Rock n Roller coaster - Pooh sized and sometimes has a sore back ?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Hubby was taking about trying Rock n Roller coaster , he’s a big guy who occasionally gets a sore back. How intense is it , is it a ride that can give you a back or neck ache?

Also, is the music ear splitting loud on the ride?

He was totally fine on space mountain if that’s any help.

Thanks for any feedback, Marina

Last edited:
I have a bad back (recently had surgery) and SM bothered me more than RNRC, if that helps. But with that said, I don't ride either of them anymore, it's not worth dealing with my back the rest of the trip if I do have a problem. The music is pretty loud, I guess we all have a different definition of ear splitting though.

Hi all,

Hubby was taking about trying Rock n Roller coaster , he’s a big guy who occasionally gets a sore back. How intense is it , is it a ride that can give you a back or neck ache?

Also, is the music ear splitting loud on the ride?

He was totally fine on space mountain if that’s any help.

Thanks for any feedback, Marina
Some numbers might help...
RnRC is much faster 57mph vs. 35mph, with much greater acceleration 5g vs 3.5g. So it will exert greater force against the rider... but it supports the rider better than SM and I think there is much less getting tossed about on RnRC.

RnRC is also a much shorter length ride, 1 minute 22 seconds vs 2:30 on SM

SM is by most accounts (mine included) a rough ride as far as steel roller coasters go. It's much more like the classic wild mouse roller coasters.

Personally I hate the ride on SM. It beats me up like I owe it money. I go on it once per trip because it's a tradition but ... oof.

Edited to add... The music is appropriate volume ... loud. But again, only for a little over a minute.

On RnR the smoothest ride is in the front. The farther back you go, the tougher it gets - the “crack the whip” effect. So if he decides to ride, ask to be seated close to the front of the car.

How tall is he? My hubby is a big guy too, both in height and weight. Where he has the problem is the pull down shoulder harness isn't really tall enough for him. He has to scrunch down by scooting his bum forward in the seat to fit, which ends up huring his neck and lower back. So he doesn't ride it anymore.

I don't think size wise there should be much of a problem. I'm pooh sized 6'2 305 and fit just fine. My brother is bigger (in height and weight) and fits too. It is a little rough, but not as bad as SM. I won't ride SM, and RNRC is my favorite ride in Disney. My mom has back problems and rides RNRC without issue.

There's not even a comparison. RnR is far, far smoother than SM. I disagree that the back is rougher than the front. There aren't a lot of whip effect bends in the track on RnR, just one or two. I would actually say the back may be just as good as the front if you have neck or back issue. When you launch into that first loop, if you're in the back you'll go through the first part of the loop a bit slower than the front does. Either way, if you put your head back for the initial launch, I think you'll find RnR to be a much easier ride to tolerate physically than SM.

I'm 6'6" and love SM so long as I'm not in the front of a car. But RnR destroys my back: I have to slide my butt forward just to get a click or two on the shoulder harness which puts a lot of pressure on the lower back. Also, no support behind the head for that take off. I love the ride too, but skipped it last year.

My dad has a bad back & he likes RNRC a lot. I think SM hurts him way more - I never see him go on that one anymore whereas he wants to ride RNRC. Wait for the front & the ride will be smoother. I don't think the music is too loud & I'm the person who wears earplugs to concerts, football games, group workout classes, etc. :P

I am 6' and 300+ and fit just fine on RNRC. It is much smoother than SM and the restraints hold you so you don't move around like on SM. SM is a one and done for me each trip because it is so rough, but I can ride RNRC over and over. The music is loud but not rock concert loud. As I get older I don't like things as loud as I once did, but RNRC is fine, it's more all around you than just high volume. Be aware, you didn't say if he was riding alone or not, but if so he better off getting a FP than the single rider line. For some reason the single rider line on RNRC isn't near as fast as other rides.

How tall is he? My hubby is a big guy too, both in height and weight. Where he has the problem is the pull down shoulder harness isn't really tall enough for him. He has to scrunch down by scooting his bum forward in the seat to fit, which ends up huring his neck and lower back. So he doesn't ride it anymore.

He’s 6feet tall. I think close to 300

I don't find RnR to be smooth at all! In my opinion it is not a ride to go on if you are sore to begin with. Not to mention, getting in and out of the seat can be a bit tricky too.

I think it helps to keep my head pressed back to avoid a sore neck.
And yes, the “front seat” of each car in the train has about 6” more leg room.

As someone 6'5", I feel his pain.

And yet I ride it over and over and over... Eventually I get short enough it doesn't matter. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!