Rise of the Resistance...ride discussion (spoilers)

Is ROTR losing its luster for anyone else?

I have been on it 9 times now, and experienced the different directions your vehicle may go.
The first few rides on ROTR I was easily deeming this the best attraction that Disney has ever done.

However, after about the 4th ride I started to notice that I was getting less excited about the experience the more I went on it.
Now it is starting to feel like the ride is missing something.

I still love the pre-show portions, probably my favorite part, but even that is starting to get a bit boring. I mostly enjoy seeing the other guests reaction to that portion.

Maybe it is the smoothness of the vehicle moving around.
Maybe it is the fact that most of the ride is screen based and there is not enough for me as the rider to focus on.
Maybe it is the shortness of the simulator part, which is supposed to be the most thrilling part.

I don't really feel this way about any other attraction at Disney. My wife even deemed that she likes Smugglers Run more or how interactive and different each experience may be.
I don't think I would go agree with that, but with more destinations and experiences, I can see SR being better in the long run.

Am I alone in thinking this way?

I've been on it four times and I'm ready to take a break for a while so that I don't get tired of it (and because getting there in time takes so much effort), but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's not a thrill ride - it's a dark ride. It's telling a story and it's showing off incredibly impressive sets, but if you go so often that you lose the "wow" factor, then, yeah, you're not getting everything out of the ride. Again, I don't think that's a bad thing, and I don't think it's in opposition to what the ride was intended to be. I don't think it's meant to be the sort of ride you hop on every single day.

I think the riding 9 times in 2 months part is what's making it lose its luster for you, not the ride itself. There are very few rides that would hold their full impact for me riding them that often, if any. Even Flight of Passage and Haunted Mansion, two of my favorites, I won't ride every single time I visit the park (which is a couple times a month for me) - I don't want to get bored of them. In contrast, I haven't made it over to Tower of Terror in almost a year, and when I finally rode it again this past weekend, it was like a whole new ride, because I'd forgotten how it felt and it took me by surprise again, even though I've probably been on it a couple dozen times or so over the few years prior.

Take a break for a bit. Give yourself a chance to forget some of the details, to let the scale of it fade from your mind for a while, and then when you come back to it, you might have a better chance of finding the sense of surprise that the ride is supposed to evoke.

I've been on it four times and I'm ready to take a break for a while so that I don't get tired of it (and because getting there in time takes so much effort), but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's not a thrill ride - it's a dark ride. It's telling a story and it's showing off incredibly impressive sets, but if you go so often that you lose the "wow" factor, then, yeah, you're not getting everything out of the ride. Again, I don't think that's a bad thing, and I don't think it's in opposition to what the ride was intended to be. I don't think it's meant to be the sort of ride you hop on every single day.

I think the riding 9 times in 2 months part is what's making it lose its luster for you, not the ride itself. There are very few rides that would hold their full impact for me riding them that often, if any. Even Flight of Passage and Haunted Mansion, two of my favorites, I won't ride every single time I visit the park (which is a couple times a month for me) - I don't want to get bored of them. In contrast, I haven't made it over to Tower of Terror in almost a year, and when I finally rode it again this past weekend, it was like a whole new ride, because I'd forgotten how it felt and it took me by surprise again, even though I've probably been on it a couple dozen times or so over the few years prior.

Take a break for a bit. Give yourself a chance to forget some of the details, to let the scale of it fade from your mind for a while, and then when you come back to it, you might have a better chance of finding the sense of surprise that the ride is supposed to evoke.
I don't know where the "RotR is a thrill ride" statement started. It was never billed as a thrill ride, and it does have some thrilling moments it is for sure better categorized as a dark ride I agree, if it's getting boring or not to your liking you can always skip it. There's probably only one attraction in all WDW that I ride every week and never get tired of it, and that's The Peoplemover :D

I have been on it 9 times now, and experienced the different directions your vehicle may go.
The first few rides on ROTR I was easily deeming this the best attraction that Disney has ever done.

However, after about the 4th ride I started to notice that I was getting less excited about the experience the more I went on it.

I still love the pre-show portions, probably my favorite part, but even that is starting to get a bit boring. I mostly enjoy seeing the other guests reaction to that portion.

Maybe it is the fact that most of the ride is screen based and there is not enough for me as the rider to focus on.
Maybe it is the shortness of the simulator part, which is supposed to be the most thrilling part.

I don't really feel this way about any other attraction at Disney. My wife even deemed that she likes Smugglers Run more or how interactive and different each experience may be.
I don't think I would go agree with that, but with more destinations and experiences, I can see SR being better in the long run.

There aren’t many screens on RoTR in my opinion- that’s one reason I enjoy it so much, almost everything is really, physically there. The parts with screens really couldn’t have been done any other way, except they could’ve used animatronics in the AT-AT’s. But I agree with pp- I would get tired of almost anything if I rode it 9x in two months, which isn’t a reflection of the ride.

You could say that about many rides I think. I haven’t done it more than once yet. However I’m not sure I could pinpoint what it would be missing. Smugglers run and rides like toy story mania are different in the fact you can change your ride each time from your input. The interactivity makes it different.

There aren’t many screens on RoTR in my opinion- that’s one reason I enjoy it so much, almost everything is really, physically there. The parts with screens really couldn’t have been done any other way, except they could’ve used animatronics in the AT-AT’s. But I agree with pp- I would get tired of almost anything if I rode it 9x in two months, which isn’t a reflection of the ride.
There are more screens than people realize they are just used in very good ways.

There are more screens than people realize they are just used in very good ways.

Yeah, unlike most of Universal’s attractions...nearly everything over there that isn’t a coaster (and even some of those) is largely or entirely screen based. That’s what I was comparing RotR to in my head- there’s a fair amount of screens but in most cases there was no good alternative and the way the screens were incorporated, you don’t feel like you’re just staring at a screen most of the time. Most of Universal’s attractions I am quite aware that I’m just watching a video, which I can do at home, and I don’t get that feeling with RotR.

I've only ridden once so tons of stuff I missed, but the screens were one thing that I found I noticed / were distracted by on some level (not in a major way, just something I took note of, more of a minor observation than anything). I’ve never been to Universal so I can't relate to the experiences there, other than what I read about similar to above regarding heavy screen use.

What screens are you taking about? I might have to watch a ride through again, I’m not remembering screens. I’ve only ridden once.

I've only ridden once so tons of stuff I missed, but the screens were one thing that I found I noticed / were distracted by on some level (not in a major way, just something I took note of, more of a minor observation than anything). I’ve never been to Universal so I can't relate to the experiences there, other than what I read about similar to above regarding heavy screen use.
the attractions at Universal that use screens is very obvious and most don't blend as well, the use of screens on RotR is done masterfully, imho, and although you obviously know they are screens they blend well with the story they are trying to portray

What screens are you taking about? I might have to watch a ride through again, I’m not remembering screens. I’ve only ridden once.
the more obvious ones are the 2 screens in the transport vehicle, the giant screen in the hangar, the one in the interrogation room. Then the use of screens when you see the stormtroopers, on the AT AT, in the firing room and inside the sim part, at the end on Bek's escape pod

the more obvious ones are the 2 screens in the transport vehicle, the giant screen in the hangar, the one in the interrogation room. Then the use of screens when you see the stormtroopers, on the AT AT, in the firing room and inside the sim part, at the end on Bek's escape pod
Ok, I guess I definitely remember the 2 screens in the transport vehicle and on the escape pod- talk about forgetting the obvious! I never thought about the screen in the hangar being a screen, so I guess that didn’t bother me at all! Now that you are mentioning them, I guess I do remember most- so I guess they didn’t affect how I liked the ride. At least after one ride.

I’ve avoided watching ride videos but glanced at one now just to remind myself where I noticed the screens, and it was the Stormtroopers / AT AT sequence - that is what I’m mostly remembering if I recall correctly. Like I said above, obviously a very minor part to the overall experience.

There are screens but there are also many MANy more full set pieces. That's what I loved about it. They didn't park us in front of a screen (Soarin', Spiderman, Jimmy Fallon, Transformers, Simpsons, Kong etc). The screens enhanced portions of the ride.

The screens are used beautifully, like pp said, the effect couldn't have been made any other way

I’ve avoided watching ride videos but glanced at one now just to remind myself where I noticed the screens, and it was the Stormtroopers / AT AT sequence - that is what I’m mostly remembering if I recall correctly. Like I said above, obviously a very minor part to the overall experience.

Yeah, I guess if they had used an anamatronic for that part the motion of the people inside would have been limited. That's the one part of the whole experience where it's a really obvious, in-your-face screen. I think it's the brightness- if those were real people, they wouldn't be that bright. It's just so obviously a screen and animation, unlike everything else. It kinda breaks the immersion. Maybe they should've just made that a real space and hired actors :p

If you think there are too many screens on RotR you probably would not like Universal at all, unless you're a huge coaster and/or Potter fan. Literally about half the attractions are entirely or partly screen-based, and none of it is subtle.

Yeah, I guess if they had used an anamatronic for that part the motion of the people inside would have been limited. That's the one part of the whole experience where it's a really obvious, in-your-face screen. I think it's the brightness- if those were real people, they wouldn't be that bright. It's just so obviously a screen and animation, unlike everything else. It kinda breaks the immersion. Maybe they should've just made that a real space and hired actors :p

If you think there are too many screens on RotR you probably would not like Universal at all, unless you're a huge coaster and/or Potter fan. Literally about half the attractions are entirely or partly screen-based, and none of it is subtle.

I think you are touching on why I even took notice of it - both SWGE attractions have such amazing animatronics in so many places (and everything about the physical setting of RotR is so incredibly impressive) and then you have that one brief part where it’s pretty obvious, it just stood out as something different.

And before I get SW folks mad at me, I didn’t say there were too many screens, just that I noticed some! 😎 Obviously I don’t have the benefit of knowing how screens are used at other parks like Universal as a comparison.

Reading these comments made me think of RnR - for the first few years, when the Aerosmith member asked "Will you get my black Les Paul?" there was a real person in the recording studio who really would pick up the black Les Paul and take it out of the room. I can't remember when Disney dispensed with that acting role....

Has anyone had any trouble of people not staying on their color and budging into the front row when they realize it? (I read these threads before bed, and last night dreamed a pushy lady took my seat in the front row...) in December, we were in the back, so would at least like a chance in April of being in the front!

Has anyone had any trouble of people not staying on their color and budging into the front row when they realize it? (I read these threads before bed, and last night dreamed a pushy lady took my seat in the front row...) in December, we were in the back, so would at least like a chance in April of being in the front!
I don't even remember if I was in front or back rows? It took me two rides to even understand where to see the colors. I was expecting colored seats. Lol. First time I was the last in and took the only empty seat. Does it really affect your ride? Obviously I'd be upset if someone was videoing in front of me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!