Room Checks

sorry what?!
I've literally never heard of a hotel employee (Disney or otherwise) just coming into your room to look around?? is this a common thing in America? or is this just a Disney thing?

sorry what?!
I've literally never heard of a hotel employee (Disney or otherwise) just coming into your room to look around?? is this a common thing in America? or is this just a Disney thing?
It started after the massacre in Las Vegas. It is required at all Disney hotels and not uncommon in other chains, though there is no consistency.

I have stayed at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness in Aug 2022 and Aug 2019. Both times we had daily cabin checks. The cabin checks are really frustrating. I have called to schedule the room checks and that works - sometimes. I asked them to do the room check at 7am, before we left for the parks but was told that 8am was the earliest. I want to be there during the room check. The room checks are high invasive and I really wish Disney would end this practice. I learned from watching the Oprah show in my youth to never open the door to someone claiming to be maintenance or security at a hotel because it's not safe. I guess Disney execs never watched Oprah growing up?

sorry what?!
Just a Disney thing. It is very strange to me and I'm Merican. ; )

I'm not really sure what the big secret about this is. If they're doing it for a particular reason, then why not say what it is? Because they don't want to tip off the potential perpetrators? But wouldn't these potential perpetrators all know by now that Disney does room checks and make sure that whatever it is that's supposed to be in the room isn't there when there's a room check?

It's my understanding--perhaps wrong--that if you get housekeeping that day, that that's the room check. But I could be wrong. I've had visits where I've never seen the room checker and other visits where more than one hoped-for rest period in the afternoon has been ruined by a room checker.

If WDW doesn't want weapons on the property--something I agree with--then they could have metal detectors at all the front gates. But they don't want that. That would ruin the guest experience. However, they don't mind ruining the guest experience with random, unexplained-to-the-occupant room checks.

If it's about HT--which others have suggested but I have no proof that that's the case--then they might notice someone like me, who's been coming for years, who wears a MB and can be tracked during everything I do and realize that I'm not engaged in this practice. Even the TSA trusts me with TSA Precheck.

I realize that they're a private company and they can do whatever they want, so there's no need to mention that in response to what I'm saying. It's just super annoying when it happens and there's something quite creepy about it, depending on the person who comes to do the check. More than one of my room checkers has been someone who could be just about anyone, not necessarily a WDW CM. Yes, they were wearing a name tag, but I imagine that they must be not all that difficult to either get a hold of or fabricate. I mean, as long as we're talking about potential crimes here, let's not forget that one. Do I think that's happening? No, I do not. But it could.

I know this is an older thread, but this is our first stay at a DVC resort. We stay at many timeshare resorts, not just in Orlando but across the country. This just happens to be our first multi night DVC stay, so the multiple knocks on the door so far on day one is a bit of a shock to us. We love timeshare stays because of the additional privacy and someone not wanting to come in our room to clean every day. At our other timeshare (Marriott and Vistana) we usually leave the do not disturb sign on the door and aren't bothered. No DnD signs here. First they came to ask if we wanted trash taken out. Uh no, we just checked in at 8pm last night. I didn't think they offered dally cleaning or tidy for DVC stays? Then later they knock on the door again (different person). Me just in my boxers and on a phone call. They ask "Can I come in", uh no. They ask if they can come back, I say in an hour and a half.

We don't own DVC and booked here on an exchange through Interval International. This might be something that would deter us from doing it again. We work full time remote and will mostly be working during the day and heading out in the late afternoons. I know we aren't the usual DVC guest, but is there such a thing anymore? What an annoyance and it will be worse if they come knocking while on a conference call. It also makes it hard to leave anything out in the room (valuables) knowing someone could come strolling in at any moment. I know this is possible anywhere, but it is assured when staying at Disney.

They ask "Can I come in", uh no. They ask if they can come back, I say in an hour and a half.
This shows how pointless the whole exercise is. Politely agreeing to come back in an hour or so allows more than enough time to hide any weapons, or evidence of human trafficking. These “checks” would only be effective if they are unscheduled, and the checker forces his way into the room as soon as you open the door.

This shows how pointless the whole exercise is. Politely agreeing to come back in an hour or so allows more than enough time to hide any weapons, or evidence of human trafficking. These “checks” would only be effective if they are unscheduled, and the checker forces his way into the room as soon as you open the door.
A quick update. They did come back. We are in a 1BR SSR. He walked into the entry, stuck his head around the corner to look into the livingroom and dining room area and said that was it then left.

A quick update. They did come back. We are in a 1BR SSR. He walked into the entry, stuck his head around the corner to look into the livingroom and dining room area and said that was it then left.
I know firsthand how annoying this is. They invariably come when we're either napping or about to take a nap. It's impossible to guess when they might show up. We hope they'll come when we're in the parks--and we've taken to putting anything of any value in the safe when we're not in the room--but we could be in the parks all day and come back at 6 and they arrive just after.

We don't stay DVC, btw. We're regular old resort guests. I'd love to know if they've ever caught anyone doing or having whatever it is they're looking for. But if I know they do this then for sure criminals do. Also, if weapons are what they're concerned about, they could easily have metal detectors at the front of all the resorts. But they don't want to do that even though they have metal detectors at the front of all the parks. People are paying even bigger bucks to stay at the resorts, so they have to seem welcoming . . . yet is having someone disturb you while you're trying to relax in your room (or do work, as you are) very welcoming?

It's worse at the resorts now than it was pre-covid, because there isn't daily housekeeping at many of the resorts. We've stayed at AKL and POFQ and had only every-other-day trash + towel service and in fact had to nearly beg for even that last December at AKL, so the daily maid service, which used to be sufficient to keep the room checkers at bay, isn't happening anymore.

I feel for you, @dioxide45. I hope the rest of your stay goes better.

Currently here at Pop Century, it’s our last day and it’s SO hot (my weather app says the “real feel” is 112 degrees!) So, we are in the room trying to relax, stay cool, and nap. We are aware of the room checks, and the other day when we were napping they came in, apologized, and walked through the room into the bathroom (flushed the toilet?!?), then left. Cool, that’s no problem, we expected that (well maybe not the toilet flushing part.) Well today someone knocks until my husband gets up to answer the door. We didn’t have the latch on, but they just kept knocking instead of coming in, so he got up. Once he answered the door, the lady said she was here to do a room check. He told her ok that’s fine, go ahead. She then says “ok, can you step out of the room for a minute?” So here I am, laying in bed in my pjs with a pillow over my head, being asked to get up and exit the room. What?? After a few minutes of me stuttering “what, what’s going on” (seriously, I was confused and disoriented) she finally says she can come back later. Has anyone else ever been asked to get up out of bed and leave the room for a room check?? So weird.
I would simply say not right now and they would simply return later. It's an annoying practice and they need to try and do it along with the trash when your not there.

Can’t say they have ever been invasive and yes this is common at least at the other resorts we stayed at also work travel. At Disney for the last 2 stays they would knock ask if we had any trash if I said no they would scan the door and leave otherwise take the trash. Other stays never saw them. I did see a hand made sign on a door this year that asked housekeeping to never enter the room. I can think of no better way to have security inspect your room. We personally take no offense. Want to look at yesterdays clothes on the floor because we got back late have fun.

The knock on the door was daily asking if we wanted trash taken out. I didn't think daily trash was something you got staying in DVC? Most days they didn't come in. Twice we turned down the trash pickup and today I had the bags sitting by the door ready. We needed some TP too, so we wanted to make sure we didn't miss them today.

So they can come in daily for room checks but they can’t come in daily to clean the rooms?!!
I hate those room checks. I guess I won’t be staying at Disney resorts, specifically for that reason. I like my privacy, especially with some of my health issues.

Just a Disney thing. It is very strange to me and I'm Merican. ; )

Not just a Disney thing. Happened to us at the Hilton in Columbus, OH, a few weeks ago. My husband was in a virtual meeting in the room at the time so the employee said she would come back later. I have no idea if she actually came back or not as we left the room about an hour later and were gone for about 8 hours. But she clearly stated she was there to do a security check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!