Riviera hurting: Feb 2020 email promoting Copper Creek.

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
I got an email with special bonus for Copper Creek even though Riviera is on sale. (See attached)

I’ve only gotten DVC emails for a few months and don’t know if this is typical, but this seems like a test balloon and/or further signs of slow sales at Riviera.

It may be an experiment to see if people will add on at Copper Creek (instead of Riviera), or if people will not add on at all (due to a slow economy or other reasons).

Or... does DVC always promote a nearly-sold-out resort just to get those last points out the door?

63A9CA56-EF8C-4858-BCCB-EA17E615BB31.jpeg

I got the email too and didn’t think of why. I got one awhile back about RIV too,

Interesting though though...it could be to test the market!

I even got a call from my guide. About adding CCV. I get the feeling they want to close that out. Funny thing is I read on here a whole back that CCV was sold out. Guess not. And I think RR is not selling especially well. Maybe they should rethink their pricing. I might actually add more CCV if better pricing. Oh, and I had asked guide if we could trade some HHI and BWV contracts essentially to buy more CCV. I asked her this way back with Poly or some other resort and was told no. But this time she said maybe they would. That I would need to call a certain DVC number and talk to them about buying my contracts back from me. Then could use that money to add some CCV. We didnt call and ask. The hubby doesnt want to be bothered right now. My guide then called me back to see if I called them. So they really seem to want to unload the CCV.

I got an email with special bonus for Copper Creek even though Riviera is on sale. (See attached)

I’ve only gotten DVC emails for a few months and don’t know if this is typical, but this seems like a test balloon and/or further signs of slow sales at Riviera.

It may be an experiment to see if people will add on at Copper Creek (instead of Riviera), or if people will not add on at all (due to a slow economy or other reasons).

Or... does DVC always promote a nearly-sold-out resort just to get those last points out the door?

View attachment 476203

Slow economy? I'm under the impression our economy is steaming along not slow. Maybe we are currently experiencing a bump due to the Coronavirus but I'm sure we will rebound once that is under control. I sure hope that is soon, very scary stuff.

FYI I also receive that email but didn't really give it much thought as to the motivation behind the email. I do believe I have received emails in the past for other resorts that were close to being sold out.

View attachment 476203

I got the same email. My take was completely different. I thought maybe they increased the price of CCV too early, and actually selling out CCV is taking longer than usual. I still think it is strange that they listed CCV as "sold out" before it was actually sold out. Again, I took it as sales of CCV didn't continue at the pace they thought once they increased the price, and it is taking too long to close out that resort.

I wouldn't read too much into it until they start to really discount it.

I think it is more of a case to get the info out there that CCV is not truly sold out. In general I think CCV sold many smaller contracts, so I think that is a good market to try to sell add ons.

The question is do people really want add on's from disney direct? Really makes no financial sense especially if you already have a blue card earning contract.

My assumption is the price they would offer you would be much less than you could get selling via the resale market, especially for BWV.
This was my thought as well. Offer the contracts on the resale market. If someone makes an offer, you'll either get that much from them or Disney will pay you that much through ROFR. But if you go to Disney first, their offer might be less than what they would pay if exercising ROFR. And if they don't exercise ROFR, you still get that much from the resale buyer.

This was my thought as well. Offer the contracts on the resale market. If someone makes an offer, you'll either get that much from them or Disney will pay you that much through ROFR. But if you go to Disney first, their offer might be less than what they would pay if exercising ROFR. And if they don't exercise ROFR, you still get that much from the resale buyer.
Yeah, I was more hoping they'd take my 75 points and just do a trade for X number of CCV (like 45-50 with same UY). We'd sign papers and be done. No contacting broker and filling out forms and then signing offer and then waiting for ROFR and then waiting to be paid and then having to declare on taxes (if a profit). Just a 'here, take these points. Give me those points. Mail me some papers. And done'. Oh well...DH would rather have more points than better resort.

I got the email, and it’s just too expensive for me. It all is! We’re in our 70s, and happy with what we have! Our last add ons were in 2018...25 at SSR and 40 at AKV.

Yeah, I was more hoping they'd take my 75 points and just do a trade for X number of CCV (like 45-50 with same UY). We'd sign papers and be done. No contacting broker and filling out forms and then signing offer and then waiting for ROFR and then waiting to be paid and then having to declare on taxes (if a profit). Just a 'here, take these points. Give me those points. Mail me some papers. And done'. Oh well...DH would rather have more points than better resort.

but there's no "better" resort than BWV.
just sayin'
:rolleyes:

but there's no "better" resort than BWV.
just sayin'
:rolleyes:
Yes, but I have 205 BWV in another UY (June) and this 50 in Aug UY. Plus the HHI, which is also a GREAT resort, is high in annual dues and cheaper to just rent other places on the island. Both have a 2042 end date where CCV is longer. AND CCV is tough to book a studio at so we need to book 1BRs and can't do much with our 70 pooints there. So by better, I mean for our circumstances.
So I would love to trade in all my HHI- 25, 50 and 50 there (or just 25 or just 50...whatever they'd take) and then our BWV- 25 and 25. ANd get more CCV. I would but DH would rather just keep the more points (175 we have versus what number of CCV they'd trade us for, I assume would be way way less).

Riveria is not hurting. It has outsold every other resort except the Grand Floridian. Yes, sales have slumped a bit in December and January, but that's not reflective of the Riveria since they have slumped across all of DVC.

I suspect it's a push to try to close out CC. Historically, they do not like to be selling more than two properties at a time. I think they only have 2 show rooms as it is as SS (I least I recall only seeing 2). Reflections is going to start opening up sales soon. It will be difficult when Reflections opens up to sell CC - they have to close it out before they can sell Reflections or they have a problem.

We sold our BCV 2 years ago, to buy back in at WL BR. We love WL more than BC, we decided. Made $$ on the deal, (but broke even with the closing costs) as BCV (stripped contract) sold for much more than the resale at BR (loaded contract). By a stoke of luck, we bought 25 direct first at BR, the last week 25 was enough for a blue card LOL.

Ironically while BWV is ok, it is one of my least favorite DVC locations. Good we all have choices. I like staying all over the place. Including Values & Moderates on cash trips.

View attachment 476203

This is standard for DVD when closing out a resort. The cost of marketing, time spent on less profitable selling, they have a process and pattern that they seem to follow. Once CCV is moved from the active list, they can focus on and better push Rivera and the next new resort.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter