RnR (general but re Arizona) question

The Expert

Has been to every Disney park in the world
Looking for anyone with experience doing the Rock n Roll series races, and specifically whether they offer deals or discounts for booking at another race. Now that SWLS is canceled, I'm considering doing the RnR Arizona Half! I'm doing the RnR Vegas in November, so would it be beneficial for me to wait and sign up at the Expo there? Or should I just go ahead and sign up online with one of the $10 codes they post on Facebook?

I've only seen deals on signing up when you're signing up early for the next year's same event. But I might have missed something.

If you like the race and start to think about doing more, check out their multi-race packages.

Yeah, I think the best deals are about a year in advance... I got RnR DC for $50 booking right after the 2016 race for 2017. They do occasional deals online for holidays, codes, etc. but it's hard to know when the best one will be.

Hi there. I did the Rock n Roll race series last year and completed 16 half marathons to earn the Hall of Fame medal. So if you need any help with these races, please let me know.

It is unclear at this point if RNR will continue it's tour pass or if the cost will go up. Right now you can do unlimited races for $500 - no reg fees except when you initially buy the pass and it's like minimal. The good news is that if you buy any 2018 races and they announce the pass, you can put your paid total towards the pass and just pay the difference.

For the last two years they've done a flash sale on races - mid December. But no guarantees that will happen again. For Arizona 2018,I'd look for a Rock n Blog code to save $15 and just sign up now. If you google you can find the code.

Usually costs are lowest as soon as a race is done but they can play with prices as they wish. If you have any more questions, please let me know. I have friends who did the 25 race weekends last year and basically covered the spread of what was offered. :)

Great info @courtneybeth - thank you! I did sign up for Vegas right when it was opened, so got a great deal on that one. I figured RnR would be one-and-done for me, but now my Kessel Run plans are shot and I'd like to have something in that Jan/Feb timeframe just to keep me motivated and on track for SWDS in April. Arizona is close for me, so when that popped up on the calendar, I figured, why not? I'll be honest, though, I likely won't enough of them for a tour pass, but if I love the Vegas one it could become a tradition. It's also an easy trip from where I live.

If you want to see RNR at its best, do San Diego. It's their biggest signature event and the course support is awesome. The residents love the runners and will cheer runners on and be the on course entertainment. Plus bands every mile!!

Vegas RnR is so much fun and the fact that it's at night is the icing on the cake for me! There's a FB group called Discount Codes for Races where lots of codes can be found.

If you want to see RNR at its best, do San Diego. It's their biggest signature event and the course support is awesome. The residents love the runners and will cheer runners on and be the on course entertainment. Plus bands every mile!!

Oh we're planning on this next June! So glad to hear this!

@courtneybeth is right - RnR San Diego is awesome, especially for the half! Residents where on their curbs and made full service BARS on course where you (as a runner) could choose your alcohol and chaser! Too fun! I was running the marathon so I couldn't partake but I'd go back just to take all the shots offered to the runners (not sure what my finish time would look like but hey!).

@courtneybeth is right - RnR San Diego is awesome, especially for the half! Residents where on their curbs and made full service BARS on course where you (as a runner) could choose your alcohol and chaser! Too fun! I was running the marathon so I couldn't partake but I'd go back just to take all the shots offered to the runners (not sure what my finish time would look like but hey!).

How's the marathon course? I'm running the full in 2018 because I didn't get courage to do it last year during the HOF quest. I just want the jacket. Hehe.

How's the marathon course?

I did it for the jacket!!!!!! I was looking for a race that split from the half earlier than the 13 mile mark (for my mental sanity :upsidedow) but after they split off the race course got very very lonely. very few spectators compared to the half course (especially since it is on the freeways and out by seaworld and stuff)

The best review I've seen of the race is on bibrave, to paraphrase "MILE 23 is a DREAM KILLER!". And it is! The hill from like 22.5 to 24.5 was pretty deflating: it's on the highway (so boring but also no spectators) and it's steep. Like, really steep. Like, I was not expecting that steepness for that long and I typically run hilly courses. It killed my hopes for a killer PR but then on the bright side the last mile or so is downhill.

Would I do the marathon course again? Probably not, because I flew from Boston and the weather was so blah (no one warned me about june gloom! did not see the sun one time) and I still have nightmares of that hill. But I would definitely go to San Diego again bc of how nice the people were and the city itself and I would definitely consider going to do the half marathon!

I would love to pick your brain on RnR though - favorite race city this year? I really enjoyed the two I did (SD and Philly) and I think they do a pretty dang good job in terms of shirts, expo, medals, etc to compete with disney.

Looking for anyone with experience doing the Rock n Roll series races, and specifically whether they offer deals or discounts for booking at another race. Now that SWLS is canceled, I'm considering doing the RnR Arizona Half! I'm doing the RnR Vegas in November, so would it be beneficial for me to wait and sign up at the Expo there? Or should I just go ahead and sign up online with one of the $10 codes they post on Facebook?

It’s risky to wait, but I believe they offered a crazy low price for some of their races around Black Friday time last year. San Diego has a great half course, but lots of complaints about the full course since they changed it. DH and I are doing the LA race (1/2) in just over a week-excited for the fun Halloween medal!

DH and I are doing the LA race (1/2) in just over a week-excited for the fun Halloween medal!

It's not a Halloween Medal this year :(

201706-RnR-Medals-1043-LRG.jpg

I keep telling myself every year that I will do RnR Arizona, given that it's usually my birthday weekend, and we live in Phoenix, but for some reason, the thought of 2 half marathons on consecutive weekends just seems to make me hesitant to put down the money.

Rock n Roll Tour Pass options were announced for 2018 and are terrible. RNR may not be a feasible option anymore for the price sensitive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter