Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you testing from home, do you have linked tickets? We won't be able to buy our tickets until we arrive (buying military salute tickets).

On an iPhone you can search for the app in the App Store like you’re going to get it for the first time. If the button that normally says “buy” says “open”, you’re good. If it says “update”, click it to update.
Thank you!! I did, indeed, need an update, which might have accounted for my odd experience with the join boarding group button this morning.

I wonder how many of my other apps need secret updates! 😬

How are people testing from home? Do you have an annual pass or something?

And don't you have to be inside the park to book a boarding group?

For those of you testing from home, do you have linked tickets? We won't be able to buy our tickets until we arrive (buying military salute tickets).
I don’t. I’m just trying different ways of getting to the red button, so that I know exactly what works best for my phone, because I have a relatively old phone & AT&T. I do keep in mind, however, that it may make quite the difference if I’m doing this from a solid WiFi connection at my home versus when sharing the signal with 10,000 of my new best friends in the park. Still, this way I hopefully at least avoid my freezing at the time I’m doing it for real and wondering which button to press. There’s of course the possibility that I’ll do it the day of with actual tickets & get an error message after selecting the people who want to ride. I learned, through years of experience planning DLand visits for my family that even the best of planning merely increases the chances for our getting what we want to get done and that there is, in anything and everything in the parks, no guarantee that things will work out just the way I want them to. I feel sorry for the crying kids some posters mention, but it seems to me that blaming the current (lesser of many other possible evils) BG systems makes just as much sense as blaming the wind when the fireworks that I wanted to see so badly on the last day of my visit are canceled. It’s sad, especially for little ones, but it’s a life lesson, too. I hope that doesn’t sound callous, but teaching my kids to cope with disappointment (in other ways than shouting at cast members) seems so important to me and is sure to help them later in life. That said, I’m of course keeping all my fingers crossed for getting to ride when we go later this year.

Last edited:

You can go through the process of joining a group up to actually being placed in one.

I suspect that everyone playing from home has some sort of AP. I know that I do.

You do need to be in the park to get a BG, but you can go through the process up until the point a BG is assigned. At that point you get a message about not everyone in your group being in the park. So, you can't proceed to actually get a BG.

I’m utterly baffled by the huge difference between backup groups’ lasting more than 40 mins Wednesday & today but being gone before minute 2 yesterday. Even if they keep playing around with the controls to find out what works best, that seems like a huge difference! Theories, oh wise ones?

How does the process worth with attmepting to have multiple people in your group book BGs. If multiple get BGs do you keep them? Or once one person has a BG do the other people get kicked out? Or does it just automatically keep the lowest BG number?

According to the version history, the iOS app was updated 3 days ago with unspecified bug fixes and performance updates. It may or may not be related to ROTR, but it seems reasonable they'd have some ROTR bugs ironed out now.

From home today the button greyed at 8:01 but I swear I was able to get through without the "backup boarding group" alert two more times before I started pulling backups. That doesn't seem to square with everyone else's experiences (backup groups starting at 9:01) so maybe I imagined it or experienced some unrelated glitch that kept the message from appearing those first two times.

But I'm happy to see that backup groups are lasting a little longer. I've been "managing expectations" with my kids for our upcoming trip, but I'm starting to feel a little bit of optimism that we'll at least get a backup. Very interested to see how next week goes.

I’m utterly baffled by the huge difference between backup groups’ lasting more than 40 mins Wednesday & today but being gone before minute 2 yesterday. Even if they keep playing around with the controls to find out what works best, that seems like a huge difference! Theories, oh wise ones?
EMH seems to make BGs go faster as more people are up early and already in the park.

How does the process worth with attmepting to have multiple people in your group book BGs. If multiple get BGs do you keep them? Or once one person has a BG do the other people get kicked out? Or does it just automatically keep the lowest BG number?
Once one person gets a BG for the group the rest get something to the effect of "you already have a BG"

Thank you!! I did, indeed, need an update, which might have accounted for my odd experience with the join boarding group button this morning.

I wonder how many of my other apps need secret updates! 😬
If you go into the App Store and click the number on the top, right, there will be an “update all” option on the left.
Magic Morning. Makes total sense to me; the number of people in the park at rope drop on a MM is so much higher.

Reactions: EmJ
Has there been much discussion about how to prioritize FastPass and ROTR Boarding Groups? I saw a snippet of a post where they said to immediately book a FP on maxpass when you scan in and then try for ROTR at park open, but I haven't seen much more than that. Thoughts? Speculations? We have 2 days in the parks and I want to be sure I'm headed with a plan! THANKS!

The two don't really have anything to do with one another. The suggestion to book a fastpass immediately is twofold: first, you start the clocking ticking on when you can pull your next FP; and second, you can confirm that everyone is correctly scanned into the park and part of your "party" for the boarding group process to go quicker.

Got through security by Earl of Sandwich in 5 minutes at 7:30, got in line to Disneyland at 7:40, line moved fast, slowly walked all the way to teacups by 7:50, pressed "find out more" in app when phone said 8am, got boarding group 37. Everyone around me got different boarding groups, the only people I talked to who didn't get a Boarding Group were people who were late or had no smartphone (wow.) Ride still not open. Weather is great, people are in a good mood, it looks to be a nice day. Already rode Space Mtn, Pirates and Matterhorn by 9:30am.

I am coming again with family in a few weeks and wanted to test-run this whole weird boarding group thing to ensure we have a good visit.

Single rider, samsung galaxy 9+.

We were on Verizon with iPhone 8 and XR over by the firehouse and I got Boarding group 36 on my 8. It was such a rush. However, 1.5 hours later they have still haven’t started boarding... 😬 (whoops, while I was typing that, they started with group 11 - Yay!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!