Riviera resort: A thread with a poll / Discussion / Information

What are your top reasons to buy (or not to buy) at RIV?

• Total voters
Thanks, it was you!

(now I'm scratching my head to try to figure out if that means that if everyone they sold points to, wanted a particular day, they wouldn't even be able to book at 11 months...)

And so since the whole resort is expected to be open on 12/16, the rest of the rooms could be sold as cash bookings? :scratchin

Thanks, it was you!

(now I'm scratching my head to try to figure out if that means that if everyone they sold points to, wanted a particular day, they wouldn't even be able to book at 11 months...)

And so since the whole resort is expected to be open on 12/16, the rest of the rooms could be sold as cash bookings? :scratchin
This is correct only so many rooms exist on each use day, far less than owners so not everyone will get a room. All the other rooms go to cash bookings until more points are declared.

This is all outside of welcome home booking which DVC gives themselves a bit more leeway the real hard fast rule is they have to allow owners to access rooms that cost more to book than points declared.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying! I am trying to understand what the bookings filling up at 7mo means, but it's not really any good way to assess real, long term supply or demand, right?

Got it. Thanks for clarifying! I am trying to understand what the bookings filling up at 7mo means, but it's not really any good way to assess real, long term supply or demand, right?
Yeah it’s hard to say, which is why I think skier_pete ignores new resorts until 1 year after they sell out. I’m sure since it’s new people want to stay there and it’s got more availability in December and January than other resorts near parks or on special transportation (aside from buses) so convenient place to switch too.

Since DVC has most of the resort undeclared, I guess if someone buys now and wants a day currently sold out, they will pull one cash room for them as the welcome home reservation. Do they do that for add-ons too?

Since DVC has most of the resort undeclared, I guess if someone buys now and wants a day currently sold out, they will pull one cash room for them as the welcome home reservation. Do they do that for add-ons too?
I’m actually curious about this and touring tomorrow so I plan on asking. I think the answer is no though.

I would think so - you're still spending a decent amount of money. (I was offered it, but just made my own reservation a few days later when the points showed up in my account. Which turned out to be a good thing, since 2 of my 4 booked days are unavailable already, more than 7 months out.)

I was wondering, also, what the incentive would be to open up to more points reservations, and when, if cash rooms aren't selling as well as they should. They'd probably be looking at cash stays (especially first timers, or new to DVC), to be more easily sold on buying RIV with pixie dust in their eyes. And making "rooms harder to book" at 7mo would reinforce w current DVC owners that you'd need to own there to stay there. 8-)

I’m actually curious about this and touring tomorrow so I plan on asking. I think the answer is no though.

Are you doing the full on newbies' tour, or the member tours at 2 and 3pm? (We did the full on tour and bought more than a small add on.)

Are you doing the full on newbies' tour, or the member tours at 2 and 3pm? (We did the full on tour and bought more than a small add on.)
To be honest I’m not sure. I requested specifically to see the rooms only that I already had all the financial information so that would lead me to think it was the member tour.

At this point is doesn't mean much other than it's a busy time of the year and people like to try the new resorts. With many other locations not having much if any inventory for that time it's an opportunity to get a room for some members.

I wanted an Epcot area resort but didn’t want a 2042 expiration date. I’d prefer to be able to walk versus relying on gondolas but I did not think the trade off for the shorter contract at BCV/BWV was worth it. I was a gondola skeptic at first but then it occurred to me: do I really want to bet against Disney on this? The opportunity to buy an early December guaranteed week is what sealed the deal for me.

The dues include a much higher "transportation fee" as a segment so don't think other dues will catch up...

Foisting gondola costs on RIV folks seems a bit like BS to me.

Why? I think the gondolas are going to be a big draw and a primary means of transportation for the resort. I assume the monorail resorts cover some portion of the monorail costs.

If I were looking buy, I'd have to consider the style/look of the resort and the gondola both as positives. Restrictions, right now, we don;t know if they will have a negative impact or not, it would only be a restriction, maybe, if I planned to sell in the future. Fireworks views..neither positive or negative, as there are a lot of influencing factors, like specific room views, and so forth.

I know I'd like to stay there sometime...if there is availability in the right sized room, to try out the gondola.

We were going to add Riviera points, even did the member tour with the special food and such. We loved the rooms and think the gondolas will be great. We got a slimy guide for the tour so that put us off from purchasing there. After some long thinking, we called up our current guide and we purchased a fixed week at CCV. They had week 52 open (surprising this late in sales) so we snatched it up. We already had another CCV contract so if we opt out of our fixed week one year, we can seamlessly combine points for a 2 bedroom and bring family or friends. The point charts were too steep for a 1 bed and 2 bed for us at Riviera so I think that maybe adding 75ish points before they sell out will be good for a studio (2 or 3 days) to complement our Magic Kingdom resort contracts. That will also give us more time to see how the resort does, the gondolas do and how the resale restriction affect anything. I don't think the resale restrictions are doom and gloom but curious to see where the resale price settles.

The point charts were too steep for a 1 bed and 2 bed for us at Riviera so I think that maybe adding 75ish points before they sell out will be good for a studio (2 or 3 days) to complement our Magic Kingdom resort contracts.

I think many people have the same idea. Will be interesting to see how studio availability plays out.

Just jumping in with little to no information on this resort. So....

What are the resale restrictions?

Is DVC selling fixed weeks and not flexible points? Hmmm....

Thank you in advance for the 411.

I ended up choosing CCV over Rivera mostly because the point charts seemed a lot higher for 1 and 2 bedrooms at the Rivera. For example, a preferred view 1 bedroom for early June, when we typically vacation, is 49 points. I can get a 2 bedroom in CV for 44 points during the same time.

Speaking of views, the standard at the Rivera, I’m assuming, is the parking lot. Preferred is what, the Caribbean Beach Resort?

I have no desire to purchase there. Because of the resale restrictions, high MFs, points needed are on the high side. I would like to try and stay there though. But I'm willing to try at 7mos.

I'm wondering how many rooms are available to book on points. I'm going to be trying to book a standard one bedroom in less than 2 weeks. I've been checking the website and there's nothing available at exactly 8am. Plus we have no idea what percentage is standard, right?

Hopefully they declare more before January and I can switch if nothing is available now.

Speaking of views, the standard at the Rivera, I’m assuming, is the parking lot. Preferred is what, the Caribbean Beach Resort?

I’m actually curious about this too, specifically in relation to views of Epcot/Studios. If the standard rooms face the parking lot and the preferred face the pool and water, wouldn’t the standard actually be the ones facing the parks and thus a more desirable view? Trying to figure out where the tower studios face as well. It seems odd that with all the hype they are generating about fireworks views, the room categories don’t seem to correspond to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter