Riding Flight of Passage while pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterstick

Earning My Ears
i just found out I’m pregnant- which means I’ll be just at the end of my first trimester when we take our Christmas trip to WDW! I know I’ll have to avoid quite a few rides, but is Flight of Passage one of them?

I rode it this summer (amazing! my favorite ride now!) and I don’t remember any jerkiness. I won’t be very far along, so I don’t think fitting into the seat will be a problem. Are there a lot of rough ups and downs on the ride? I don’t remember any...

Tell me DISBOARD- will I be wasting a fastpass on this?? (We can start making fastpass reservations this weekend!)

Disney says expectant mothers shouldn't ride. But I would agree with you that I don't think it was jerky at all. Maybe check with your doctor and fully explain the ride?

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

I found that my doctor was much less concerned about a number of things than the general public &/or warnings. In fact, a lot of the pregnancy warnings have more to do with the fact that it's complicated to treat a pregnant mother for her symptoms if she gets injured. (You can't take just any pain meds, want to avoid surgery, etc.) It's not always about direct harm to the fetus. That said, don't rely on people here for your answer. You need to ask your doctor. Explain the ride. Maybe bring in a picture?

If you schedule a FOP and later find out that you can't ride it, then you can swap it for something else.

Hi there

First, CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming addition to ur family, such a blessing!

Secondly, I’am a Nurse Practitioner who specializes in high risk obstetrics and gynecology (please know this is the 1st time in over 10 years I’ve thrown out the professional card). My advice to u would NOT to ride. The most critical period of development in pregnancy is the 1st 13 weeks, 1st trimester. U may feel great and pregnancy moving along flawlessly; however, there is no way to determine what is developing inside the uterus exactly at the time u ride the ride. I would not take the risk. I understand u feeling as though the ride is smooth but, what we cannot determine is whether or not it is smooth for ur little miracle who is growing and developing at a rate difficult to imagine. Every little cell is critical is development. Women do not volunteer to ride rides during pregnancy for a reason. We, as medically professionals, advise against bc we just do not know; therefore, ALWAYS weigh on the side of precaution during pregnancy.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

Congrats!! So exciting. Definitely talk to your doc but I would advise against it. I tend to stick with the ride restrictions as per WDW- also since it's a motion simulated ride, it has given a lot of non pregnant people motion sickness which is no different than morning sickness IMO and that is the last thing I'd want to deal with at WDW.

No Do not ride it. it will be a good reason to go back to Disney after little one is born .

You should talk to your doctor about it. But personally, now that I have ridden it and know what it's like, I personally would ride it pregnant.

Congratulations!

I can't answer you directly, but I'll take a slightly different tack.

I'm not quite sure how to express this effectively, but here's my thought: FoP is largely a motion simulator-type ride. IMO, Morning sickness + motion simulation is likely to be a bad combination.

After riding it, I would ride it if I were pregnant. Now if you have morning sickness - that might be an issue.....

Thanks all for your replies! I haven’t had morning sickness at all. Not tired either.
I’ll talk to my doctor about it at my first checkup next month :)

I wouldn't ride anything with a pregnancy warning on it. I've been to Disney while pregnant (15 weeks) and skipped all of those rides.

In addition, while I haven't actually ridden FOP yet, I've seen You Tube videos and read descriptions. I can't imagine that this particular ride would mix well with nausea. I wouldn't have gotten on it during my pregnancy trip (if it existed then) for that reason alone. Heck, I almost lost my breakfast on the Winnie the Pooh ride!

Thanks all for your replies! I haven’t had morning sickness at all. Not tired either.
I’ll talk to my doctor about it at my first checkup next month :)

You say you "just found out," so I'm guessing you aren't very far along? Pregnancy symptoms don't always show up immediately. I thought I was feeling great until sometime between weeks 6-7. Then it was constant nausea until week 16. I'm one of the lucky ones who never actually threw up, although I was very close a few times.

You say you "just found out," so I'm guessing you aren't very far along? Pregnancy symptoms don't always show up immediately. I thought I was feeling great until sometime between weeks 6-7. Then it was constant nausea until week 16. I'm one of the lucky ones who never actually threw up, although I was very close a few times.

Uh oh. Yeah, I’m at 4 weeks. I thought that I might be in the clear about that. My half-sister had hyperemesis gravidarium so badly right from the get go she had to have a pump of anti-nausea medicine dispensed 24-7. I know it can get bad. Not a thing so far, though.

The reason for the pregnancy warnings on many rides which seem smooth (Soarin recommends not riding while pregnant) isn’t for the normal operation of the ride, it’s in case of an emergency stop the ride the ride moves a lot more jerkily than it normally does

ETA while I’m pretty sure Soarin did at one time carry a warning it does not at this time have one. My point was to illustrate that the normal operation of most rides wouldn’t be a problem the problem can occur if there is an emergency stop on the ride which no one can predict

Last edited:
I haven’t had morning sickness at all. Not tired either.
Now you just jinks-ed yourself - you know that right? The tiredness is much worse at the end. With my twins i would wake up just as tired as when i went to bed.

Odds of something happening are low, but i don't know if i would risk anything by riding. If something were to happen you would probably feel horrible thinking that it could have been prevented. I would play it safe, but to be certain just check with your doctor -- they may have a different view. Like previous poster mentioned it is recommending not to ride (to cover Disney's behind on more intense ridees) and in case of some sort of freak accident with the ride.

The reason for the pregnancy warnings on many rides which seem smooth (Soarin recommends not riding while pregnant) isn’t for the normal operation of the ride, it’s in case of an emergency stop the ride the ride moves a lot more jerkily than it normally does

Soarin actually does not carry the pregnancy warning. It was the only E-ticket ride I rode while pregnant.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/#/expectant-mothers/

The only time Soarin has forward motion is during the ascent. If the ride stopped in the middle for whatever reason, you’d just be left hanging there.

In addition, the restraint on Soarin is a belt that should be worn across the hips (similar to the lap belt portion of a seat belt in a car). It should not be putting any pressure on the stomach area.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, because I know perfectly well that the first time I was pregnant, I did everything. I exercised. I kept up my usual routine. I even helped push a car out of snowy ditch! (The guys didn't realize I was pregnant until afterward and then they freaked out, lol.)

I deliberately chose not to take any real precautions, on the theory that a strong healthy mother is a good thing. And if the baby doesn't make it, so be it. Happily, she did.

The second time I was pregnant, I carried my 1 year old everywhere... until we had a somewhat messy scare (that may or may not have been related - the doctor couldn't say). Then I was on a lifting restriction and couldn't pick her up at all. It was pretty hard, but at least I wasn't stuck in bed. So yes, I did follow my doctor and midwives' instructions. However, I also still felt strongly that what would be, would be. I wasn't afraid of miscarrying. This second baby, I'm happy to say, made it as well.

So this isn't a "I learned my lesson" story, because I don't think I would have acted any different in any subsequent pregnancy. I'd still tote the smaller kids about, and be as active as usual, unless or until something happened to make me stop. And I know I'd be riding almost everything (except probably Dinosaur, because the bouncing in that one would almost certainly have me wetting my pants - my poor beleaguered bladder could only take so much with a baby sitting on it!).

But that is me. Other people feel very differently about their pregnancies and take every possible precaution, and that's a wonderful thing, for them.

If all goes well, you're going to be a mother soon. Talk to your health care provider, read the warnings on the rides, and then make up your own mind. You'll soon have to be making a lot of big decisions both for yourself and your baby, so you might as well start now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter