ROFR Thread January to March 2024 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, quite rare for the points to not already be banked so I don't consider that to be an argument for direct. One can always wait on a resale with banked or bankable points or negotiate a lower price. Negotiating a lower price is something not available on direct.
Most resale contracts seem to be stripped…. so I would argue that a guarantee double point contract in your desired use year that loads instantly does offer value….

Most resale contracts seem to be stripped…. so I would argue that a guarantee double point contract in your desired use year that loads instantly does offer value….
I've never bought a stripped resale contract. You just don't buy one that is or adjust the offer price. However I've ended up with direct contacts without current points (others have too) so as they say there's no guarantees.

In either case nobody is forced to purchase what won't be satisfactory for themselves. And still, resale is the only way to possibly get previous years points. Never said they all have them. Direct starts with current. Usually. Not always.

Last edited:
I've never bought a stripped resale contract. You just don't buy one that is or adjust the offer price. However I've ended up with direct contacts without current points (others have too) so as they say there's no guarantees.

In either case nobody is forced to purchase what won't be satisfactory for themselves. And still, resale is the only way to possibly get previous years points. Never said they all have them. Direct starts with current. Usually. Not always.
This whole line of response was because a previous poster implied that double points don’t actually exist on direct contracts when responding to another poster.

It has nothing to do with your personal contract purchase history or anyone else’s for that matter. It is not trying to say that direct is superior to resale. It is not trying to say that anyone is forced to do anything.

It is simply an observation that IMO you can in fact have “double points” on a direct contract in so much as that is the common term that is used for banked points on a resale contract….

And it is a verifiable fact that the vast majority of contracts on the market right now have no banked points or are stripped of their current use year if points.

This whole line of response was because a previous poster implied that double points don’t actually exist on direct contracts when responding to another poster.

It is simply an observation that IMO you can in fact have “double points” on a direct contract in so much as that is the common term that is used for banked points on a resale contract….

It was me, and I didn’t imply it. I stated it as fact. You don’t get double points. Ever.

You can couch it in whatever language you choose, put it in quotes, whatever, but the fact remains that you get the current year’s points and that’s it. If you happen to purchase near the end of the use year, then the current years points and the following years points will load right after one another, but that’s still not double and you don’t get a single point more than anyone else.

It was me, and I didn’t imply it. I stated it as fact. You don’t get double points. Ever.

You can couch it in whatever language you choose, put it in quotes, whatever, but the fact remains that you get the current year’s points and that’s it. If you happen to purchase near the end of the use year, then the current years points and the following years points will load right after one another, but that’s still not double and you don’t get a single point more than anyone else.

This site and every resale site commonly refers to a contract that has the previous years points banked into the current use year as “Double Points”.

So IMO it’s not “wrong” for the previous poster to say they got “double points” on their direct contract when used in that context.

I understand your point that they are really just getting the previous year’s points and that you don’t approve of the wording “double points”.

I will leave it at that because this is getting silly.

This site and every resale site commonly refers to a contract that has the previous years points banked into the current use year as “Double Points”.

So IMO it’s not “wrong” for the previous poster to say they got “double points” on their direct contract when used in that context.

I understand your point that they are really just getting the previous year’s points and that you don’t approve of the wording “double points”.

It was me that started it and I'm sorry for triggering any sensitivities. The DVC rep said "Double points in '23" if I bought, which would have been purchased late in 23. Anyone that doesn't like the wording should probably take it up with the DVC sales reps :D

I think this is the point. If I found a contract with the previous years points banked into the current year (as you stated) I would consider this double points. None of your posts suggest this though. You state, quite correctly, that if you purchase direct you may get current points, which can be banked to the next year. I am not aware of any situation in which a direct purchase would give you previous years points?

Your post seems contradictory. Having current points is just points. It's not a stripped contract. Having the previous year as well as the current year is double points.

The problem I have with the notion of double points, when used in the context of resale or direct, is that it is a marketing ploy to make it seem you get something others would not be getting.

So, it shouldn’t be referred to as that and I think brokers and guides who use the term are misleading the buyer.

It’s why many of us chime in to explain. You absolutely can end up with two years worth of points to use immediately at the beginning of your membership if you buy direct or if you buy a contract resale in which the owner had banked points.

But I definitely think it’s fair to explain what it really is, especially when resale brokers suggest buyers pay MFs based on points and not based on calendar year, like direct does.

According to Disney's '23 10-K filing with the SEC, their current liquidity ratio (assets/liabilities) is 1.05. Their quick ratio is below 1. They got no cash for ROFR.

For comparison sake, Universal had a current ratio of over 4.0.
I do not agree with the idea that a company with $7,180,000,000 cash on hand at the end of Q1 can’t afford to ROFR a dozen or two $15,000 contracts to improve their long term business outlook (or to flip).

I do not agree with the idea that a company with $7,180,000,000 cash on hand at the end of Q1 can’t afford to ROFR a dozen or two $15,000 contracts to improve their long term business outlook (or to flip).
If you have $10, but owe $20 to the doctor. Can you afford $2 for ice cream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter