Rides to avoid

planningjollyholiday

DIS Veteran
I have two people in my party that may be limited on the rides they can do, I have never been to Universal so not sure what to expect for each ride.
1. my 71 year old mother has some health issues and she cannot do rides with major drops such as splash or tower of terror. She is fine however on small drops on thrill rides such as big thunder mountain or flight of passage . Which rides should she avoid. 2. My husband gets motion sickness on rides like star tours, teacups, Aerosmith's etc but can handle other screened rides like midway mania and smaller coasters with no loops or backwards riding like big thunder. Which rides should he avoid?
Thanks

Here is a link to Universal's Riders Guide - https://www.universalorlando.com/webdata/k2/en/us/files/Documents/universal-orlando-riders-guide.pdf

Starting on page 15, each ride is described in detail. For example, on page 30...

Storm Force Accelatron®
ATTRACTION DESCRIPTION
This attraction seats riders in round pods and subjects you to sudden acceleration, turning, and spinning.

- probably not a great one for your husband

Doctor Doom’s Fearfall®
ATTRACTION DESCRIPTION
This ride is a high-speed, free-fall experience that includes sudden and intense acceleration, climbing and dropping.

- probably not great for your mom

Other than that, always important to read the posted signs at each ride and listen and pay attention to the pre-ride videos and instructions from team members.

if screened simulators are an issue (aka star tours) that may mean that Simpsons, Spider Man, Transformers, MAYBE Despicable Me and probably Forbidden Journey would put your husband out of commission.
That's the criticism of Universal Studios that they have too many screens.

List of other ride attractions that utilize screens in someway shape or form:
-Jimmy Fallon
-Fast and Furious
-Gringotts
-King Kong

In terms of drops, i would check out Mummy and Gringotts (a video of it on youtube maybe) and judge for yourself. I think Mummy is a fun, mild ride but your mom may not find it enjoyable. Gringotts has a few drops/spins as it is another indoor coaster.
The 'drop' in flight of passage could be similar to the sensation that transformers and spider man make you feel at times.

Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit are coasters that you will probably avoid
Hulk has a little bit of a launch and is a rather smooth but fast ride
Rip Ride Rockit you go STRAIGHT UP on the incline which just feels ridiculous but its a much more physically intense ride....my head bangs off of the seat so much i really don't enjoy it

When you walk into the parks, you will SEE Hulk, Dr. Doom and Rip Ride Rockit and realize they are probably not for your mom. For her, I would also skip Mummy. YouTube doesn't really do it justice as it's a dark roller coaster, more intense than Space Mtn. It has a brief quick backwards and downwards section, a fairly intense launch where you catch "air", and a couple of steep downward portions. Also on the Mummy, there are several abrupt halts, which can mess your neck up if you're not prepared and keep your head against the headrest. If she doesn't do Splash Mtn. she should probably avoid Dudley Do Right Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure, as they are boat flume rides with drops at the end. You can see both boats coming down the drops.

Both your mom and your hubby should probably start with Kong at IOA. You sit in a bus like tram vehicle, 6 across in a row. No lap bars. The ride is mildly bumpy and the action occurs on either side of the vehicle on screens. Fast & Furious is a similar style ride to Kong, but way more boring a story. If they do ok with Kong, the next ride to try might be Gringotts. It's a dark ride with a few mild ups and downs and the action occurs on screen. The carts do spin a tiny bit, but not around and around like the teacups or anything. There is one simulated "drop" on screen as well, but if you did ok on Kong, it shouldn't bother them.

Hippogriff is an outdoor smaller coaster with one small drop and some fast curves that will squish you against the person in the seat with you. If you're alone in the seat, you'll be moving around, as it's only a lap bar. It's a fun, quick ride and you can watch it to see if you're up for it.

Spider Man, Transformers, Simpsons ride, and Forbidden Journey can all cause queasiness. I've seen a few people complain about the spinning on Cat in the Hat as well. Storm Force Acceletron is basically the Teacups, so I'd avoid that ride too. Men in Black does a lot of spinning around too to make it tougher to shoot the targets. Jimmy Fallon is like Star Tours, except with more people. You sit in a theater with a seat belt on and watch the screen which simulates driving through NYC at high rates of speed as well as your car flying high up and then diving way down.

The screen rides require 3-D glasses for the effects. If a ride gets too intense, taking them off will probably help a bit.

They should do fine on ET and the Seuss Trolley Ride.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure many people will think I overstated the drops, etc., but I'm basing this on how it seemed to me the first time I rode these rides. Many of them are my faves like the Mummy, but if you've never ridden them and already have concerns I am trying to give as many details as possible. Hope this is helpful.

I get motion sickness and the only one that really made me sick was Jimmy Fallon and I knew it was going to happen from the first moment.

But MIB is a lot of spinning. I am always afraid it is going to cause my vertigo to go haywire but it hasn’t yet. It’s not constant spinning like tea cups though. Just not always something you can know is coming.

Spider-Man and Kong, I was fine. But did look down a couple of times just to sort of get my bearings on the movement. Loved both of these. Forbidden Journey made me slightly queasy but not bad.

I don’t do roller coasters but dh does. He will not ride RRR again. He said he honestly felt like he was going to have a heart attack before the top of the incline. He wasn’t scared it’s just the pressure from going straight up, maybe?

With the general description this is what I recommend.

Grandma to avoid - Doctor Doom's, Hulk, Dudley Do Rights, Pop Eye's (to be safe), RRR.

Grandma to consider to avoid - Gringott's at beginning has a part where it tilts downward making the riders believe they're going to have a dramatic drop, but does not actually happen, will disappear into darkness, into a roller coaster part in which there is little dips and move back and forth for a few seconds before stopping. Something to think about as as I do not know if fear / anxiety of the potential for drops might compromise her health. As while she / you might be acceptable with my description seeing it herself might make her feel differently in the moment, which is why I mention it.

Husband can go on - All Seuss rides, All Toon Lagoon rides (if he can handle Splash, if not need to avoid Dudley Do Right), Flight of the Hippogriff, Minions and Shrek (can sit in stationary row for both), all KidZone rides, Gringott's, Hogwarts Express, Horror Make Up Show (and any other shows).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter