River Country, Discovery Island

pdmmail

Earning My Ears
Haven't been to Disney for a while.
Going to go on that 7 for 4 promo.
What happened to River Country and Discovery Island?
Thank you

Discovery Island is Physically still there, but closed when Animal Kingdom opened. All the birds were moved to Animal Kingdom. Rumor has it that the bird droppings are extremely toxic, and as a result, has to be cleaned up before the island opens again for whatever use Disney deems appropriate.

River Country has been closed since the drought 3 years ago. The bacteria level in the lake increased, and Bay lake is now closed for swimming. Since River Country gets its water from Bay Lake, it too is closed.

FW fans have been holding out hope that Disney can come up with the money to renovate River Country so that it no longer uses water from Bay Lake, and re-open it as FW's "themed pool"

I think Discovery Island is kind of creepy now! When the boat to MK goes past it, you can see all the vultures sitting around on the island - and it's very eerie! :earseek:

I hope they do something fun with it soon! :)

I think I once read somewhere that they were "considering" a pirate/treasure hunt kind of thing on Discovery Island. But there would have to be tons of work done to the island before this could happen...it's really overgrown and run down looking.

I thought River Country was closed due to decreased attendance overall and to channel guests to TL and BB...

Thanks
jaysue

I think I once read somewhere that they were "considering" a pirate/treasure hunt kind of thing on Discovery Island.

Pirate Cruise that originates from Grand Floridian makes a stop at the island (and River Country too for that matter)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter