Riviera resort: A thread with a poll / Discussion / Information

What are your top reasons to buy (or not to buy) at RIV?

• Total voters
I'm wondering how many rooms are available to book on points. I'm going to be trying to book a standard one bedroom in less than 2 weeks. I've been checking the website and there's nothing available at exactly 8am. Plus we have no idea what percentage is standard, right?

I think one of the blogs said 30% of the points have been declared, but I have no idea how that breaks down by respective room sizes. Good luck!

I’m actually curious about this too, specifically in relation to views of Epcot/Studios. If the standard rooms face the parking lot and the preferred face the pool and water, wouldn’t the standard actually be the ones facing the parks and thus a more desirable view? Trying to figure out where the tower studios face as well. It seems odd that with all the hype they are generating about fireworks views, the room categories don’t seem to correspond to that.

I have been doing the same, trying to figure out from aerial photos and google maps ... I think you are right, but maybe it'll be like BLT where the standard rooms are the lower floor parking lot rooms, but then they glommed together the equivalent of BLT LV and BLT TPV into one "preferred" category. So you could get lake view and no parking lot, or you'd get some parking lot + theme park/fireworks views. And I'd think that the restaurant and viewing area might be limited they way either California Grill or TOTWL is.

Just jumping in with little to no information on this resort. So....

What are the resale restrictions?

Is DVC selling fixed weeks and not flexible points? Hmmm....

Thank you in advance for the 411.
I believe it's still flexible points, and they have no restrictions when bought directly from Disney. The resale restrictions--anyone who buys any of the 'new' DVC resorts as a 'resale' property, starting with Riviera, will only be able to use their DVC points at their home resort. I think they can still pay the $95 to exchange into RCI though. Also at this point, any resales of the 'old' DVC can use their points at the original 14 and not any of the 'new' DVC. People who already own resales are grandfathered in to whatever restrictions were in place when they bought--we have 2 resales, OKW from 2008 with no restrictions, and BWV from 2014 with some slight restrictions (can't use those pts for Disney Cruises, Disney Collection, non-DVC Disney properties.)

I have no desire to buy into Riviera or even stay their once. The decor totally turns me off--too much white for me. I'm glad other people love it though!

I'm happy with my 2 resales that have no (or slight) restrictions. I can't justify paying full price at this point, and don't need the later expiration date at this stage of my life. I'm not enthused about the location of the property either...if I could walk to a park from there, I might be willing to stay there once. Also the dues are just so high for a new property!

I have no desire to purchase there. Because of the resale restrictions, high MFs, points needed are on the high side. I would like to try and stay there though. But I'm willing to try at 7mos.

I'm wondering how many rooms are available to book on points. I'm going to be trying to book a standard one bedroom in less than 2 weeks. I've been checking the website and there's nothing available at exactly 8am. Plus we have no idea what percentage is standard, right?

Hopefully they declare more before January and I can switch if nothing is available now.

If you can’t book what you want when your window opens, waitlist! As sales progress DVD will declare more units into the condominium, thereby opening up additional availability, and your waitlist will fill.

I think many people have the same idea. Will be interesting to see how studio availability plays out.

Yes, I will be watching availability as well to see if it would be a good strategy even if it's preferred view. Those standard view (parking lot view) should go pretty quickly

I plan on waitlisting and stalking. Hopefully I'll luck out.

Yes, I will be watching availability as well to see if it would be a good strategy even if it's preferred view. Those standard view (parking lot view) should go pretty quickly

I've been informally watching booking availability in December. Because there aren't a ton of new owners booking before 11 mo (although many studios were gone before 7 mo), it looks like there's some walking going on at 7 mo, because some of the rooms pre-Dec 23 are opening up for a short time each day.

I noticed this morning that there was availability on 12/22 and 12/23 as late as 8:35. I'm not sure if that's because the site was down this morning though. But it gives me a glimmer or hope. LOL

Last edited:
Just jumping in with little to no information on this resort. So....

What are the resale restrictions?

Is DVC selling fixed weeks and not flexible points? Hmmm....

Thank you in advance for the 411.

The "resale restrictions" are that Riviera points purchased in the resale market will only be able to be used at Riviera. Because every other DVC resort at this time (the so-called "legacy 14" or L14) has the ability to use any resort whether the points are purchased direct or resale, it has been theorized that this restriction may cause Riviera resale points to be low priced. In addition, it's also theorized that booking after a significant portion the resort is under the resale restriction (10-15 years from now) will be difficult if not done at 11 months.

You can buy both fixed weeks or flexible points. A fixed week is actually made up of flexible points with an automatic booking capability. If you don't want to use the fixed week, you can just use the points to book something else. In the case of Riviera, a fixed week might be desirable. Fixed weeks book before the 11 month window opens, so you'd always be guaranteed a stay during your desired period, not matter how bad booking might become 10-15 years from now.

I've been informally watching booking availability in December. Because there aren't a ton of new owners booking before 11 mo (although many studios were gone before 7 mo), it looks like there's some walking going on at 7 mo, because some of the rooms pre-Dec 23 are opening up for a short time each day.

I noticed it too. Probably the best time to 7 month walk at DRR

Didn't, won't buy. Not a fan of the look and feel of the resort's rooms; points charts are too high; don't like the resale restrictions. I'm sure many will/do love it, yet it's just not our cup of tea.

Just us - happy with our BRV contract, not touching this latest fake out. Others may clearly do as they please.

The "resale restrictions" are that Riviera points purchased in the resale market will only be able to be used at Riviera. Because every other DVC resort at this time (the so-called "legacy 14" or L14) has the ability to use any resort whether the points are purchased direct or resale, it has been theorized that this restriction may cause Riviera resale points to be low priced. In addition, it's also theorized that booking after a significant portion the resort is under the resale restriction (10-15 years from now) will be difficult if not done at 11 months.

You can buy both fixed weeks or flexible points. A fixed week is actually made up of flexible points with an automatic booking capability. If you don't want to use the fixed week, you can just use the points to book something else. In the case of Riviera, a fixed week might be desirable. Fixed weeks book before the 11 month window opens, so you'd always be guaranteed a stay during your desired period, not matter how bad booking might become 10-15 years from now.

Thank you!!!

Well i havent owned dvc yet resale or direct but pulled the trigger tonight bought 200 points direct i like Riviera i like carribean beach too and the gondolas i feel like this is the next big resort that people wish they could of bought to stay like the beach club i have no intention to resale it because no financing involved just dues deffintly pumped i understand though about the resale restrictions and probally would of held off if i already had direct points but diddent

Well, we did it. We are now RIV owners. I already went through all my positives and negatives in an earlier post so I won't repeat them here, but the positives clearly won out for us. Looking forward to booking our first RIV stay for next year!
Congrats! The model rooms were very impressive when I saw them a couple weeks ago.

Well, we did it. We are now RIV owners. I already went through all my positives and negatives in an earlier post so I won't repeat them here, but the positives clearly won out for us. Looking forward to booking our first RIV stay for next year!
Me too, just now! Congrats, neighbor!

Congrats to you both! See you on the gondolas. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter