Rivers of light permanently cancelled??

I don't mind not having Primeval Whirl and I sure hope something good can go into Stitch's place. That location feels like it's been cursed for over 20 years.

What was originally in the spot? I know Alien was before Stitch, but what was before that?

I only ever did Stitch once, the next time I was there was with an infant and I didn't want to do it enough to baby swap. Then, it went seasonal a month later. I don't get the hate for it. Not the best ride ever, but a heck of a lot better than the ride that's replaced it for the last four years, that'll likely be there for at least 4 more years.

Disney definitely has a cash problem. These moves help conserve some cash. Expect more moves like this

How exactly does announcing that attractions that weren't open, with no plans to open, will never open saving any cash right now? I'd think they were just dumping bad news when people care about other things, but it seems weird to dump bad news when they are in the middle of trying to get people to come back and there was no pressing reason to make these announcement now. No one though they were going to reopen Stitch with MK or run RoL when the park closes before dark.

How exactly does announcing that attractions that weren't open, with no plans to open, will never open saving any cash right now? I'd think they were just dumping bad news when people care about other things, but it seems weird to dump bad news when they are in the middle of trying to get people to come back and there was no pressing reason to make these announcement now. No one though they were going to reopen Stitch with MK or run RoL when the park closes before dark.
While not a lot I would say it saves on CMs. Those CMs working those areas can move to other areas and subsequently Disney doesn’t need to bring back as many CPs or hire more CMs. Obviously this was likely done already with Stitch since that’s been closed for a while already. RoL would be the biggest savings in crowd control, technicians, and the actors. I hate to say it but Disney May just lay off those technicians permanently unless they are planning a new show in the very short term.

While not a lot I would say it saves on CMs. Those CMs working those areas can move to other areas and subsequently Disney doesn’t need to bring back as many CPs or hire more CMs. Obviously this was likely done already with Stitch since that’s been closed for a while already. RoL would be the biggest savings in crowd control, technicians, and the actors. I hate to say it but Disney May just lay off those technicians permanently unless they are planning a new show in the very short term.
Were those people working when their attractions were closed? Generally when an attraction is closed it might have a couple of hosts there telling people it's closed, but I haven't even seen that at Stitch in a long time and they'll probably still have those people for PW since you can't really hide it.

I'm sure the vast majority of the CMs had already been reallocated.

Were those people working when their attractions were closed? Generally when an attraction is closed it might have a couple of hosts there telling people it's closed, but I haven't even seen that at Stitch in a long time and they'll probably still have those people for PW since you can't really hide it.

I'm sure the vast majority of the CMs had already been reallocated.
Stitch had the meet and greet inside the queue for a while. Like I said this doesn’t really apply to Stitch. Primeval Whirl was seasonal and did reopen once. Rivers of Light would be the biggest impact with CMs.

I’m surprised in a way Disney is just going to not have a show in that spot given the money it must’ve cost to build the infrastructure. On the other hand, I’m sure it’s cheaper to leave that stuff vacant and not pay the techs to operate the show at least in the near future

What was originally in the spot? I know Alien was before Stitch, but what was before that?

I only ever did Stitch once, the next time I was there was with an infant and I didn't want to do it enough to baby swap. Then, it went seasonal a month later. I don't get the hate for it. Not the best ride ever, but a heck of a lot better than the ride that's replaced it for the last four years, that'll likely be there for at least 4 more years.

I find this amusing. There are many threads asking about attractions/other areas that were closed even before covid and what will happen to them.

With this announcement, Disney has said that they are permanently closed and they have no current plans to replace them. Thus the diehard fans have "closure"

For Stitch, no big surprise.

For Primeval Twirl a disappointment. I liked it because it was a "mouse" type roller coaster and I do not mean a Mickey Mouse type roller coaster. It is a type of roller coaster. Much like a wooden roller coaster is different than a steel roller coaster vs a looping coaster. Each has their fans and detractors they are just different.

My guess in regards to Primeval Twirl that it was reaching the end of its useful/safe life. Disney decided that since there are known safety issues and they have no current plans for a replacement, they made it known that the ride will be permanently closed.

Can't address Rivers of Life other than it sounds like it wasn't a "to-do" type of thing and if Disney's Animal Kingdom will be not be staying open into the evening hours for the next few months (at least). Announce that it is permanently closed to level set guess expectations.

I find this amusing. There are many threads asking about attractions/other areas that were closed even before covid and what will happen to them.

With this announcement, Disney has said that they are permanently closed and they have no current plans to replace them. Thus the diehard fans have "closure"

For Stitch, no big surprise.

For Primeval Twirl a disappointment. I liked it because it was a "mouse" type roller coaster and I do not mean a Mickey Mouse type roller coaster. It is a type of roller coaster. Much like a wooden roller coaster is different than a steel roller coaster vs a looping coaster. Each has their fans and detractors they are just different.

My guess in regards to Primeval Twirl that it was reaching the end of its useful/safe life. Disney decided that since there are known safety issues and they have no current plans for a replacement, they made it known that the ride will be permanently closed.

Can't address Rivers of Life other than it sounds like it wasn't a "to-do" type of thing and if Disney's Animal Kingdom will be not be staying open into the evening hours for the next few months (at least). Announce that it is permanently closed to level set guess expectations.
So, agree mostly with the quoted area...
However, I wonder if Disney isn't now taking advantage of a "crisis" time to finally admit they made mistakes in key areas and use this as a time to eliminate those very costly fixing things .

Bear with me, maybe this is toooooo deep thought but....
1) splash - it is a hugely popular ride, but there has been a few areas that constantly break down and were pretty large costs to maintain. While the ride itself will be basically the same( my belief here ) with the move to the new theme, they could also take this chance to repair or replace some of those very expensive characters that gave them fits.
2) Primeval whirl - this was a stop gap move and supposedly a short term area for Disney at AK. I personally feel this was a must for them, it had numerous mechanical issues, and part were scarce to address them.
3) RoL - never did get this to the full designed show, and constantly had issues - getting rid of this will reduce costs - pretty simple driver there
4) Epcot spine and festival area - This to me was a win/win for Disney. I have no idea of why they ever thought people would want or enjoy the multi-level table building in the spine area. Yes, to have a garden spot to sit and enjoy the new night time show makes some sense, and another air conditioned area to sit and have drinks could be appealing. But to totally change the area and add that eyesore was a huge miss, and got a lot of ridicule. My hope is they move to the more "garden area" idea that was once in view, so folks still have some beautiful areas and more seating areas. Use the money saved to really do Mary Poppins idea, and maybe throw in Coco(these are me, not insider leaks).

I also think once the smoke clears, there will be more revisions as well, popular and unpopular to again address key rides that are a pain to maintain - Country Bears, Space Mountain and such

So, agree mostly with the quoted area...
However, I wonder if Disney isn't now taking advantage of a "crisis" time to finally admit they made mistakes in key areas and use this as a time to eliminate those very costly fixing things .

Bear with me, maybe this is toooooo deep thought but....
1) splash - it is a hugely popular ride, but there has been a few areas that constantly break down and were pretty large costs to maintain. While the ride itself will be basically the same( my belief here ) with the move to the new theme, they could also take this chance to repair or replace some of those very expensive characters that gave them fits.
2) Primeval whirl - this was a stop gap move and supposedly a short term area for Disney at AK. I personally feel this was a must for them, it had numerous mechanical issues, and part were scarce to address them.
3) RoL - never did get this to the full designed show, and constantly had issues - getting rid of this will reduce costs - pretty simple driver there
4) Epcot spine and festival area - This to me was a win/win for Disney. I have no idea of why they ever thought people would want or enjoy the multi-level table building in the spine area. Yes, to have a garden spot to sit and enjoy the new night time show makes some sense, and another air conditioned area to sit and have drinks could be appealing. But to totally change the area and add that eyesore was a huge miss, and got a lot of ridicule. My hope is they move to the more "garden area" idea that was once in view, so folks still have some beautiful areas and more seating areas. Use the money saved to really do Mary Poppins idea, and maybe throw in Coco(these are me, not insider leaks).

I also think once the smoke clears, there will be more revisions as well, popular and unpopular to again address key rides that are a pain to maintain - Country Bears, Space Mountain and such
Sadly with Splash, All you're going to get is a cheap reskin.

ROL was...in my opinion...the weakest nighttime entertainment show in any of the parks. Forgettable music, nebulous story, fickle water projection technology, and each time I saw it there was SOMETHING broken/not operational. The original iteration with the performers was much better, but still not something I'd see more than once unless I was with a family member who wanted to see it.

And I'm sorry, the seating situation in that amphitheater was inexcusable. I don't need a reclining armchair, but a back rail would be nice!

I didn't realize I had so many feelings about that show! lol. I'm never one to suggest that IP needs to be shoehorned into every aspect of the parks, but I have a feeling a nighttime show with an Avatar theme would probably be a hit. I'd bet they're looking to do something like that after the next movie comes out.

ROL was...in my opinion...the weakest nighttime entertainment show in any of the parks. Forgettable music, nebulous story, fickle water projection technology, and each time I saw it there was SOMETHING broken/not operational. The original iteration with the performers was much better, but still not something I'd see more than once unless I was with a family member who wanted to see it.

And I'm sorry, the seating situation in that amphitheater was inexcusable. I don't need a reclining armchair, but a back rail would be nice!

I didn't realize I had so many feelings about that show! lol. I'm never one to suggest that IP needs to be shoehorned into every aspect of the parks, but I have a feeling a nighttime show with an Avatar theme would probably be a hit. I'd bet they're looking to do something like that after the next movie comes out.
Unfortunately their best night time shows are in California.
World of Color is amazing and most people agree the DL version of Fantasmic beats the DW version.

I never saw RoL and don't feel like I missed anything. I think they were hoping to hit it out of the park like they did with World of Color but it just fell in for a double.

Unfortunately their best night time shows are in California.
World of Color is amazing and most people agree the DL version of Fantasmic beats the DW version.

I never saw RoL and don't feel like I missed anything. I think they were hoping to hit it out of the park like they did with World of Color but it just fell in for a double.

I used to think that F! in DL was better until they updated it. I don't like it as much now. They changed some of my favorite musical orchestrations! Fireworks shows have generally been better at DL too excepting the party ones from MK.

I did like the first version of ROL a lot, but with every change they made it became less interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter