Rides with water elements and other hearing aid challenges

My son wears bilateral BAHAs (bone-anchored hearing aids) and he has never ever had an issue in the last dozen or more trips with any shows that "spritz" water, affecting his hearing aids. He takes them off for RNR and that's it. When he was younger, (he's 22 now), I was always worried because of the replacement cost etc., but the worst worry was him being without them if something happened. As long as you have the safety clips, a plan for which rides you're 'comfortable' with him wearing them and which you aren't, you should be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Fellow hearing aid mom here. My son is 6 1/2. We're coming up on 2 years since diagnosis. He's bilaterally aided. He's been to Disney once since he got his aids. He did great. We didn't remove them for any fast rides. I think I removed them when he went on splash mountain.

I'd keep a ziploc in your backpack for times like that. They are much more splash resistant. But why take a chance. Also, it does often pop up rain out of nowhere in Florida. We definitely remove for rain.

Do you have an electric dry box? I bring it with us even when we travel. They work great, and gets the aids nice and dry overnight. It is very humid in Florida!

I don't know how the shows work with any hearing devices. I feel like there is something you can use, but being fairly new to this I really don't know.

Fellow hearing aid mom here. My son is 6 1/2. We're coming up on 2 years since diagnosis. He's bilaterally aided. He's been to Disney once since he got his aids. He did great. We didn't remove them for any fast rides. I think I removed them when he went on splash mountain.

I'd keep a ziploc in your backpack for times like that. They are much more splash resistant. But why take a chance. Also, it does often pop up rain out of nowhere in Florida. We definitely remove for rain.

Do you have an electric dry box? I bring it with us even when we travel. They work great, and gets the aids nice and dry overnight. It is very humid in Florida!

I don't know how the shows work with any hearing devices. I feel like there is something you can use, but being fairly new to this I really don't know.
I was your son's age when I got my hearing aid so I never thought about what my mom did in these situations when we went to the amusement parks. I don't remember taking them off on the rides then, but mine flew off my ears when I was in a car accident (I have bi-cross aids now). As a precaution to myself, it's a reminder that the car accident felt like the same impact that the roller coasters do-to some degree. I was able to recover the aids in the car but wouldn't on the roller coaster.

I do not have a dry-box but since you mentioned it, I am going to buy one for our Disney trips. Mine sitting out overnight seems to work, I'm sure I'm not getting them 100% dry. I'm so glad you mentioned this! Thanks!

As far as the shows, I know technology is advancing rapidly on newer hearing aids. Mine has a setting where it picks up the sound and goes directly into the ear. But not all theaters have this system in place and I tried this on our trip last summer and didn't seem to work. I've been through so many of these attractions where I just don't hear words, just muffling over the sound system. It's something that I've accepted because I don't have a choice and If it's really important to me, my family will explain to me. I don't let this get me down or define me or most importantly, put a damper on vacation. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience! We do have an electric dryer but usually we just bring the small jar dryer on vacation but since you mentioned it I am definitely going to bring the electric dryer. Maybe I’ll bring the small jar in our backpack in case of emergency.

Hello,

My son has hearing loss and uses a hearing aid. It is our first trip since he’s gotten a hearing aid. It’s not waterproof. I expect to take it off for rides like splash mountain but I know that sometimes 3D movies and other rides might have unexpected water elements. Does anyone know what rides might have unexpected water elements?

Someone from a medical Facebook group related to his condition recommended going to guest services and he could get priority seating at shows? Would Disney guest services help with this? Although he has a hearing aid the aid doesn’t make him hear like someone with two ears and if I have to remove it for certain shows I am worried about him hearing things and just getting overwhelmed with all the sounds overall.
Does your child u,es any sign language. If so get a schedule of interpreted shows. If not I would suggest not sitting in the first rows and go for a bit higher. If he reads ask for ask for reflective captioning.
the best thing I have found for keeping aids dry is a case or small Tupperware container with a silica bag in it.
i use aids but also speech read and use ASL.

As a pediatric audiologist in Florida, I will say the humidity in Florida is harder on the hearing aids then any of the slight sprays or mist from the shows or rides. Make sure you bring a dry aid kit to put the aids in at night. I highly recommend keeping the hearing aids on for all shows. They will enjoy everything more if they can hear. I actually wouldn't think that any of the "fast" rides at Disney would be a problem especially if they are clipped but would understand if it was taken off for those. I would also highly recommend if you have a connect clip/partner mic/ FM as the noise level is high throughout the parks and that way they can hear you better, especially if they are in a stroller a lot. Disney does offer some accommodations so its worth checking out (especially if they offer preferential seating for any of the shows or closed captioning).

As a pediatric audiologist in Florida, I will say the humidity in Florida is harder on the hearing aids then any of the slight sprays or mist from the shows or rides. Make sure you bring a dry aid kit to put the aids in at night. I highly recommend keeping the hearing aids on for all shows. They will enjoy everything more if they can hear. I actually wouldn't think that any of the "fast" rides at Disney would be a problem especially if they are clipped but would understand if it was taken off for those. I would also highly recommend if you have a connect clip/partner mic/ FM as the noise level is high throughout the parks and that way they can hear you better, especially if they are in a stroller a lot. Disney does offer some accommodations so its worth checking out (especially if they offer preferential seating for any of the shows or closed captioning).

Thanks! Sadly we don’t have a mic system and they’re quite expensive as you know but I’ll try to keep his hearing in mind when we talk to him. We will bring a stroller but I don’t think he’ll be in it that much since he’s 4 3/4. After reading everyone’s experiences we’ll definitely bring the electronic dry box and use it every night.

Hi y’all!
I been wearing a phonak hearing aid since I was 4 and never had a problem with my hearing aid at all with going to the parks. Water rides like splash and Cali river ride I make sure to take my hearing before even going on the ride and putting it in a ziploc baggy that my dad carries.
Due to having a physical disability as well I stopped riding rides like splash and Cali river rapids to prevent from getting blisters on my right foot.
I also pack extra hearing aid batteries for me as well but I also make sure I change the battery out before leaving, it last longer no matter the circumstances.

Due to the circumstances about covivid-19 I chose to chose a hearing aid made from USA rather then China because that’s where most of the phonak hearing aids are made. Has anyone gotten the resound Linx? I about to get it on April 14th? any thing I should know beforehand?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!