ line, ride got stuck, took nearly 1 hour. At this point my 18 month old and myself have been waiting around, walking around, having a mickey bar, etc. waiting for dad & brother assuming it would not take that long because it usually never does. There I sit with my FP+ that is going to expire before I can even scan it with the rider switch pass with my older one. Also, is my toddler supposed to have nothing to do for another nearly hour while he waits with dad just so I can scan my FP+ in the alloted time? Maybe I want to come back later in the day when the FP+ line appears to be moving more quickly or later after an afternoon nap. If they wanted everyone to have a FP+ for the ride why would my pass expire in the calendar month? Or, why should I not be able to book a ride for myself that is more appropriate for the toddler and then use the RS with my older one anyways? I will say, I 've been to Disney 4 times in the last year when my son was 10 months - 22 months without issue. Typically I book all 3 of us other riders together, but once in a while I do book something for my husband or myself that is more appropriate for the little one to ride while his older brother does other things. My kids are also 8 years apart, and I long for the days where we can all ride & have family photos together. That was a luxury when it was only the 3 of us before little one arrived. I feel like Disney gave you the "safe answer" and not what actually happens 99% of the time. This includes FOP. We were just there 3 weeks ago. I definitely could've used RS without scanning my band, but I scanned it to be able to make anther FP+ reservation after using my 3rd. Good luck on your trip.

That is not how it would be expected to work. In order to even get your RS you would then scan your FP+ with the others. The others enter the line, whoever is staying behind do so with their paper RS. There would be no expiration that day. (Yes, a few have reported on top rides the RS expires midnight ... which is in line with other passes. Something else that might move in another direction.).

No one is suggesting that RS will go away and you risk your FP+ expiring .... the time to do that was when they started FP, and they needed to add interior waiting rooms for the swap like Universal has. Instead Disney went a very family friendly route that allows you to wait outside the line so you can change the child or do a bathroom visit, get a snack or feed a baby, go to a play area or do a low key ride, allow a baby to nap ... there is plenty that can be done in the time the others are gone. And if it was your 3rd FP+, the person waiting can book the 4th FP+. As an example by Splash Mountain there is a playground, you can go over to Tom Sawyer island and let them stretch their legs, walk over and watch County Bear Jamboree, take a ride on Aladdin's Carpets .... At Space Mountain we do the Wedway, Monsters Inc Show, Dance Party ... In each area there is plenty to do for those waiting and cell phones have been a game changer with staying in touch to not waste time.

That is not how it would be expected to work. In order to even get your RS you would then scan your FP+ with the others. The others enter the line, whoever is staying behind do so with their paper RS. There would be no expiration that day. (Yes, a few have reported on top rides the RS expires midnight ... which is in line with other passes. Something else that might move in another direction.).

No one is suggesting that RS will go away and you risk your FP+ expiring .... the time to do that was when they started FP, and they needed to add interior waiting rooms for the swap like Universal has. Instead Disney went a very family friendly route that allows you to wait outside the line so you can change the child or do a bathroom visit, get a snack or feed a baby, go to a play area or do a low key ride, allow a baby to nap ... there is plenty that can be done in the time the others are gone. And if it was your 3rd FP+, the person waiting can book the 4th FP+. As an example by Splash Mountain there is a playground, you can go over to Tom Sawyer island and let them stretch their legs, walk over and watch County Bear Jamboree, take a ride on Aladdin's Carpets .... At Space Mountain we do the Wedway, Monsters Inc Show, Dance Party ... In each area there is plenty to do for those waiting and cell phones have been a game changer with staying in touch to not waste time.

I hear what you are saying, but with the way the system is set up now I am simply stating that we had an issue where we did exactly what we were supposed to do as to "not gain an advantage over others" and could have lost the FP+. I am not talking about theorheticals because they don't have these rooms and likely won't because of the sheer volume of space that would be required on many rides. In regards to the cell comment we have kept them with the non-rider because of the possibility of them getting wet on the ride. Babies and toddlers are not always willing to work according to set Disney plans. We've learned that, and we plan very loosely. I just highly doubt very many people look to "gain an advantage" when it comes to FP+. A rider switch family bothers me a lot less than a huge group who doesn't have FP+ for everyone and all tries to get throught the FP lines, etc.

It seems like the experience varies quite a lot, but we were there just a month ago with two older kids and a small toddler, and at this is what we did, and it worked for us at Splash Mountain, BTMRR and 7DMT. For the sake of illustration, I will say my DH rode with the older kids and I rode with the baby, but we alternated so sometimes I rode with the bigger kids and he rode with the baby.

--We got a fastpass for DH and the two older kids to ride the rider-swap ride. I got a fastpass for the same time window to go on something tame nearby with the little one like it's a small world or little mermaid.
--We all went together to the rider-swap ride first. The two older kids and DH scanned their bands at the FP entrance, and requested a rider swap for me. The CM verified that I had a child with me that was too small to ride, and then gave DH a lanyard. DH took the lanyard to the end of the FP queue, where he exchanged it with the CM for a paper ticket just before boarding the ride. Meanwhile, I took the little on on our fastpass for the tame ride.
--We met up again after riding our separate rides, and I was able to use the paper rider swap ticket at that time.

I know this differs from the explanation the OP got from Disney, but FWIW nobody asked if I had a FP before they gave me a rider swap, and it all worked fine. I don't think it is gaming the system if they permit it, though I understand others feel differently. It is not an easy thing to wait out in the heat with a small child, and it allowed the little one to enjoy rides that the older kids had outgrown.

“I think your definition of "losing out" really is based on that fact that you won't sacrifice what you want to do for what the kids want to do. So, they are losing out because of what you choose.”

This was my thought too. Although each kid is getting to pick a premium ride they want to do so sounds like it kind of balances out.

Hey, DisneyOma before commenting you might want to ask yourself, "Am I making an assumption? Do I sound critical of a complete stranger on the Internet?' Because that is exactly what you just did. Not that it's any of your business, but 1 child wants to ride SDD and another child wants to ride FOP so we are doing exactly what BOTH children want to do. Mind your own business.

You are making me laugh, as you are doing the same thing, LOL! But really, the QP was complaining that they can't do everything they want. Well, no one gets all the FP they want at WDW, and all guests have to make choices. They get to make the choices for their FP+. No one is keeping them out of the stand-by queues. Rider Swap is not an inalienable right, but sometimes people think that way. I think it's great WDW offers it at all. They don't have to, and they can set the rules for it too.

What would be the point of the RS if you both need/have FP+ anyway? Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but say you both have FP+, and because of that, you're entitled to RS. So you could both ride with your FP+, then one of you could ride again with RS, resulting in 3 rides instead of the 2 you would get if they just let you have a RS with one adult having a FP+.

What would be the point of the RS if you both need/have FP+ anyway? Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but say you both have FP+, and because of that, you're entitled to RS. So you could both ride with your FP+, then one of you could ride again with RS, resulting in 3 rides instead of the 2 you would get if they just let you have a RS with one adult having a FP+.
Let's say your FP window is 11-12. You get to your ride at 11:40 and get RS. The other adult takes junior on another ride. You meet up afterwards. Now the second adult is outside the FP window.

That's why you get RS.

You are making me laugh, as you are doing the same thing, LOL! But really, the QP was complaining that they can't do everything they want. Well, no one gets all the FP they want at WDW, and all guests have to make choices. They get to make the choices for their FP+. No one is keeping them out of the stand-by queues. Rider Swap is not an inalienable right, but sometimes people think that way. I think it's great WDW offers it at all. They don't have to, and they can set the rules for it too.

You're absolutely correct that Disney does not have to offer rider swap and they can dictate the rules for it. The problem with it now is that most of the time, for years now, ever since FP+ was implemented, the second group was not required to have a FP. There have only been a few cases recently where a CM has required FP for the second group, and only on certain rides. It definitely has not made it seem like it is an actual policy, but rather a few random uninformed CMs. The email from Disney doesn't necessarily mean anything as they often give out untrue info. The problem is that, in practice at least, one thing has been allowed for years. There has not been any official change notifying guests that they are doing something different now. The only difference is a few rare reports and a questionable email that makes people question what the policy is and causes difficulty for people to know how to plan.

You've made it clear on these boards that you expect Disney's policy to change in regards to rider swap and that you think all riders should have a FP. That's fine. That's your opinion. But your opinion on how things should work doesn't mean that's how it will/does work, or what the policy is.

Right now, I think the issue is the lack of consistency with how rider swap is handled. However Disney chooses to deal with rider swap is their business, but they should implement the policy consistently. Just because a couple of random CMs have denied RS does not mean the policy has changed, especially considering the vast majority of people have w not had a single problem receiving RS without a FP.

If you have a family with 2 parents and 2 kids (for example)...1 kid is tall enough and the other isn’t. It allows both parents to ride with “tall enough” kid so neither has to ride alone.

Looks like maybe Disney is trying to get control of Rider Swap,
how this is implemented,
control of abuse
and creating a system that would be standardized ....

It is being "reported" as predicted before, but not confirmed, that the Rider Swap system could soon change going full digital to cut down on abuse and it will make lots of changes. Doctor Disney is reporting that once the system goes digital the paper passes will all be void and not accepted. Some changes are ... to get a digital pass the entire party must be present at the ride and have their bands or tickets scanned, switches will have one hour windows like a FP+ and only one RS pass can be held at one time (like the DAS) so pass must be used, cancelled or expired before another can be obtained. This is expected to be implemented around June 19th ....

.... But as with all things Disney until it is up and operating ..... anything goes ... but for those that need to use it keep an eye out for any changes.

Looks like maybe Disney is trying to get control of Rider Swap,
how this is implemented,
control of abuse
and creating a system that would be standardized ....

It is being "reported" as predicted before, but not confirmed, that the Rider Swap system could soon change going full digital to cut down on abuse and it will make lots of changes. Doctor Disney is reporting that once the system goes digital the paper passes will all be void and not accepted. Some changes are ... to get a digital pass the entire party must be present at the ride and have their bands or tickets scanned, switches will have one hour windows like a FP+ and only one RS pass can be held at one time (like the DAS) so pass must be used, cancelled or expired before another can be obtained. This is expected to be implemented around June 19th ....

.... But as with all things Disney until it is up and operating ..... anything goes ... but for those that need to use it keep an eye out for any changes.

And it seems it isn't going to be a moment too soon. Too bad so many people take advantage of things that Disney has to change policy.

And it seems it isn't going to be a moment too soon. Too bad so many people take advantage of things that Disney has to change policy.

Yeah, sadly I think the program has gotten out of control - which is Disney's fault for not adjusting it after they added FastPass - and likely summer time and expectation of it being a HUGE problem in Toy Story Land is why the timing (if it happens).

Aside from those who work it in the park, there were way too many piles of them being handed off to friends and the month long expiration meant they were constantly for sale on ebay. And you have to wonder how the Rental Homes in the area that include the paper passes get them ...

The change in DAS and putting it on the MDE was a good move; this will be a good move too if they implement it.

Yeah, sadly I think the program has gotten out of control - which is Disney's fault for not adjusting it after they added FastPass - and likely summer time and expectation of it being a HUGE problem in Toy Story Land is why the timing (if it happens).

Aside from those who work it in the park, there were way too many piles of them being handed off to friends and the month long expiration meant they were constantly for sale on ebay. And you have to wonder how the Rental Homes in the area that include the paper passes get them ...

The change in DAS and putting it on the MDE was a good move; this will be a good move too if they implement it.

I like the idea of digital and the 1 hour window really doesn't bother me since about 90% of the time we did it back to back but my concern seems that its unknown if on the riderswap will be defined names. So like now we use it so each parent can ride with our daughter while the other watches the smaller ones. While sure its a bonus the kid rides twice but its part of the experience for each parent to be able to ride with their kid and not be stuck by themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter