Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that there are a limited number of spots for standby, I predict that, as a result, people would come extremely early and camp out to snag one of those desired spots in the standby line. I would also expect a dangerous high speed stampede (regardless of how many cast members would caution against running)—unless they do the slow walking behind the rope thing they did for the Cars Land opening to minimize the initial RSR craziness.

From what I have seen on the Disneyworld site describing the policy & procedure experiments & tweaks they did there, they don’t appear to want people camping out at 4am, which is what I’d expect to happen. People who’d come after park opening would end up the same problems they have now, except that instead of no boarding groups left there’d be a maxed out, closed for further people standby lane with people standing there for hours (instead of, as they can do with the current system, go on other rides while waiting for their turn). Why on earth would anybody want that (besides maybe the small number of DAS people who would get to bypass the line).

I like the current boarding group system and hope that they will still use it when we visit in August. It doesn’t give me a guarantee (nothing is ever guaranteed at Disneyland, and rolling with the punches is part of the experience), but it would give me a decent chance (and I am saying that as the proud owner of an iPhone 5s with AT&T service—not exactly the racing horse of phones...).

I would hate for it to become a lottery, because I tend to unfortunately do notoriously bad on those. 😟 According to the OC Register, Disneyland has an average of 50,000 visitors per day. If I calculate the current 70 guaranteed boarding groups times (generously guesstimated) 100 persons per group, I end up with roughly 7000 ride slots (more if the ride doesn’t break down, as it currently tends to do every once in a while). That would, in a pure lottery, leave me with only a 14% chance at winning one of those spots, which strikes me as rather crummy odds. Even if there would be more than one lottery with chunks being raffled out & taking part in the earliest one and then again in all later ones would improve those odds (while other people doing the same and more people being in the park in the second half of the day would decrease them). Since the 50,000 is an a average & I’d be there in summer when kids are on break, my odds are likely to be lower than those of somebody who’s there at an off-season weekday.

The worst thing would of course be an advance lottery, similar to what they did for Galaxy’s Edge opening reservations, with a virtually unlimited number of people anywhere (including those not even in the park or not even planning to be in the park but simply entering for kicks) competing for the same limited number of spots.

Yeah, math!
I was replying to a poster that suggested having boarding groups, backup boarding groups and standby all at the same time. Why would they need backup boarding groups if there was standby?

I also think PP was suggesting an idea for the future, after all the madness has died down. Obviously standby won’t work now.

Since DLR is considered such a locals’ park, I wonder how long locals are going to tolerate not riding this ride if you aren’t there at RD? I envisioned locals dropping by after work for a few hours, and that would definitely not let them ride ROTR under the current system. I wonder if they will eventually use BGs like a sort of rolling time FP, and also allow a SB line for those who didn’t get a BG at RD or those that show up after RD and want to ride it. This would possibly keep people from lining up at the gates at 3am to try to be at the front of a SB line since all early birds would be able to (hopefully when things die down) get a BG without arriving super early. Then those that arrive later could do SB. But BG line would get priority over SB line like the currently do with FP and SB lines. Just a thought...
Since DLR is considered such a locals’ park, I wonder how long locals are going to tolerate not riding this ride if you aren’t there at RD? I envisioned locals dropping by after work for a few hours, and that would definitely not let them ride ROTR under the current system. I wonder if they will eventually use BGs like a sort of rolling time FP, and also allow a SB line for those who didn’t get a BG at RD or those that show up after RD and want to ride it. This would possibly keep people from lining up at the gates at 3am to try to be at the front of a SB line since all early birds would be able to (hopefully when things die down) get a BG without arriving super early. Then those that arrive later could do SB. But BG line would get priority over SB line like the currently do with FP and SB lines. Just a thought...
Isn’t this basically giving it fastpasses? You’d still need to be there at park opening because all of the fastpasses would be gone in the same amount of time as boarding groups, right? That’s why people would come early to line up for RSR FP line I think.

WDW just announced that Smuggler's Run will now have FastPass+ starting Feb 19th with ROTR possibly also getting FP+ status as well...so maybe DL will put SR & ROTR on FP+ as well in the near future....

If locals overwhelmingly don't like the BG system or needing to be there at opening, won't the problem correct itself? The BG would last longer if people didn't show.

What they may do in the future is one thing, but currently demand for RotR is much higher than supply, so no matter what suggestions are given the issue remains that there aren't enough spaces for everybody who wants to ride. No matter what Disney does at the moment, there's no way a local would be able to pop in for a few hours after work and ride unless that person was entering the park holding a FP, which is a whole other can of worms.

But it opens a 900A! ;)

--so does anyone actually have a Backup BG today? I'm curious.

Ride is humming along with 221 group spread -- best I've seen --- calling BG60!

Disney’s website for the ride discusses the virtual queue. So anyone claiming Disney is keeping it a secret until guests enter the park are wrong.

No one says they are keeping it a secret. But any kind of disclaimer to check online for details about accessing the ride are absent from all print, radio, and tv ads. They frequently include disclaimers on ads for things like the special So Cal ticket promos and such. This ride deserves the same. It is misleading to simply say "now open" with the name and photo of the ride in an ad with no fine print, or no "super fast talking fine print guy" at the tail end of a radio ad.

That said, the advertisements have fallen off drastically in the last few days. I haven't seen or heard one all week. Not sure what to make of that.

ETA: When Galaxy's Edge was about to open with the reservation system, and they ran ads, they DID indicate that you needed a reservation to enter the land in the first few weeks. The television AND radio ads were quite clear about that.

Last edited:
No one says they are keeping it a secret. But any kind of disclaimer to check online for details about accessing the ride are absent from all print, radio, and tv ads. They frequently include disclaimers on ads for things like the special So Cal ticket promos and such. This ride deserves the same. It is misleading to simply say "now open" with the name and photo of the ride in an ad with no fine print, or no "super fast talking fine print guy" at the tail end of a radio ad.

That said, the advertisements have fallen off drastically in the last few days. I haven't seen or heard one all week. Not sure what to make of that.

Not having anything stated on the TV and Radio commercials is a big mistake by Disney.

Also got to the parking structure yesterday, no information on BGs were given in the payment area.

Got on the tram and the guy on the mic was a wannabe Jungle Cruise Skipper, stated that there is something he should be reading about Rise of Resistance but joked that he wasn't going to do that and didn't. I couldn't believe it and there were a good 10 minutes before park opening and what I assume would have been BG information, was not given.

I was the only guest on that tram quickly walking to the entrance.

You could tell people entering the park were taken back by the amount of people on their phones and then cheers.
They had no idea as the ticket takers don't tell you anything either.

ME

Not having anything stated on the TV and Radio commercials is a big mistake by Disney.

Also got to the parking structure yesterday, no information on BGs were given in the payment area.

Got on the tram and the guy on the mic was a wannabe Jungle Cruise Skipper, stated that there is something he should be reading about Rise of Resistance but joked that he wasn't going to do that and didn't. I couldn't believe it and there were a good 10 minutes before park opening and what I assume would have been BG information, was not given.

You could tell people entering the park were taken back by the amount of people on their phones and then cheers.

Bait & Switch.

"Honey.....why is everybody on their phone?"

"Don't worry about it dear. Let's just go get in line for that new ride we've been seeing ads for the past couple of weeks. I'm sure it will be crowded."

Maybe I'm just a jerk or it's the Type A in me coming out, but I don't really feel pity for people who can't bother to do even 10 minutes of basic research about a place they're visiting..... If someone can't do that and they're upset they missed out on something, well... too bad so sad.

Bait & Switch.

"Honey.....why is everybody on their phone?"

"Don't worry about it dear. Let's just go get in line for that new ride we've been seeing ads for the past couple of weeks. I'm sure it will be crowded."
vs -- oh, what's that line coming out of Galaxy Edge down mainstreet? What, they've been here since 4AM? Oh and the ride broke three times and stalled the line for three hours (like at WDW today)?

ME
I'm really surprised your tram person referred to the ride but actually chose not to say more! While ours didn't give detailed instructions, he did mention the new ride and that you'd need to get a boarding group after entering the park in order to have a chance. He at least gave enough information where anyone unaware had a heads up extra steps were needed and they should try and find out more. (I will say, it seemed like everyone in our vicinity already knew the deal however!) If was going to joke about it though, might as well at least add the rest.

Couple of thoughts.

Would guests get upset if they were limited to ride once a week to allow other guests a shot at riding it?

Would you like it if the three main hotels gave you a pass to ride during your visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!