Room amenities cut at AKL?

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
I just got back from a 5 night stay at Jambo House, studio. my 5th time there.
I was surprised to find no hand lotion, no note pad, and no pen. I thought perhaps an oversite.
I told a Mousekeeper my room had no hand lotion. She told me they're not putting out hand lotion anymore, and volunteered that they are not putting out note pads and pens.
She made a phone call, even though I told her not to bother, and in a few members a CM came and delivered a hand lotion.
So I guess they are making cutbacks.

Yeah, the removal of hand lotion has been the butt of many jokes the past several months... it's across all of WDW. Not exactly in line with "deluxe" resorts. Probably tied to the environmental efforts/ removal of single-use plastics (like the big containers of shampoo, etc).

Noticed a couple weeks ago, at HHI, that they no longer put the note pad and pen. Was looking all over for it to write something down. I'd rather they cut the body wash or shampoo and conditioner than the lotion. I bring my own shampoo and conditioner and I prefer using the bar soap to the body wash.

Since we all pay for these things via MFs, I don't mind not having lotion (I routinely pack my own when traveling), but I agree it seems we should have a note pad and pen by the phone. Oh wait, maybe they plan to eliminate phones too as they did bedside clocks?

Did you buy resale???
Just joking, sometime the staff gets lazy and doesn't do all of what they should.
The Mousekeeper I spoke to said that perhaps the lotion was out of stock. She also told me that the non-DVC rooms also weren't getting hand lotion (I looked at a housekeeping cart in the non-DVC area, and it seemed they only had tubes of shampoo and conditioner).
The CM who delivered a tube to me said that they are no longer stocking the hand lotion, but I suppose assuming that I liked the brand rather than being someone who's just looking for a freebie to take home, advised me that it can be purchased in the resort store.
Maybe someone who's there now can check with a bus driver for a definitive answer. (One told me this week that Disney can't get new monorails because new ones are bigger and won't fit through the Contemporary.)

Now that I think of it, I remember reading on other Disney resort boards (non-DVC) reports that lotion is being phased out there, too. So it seems to be a conscious decision on Disney’s part, not a temporary shortage.

We too noticed the lack of pen, paper, and lotion at AKL. At least BLT and SSR had pen and paper.

I'd be OK with a large pump bottle of lotion secured on the wall. I read about the lack of lotion and brought my own.

I can't wait to see the decrease in dues due to these cutbacks :rotfl2:

Since we all pay for these things via MFs, I don't mind not having lotion (I routinely pack my own when traveling), but I agree it seems we should have a note pad and pen by the phone. Oh wait, maybe they plan to eliminate phones too as they did bedside clocks?
I personally can’t stand alarm clocks, too much light in the room, no matter the color of the clock. I like a room dark, it’s much better for you when you sleep. I have a phone and a watch if I need the time or an alarm. Is it convenient to roll over and look at the alarm clock, yes it is.

I always use the pen and pad every single trip. I’ll be calling about that as silly as that may seem. I’ve really liked since they got the lotion everywhere too. Might have to call for that too. Yeah, far from deluxe and all the pricing increases. And our budgets were determined awhile ago. I bet it included lotion at the time.

I also use the pen and pad ever trip, I too will be calling for those items. This is kind of crazy and penny pinching to remove such small items. I also like the lotion and will request but now that I know it's no longer being given I will bring my own just incase I can't get any.

I have to say I do miss the clock in the room sure glad I have my phone...

Looking at it from a different point of view. It gives me hope that Disney takes keeping our cost down as much as possible seriously. Or at least they are taken into consideration.

I do appreciate it. The pen, paper and moisturizer are things we never use. I Cary a pen, paper in one form or another and other everyday necessities in my Every Day Carry EDC so no problem.

Looking at it from a different point of view. It gives me hope that Disney takes keeping our cost down as much as possible seriously. Or at least they are taken into consideration.

I do appreciate it. The pen, paper and moisturizer are things we never use. I Cary a pen, paper in one form or another and other everyday necessities in my Every Day Carry EDC so no problem.

A tiny, tiny fraction of a cent per point is what these items would cost.

Yea, I get that, but if they are looking at even the small things it looks good on them. Hopefully they are looking out for us on the larger things as well. Just being an optimist.

We've just got back from BWV and there wasn't any lotion or pad & paper, not bothered about the lotion but it was annoying not having a pen & pad to make notes on.

Yea, I get that, but if they are looking at even the small things it looks good on them. Hopefully they are looking out for us on the larger things as well. Just being an optimist.

It’s a nice thought and pretty unlikely IMO. It’s just easier to not handle them so they’re seeing if people complain or even notice. My bet is the penny pinching is being made by the hotel side for the $400-$1000 per night hotel side rooms and DVC is just caught up in it.

We've just got back from BWV and there wasn't any lotion or pad & paper, not bothered about the lotion but it was annoying not having a pen & pad to make notes on.
A few years ago when I was staying at a studio at OKW, someone had written phone numbers ON the night stand! I immediately called the front desk and told them not to blame me for some inconsiderate idiot writing on wood instead of the provided pad.

It’s a nice thought and pretty unlikely IMO. It’s just easier to not handle them so they’re seeing if people complain or even notice. My bet is the penny pinching is being made by the hotel side for the $400-$1000 per night hotel side rooms and DVC is just caught up in it.

It's one thing for the hotel side to penny-pinch, but if DVC's expenses are paid for by member dues, shouldn't the "cost-saving" go back to the members? Even if it's "only a penny per point" saving, shouldn't we at least have a say on whether we want to "splurge" on these items rather than save a pretty penny?

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter