Rory's Birthday Trip Day 3

JulieH

Mouseketeer
DAY 3-TUESDAY 7TH JUNE 2005 -THE BIRTHDAY

I woke up at 5.30, everyone else slept until about 6.30. DS enjoyed opening his birthday presents which we’d brought with us. I hadn’t wrapped them in case customs stopped us , so I had the wrapping paper but I’d lost the sticky tape! One full Newcastle home strip later and a very happy boy. Some of his cards had euros in them too so he was even happier. We had breakfast booked for 7.30-8.00 . I thought we were better getting up for breakfast earlier and then going back to the room rather than having a later breakfast and getting caught in queues in the restaurant. It was busier by the time we left the restaurant most mornings but not as bad as I had thought it might be. We had breakfast in the Cape Cod restaurant and enjoyed it.

Back in the foyer of the hotel there were no characters for photographs that morning, but a CM said we could go to the Sequoia Lodge and see who they had .It should have been Captain Hook and Smee at our hotel and it was Goofy at the SL but DS decided not to bother as he’d seen him at the character breakfast the day before. The balloon wasn’t flying that morning as it was too windy ( but it wasn’t raining though).

We went straight to Disneyland Park that morning, DS was in charge again. As we walked up Main Street we saw Mickey Mouse at Casey’s Corner so DS went to get his photo taken with him there as he hadn’t had one in the hotel. After that we went to Discoveryland. We did everything there except for Space Mountain2, which after RnR the day before nobody was quite brave enough for (maybe later was often heard). We had our lunch at the Café Hyperion . DH and DS found a table at about 12.45 and I went to get burgers and chicken strips (really lovely and huge too) and chips and we ate them slowly while watching the 1 o’clock performance of Lion King. Although this was in French we still really enjoyed it. Lots of other people at other tables had the same idea as no one moved for the length of the show.

After lunch we wandered into Adventureland and through Frontierland. We did Phantom Manor which didn’t have a very long queue. We didn’t see the scary black guy that a lot of you have . When we got to the door of the manor the CM shut the door in our faces but not before he asked which team DS was wearing.

We went from there to Plaza Gardens for the Character Birthday Party. We were booked for the 3 o’clock sitting so we went for 2.30ish and were told that they didn’t let anyone in until 3. So we went for a little wander through the shops in Main Street and went back about 5 to where there was quite a queue. DS hadn’t known about this until we left Café Hyperion when we said we needed to be somewhere at 3. We wouldn’t tell him where, we just said it was a surprise but he got a bit anxious at this. I think he thought it was going to be a bad surprise (another go on RnR). We just had to tell him it was a good surprise from Granny and Grandad. DS and I went to get some food while DH stayed at our table. The characters started to come through then so DS was off back to the table, I wasn’t the only Mum left then to try and manage on their own. All the tables had a birthday card on and the characters were signing them when they got to the table. They also got a carrier bag with a soft toy Mickey which sings Happy birthday to you and the envelope for their card ,and another ‘pop up’ picture of Mickey, Donald etc.

There was a photographer going round too so they were taking lots of photos. We had 8 characters , 4 of them were the same as at the character breakfast the day before. Smee went around but never made it to our table. There were some children wandering around to the characters at this where as at the breakfast everyone waited for the characters to go to their table. Then they played a happy birthday song and brought out birthday cakes for each table. I thought we just got a slice of cake so I was quite surprised when we got a whole cake. It was a lovely chocolate cake with 3 candles on it. As DS was eating this he said it was a lovely thing for Granny and Grandad to have done, I nearly started to cry . Some people were going away and just leaving the cake, but I saw another table ask for it to be wrapped up so I did the same. We left the Plaza Gardens and then realised that the music we were hearing was for the parade. We couldn’t see too well, we were behind a French tv crew so most of the photos and video have the sound man’s bald head or microphone in them. We enjoyed the parade but decided that we would do it properly later in the week.

DS then decided he wanted to go back to the hotel for a rest. We went to the room and wrote some postcards then went back to the park again about 6. We did some of the rides in Fantasyland until the park closed. On the way back to the hotel we decided we were getting hungry but didn’t really want a big meal so we went to the railway station and got some filled baguettes from a shop there. We smuggled these into the hotel and ate them in our room. We had noticed a cocktail list in the bar on the Sunday night so we took DS for a cocktail for his birthday at the Fisherman‘s Wharf bar. DS made his own one, vanilla syrup and apple juice. The barman put the ingredients and ice in a red plastic shaker and put it on the bar. Then made mine, a Monsieur Mouche, this was fruit juices and very nice too. DH had a 1664. The other barman was making a cocktail that needed a lot of shaking and DS was watching him and then asked if he could shake his, Tom Cruise watch out. The barman then took the top off Ds’s shaker and popped in a straw. We drank these looking out over the lake. Everyone was into bed by 10.30.

What a lovely third installment, Julie! It sounds like Rory had a great birthday, and that was a really sweet thing he said about the character birthday party and his Granny and Grandad! Awww! It sounds like you have a very grateful and thoughtful little boy. :flower: The birthday party sounds great and I kind of wish I were nine again and that someone would take me to it! Mm, chocolate cake.

Looking forward to part four! :flower:

Great report. Super little man. Mag?c end to the day.
It's what Disney is all about :sunny:

Reid

Sounds like Rory had an excellent birthday. The chocolate birthday cake is delicious but very gooey.our youngest dd had some last november and she was wearing a blue roll neck jumper which got absolutely smothered in it!

Awwww, what a great and memorable birthday for Rory! Looking forward to the next part.

Rhiannon :wizard:

What an absolutely super day! I felt the magic of DS's birthday.

Thank you so much for sharing with us Julie :)

It was a great birthday, it seemed to go on for the length of the holiday. I think the next holiday will have to be in March or October for DH's or my birthday. Fingers crossed.The cake was lovely, very gooey. We had it for supper that night and a bit more the next night too. Other parts of trip report will follow but it' taking me a while, please be patient with me.

This sounds daft but can adults have the birthday party, or is it just for kids? *getting ideas*

I don't see why not, although I think Rory was probably the oldest one that day. The rest all seemed under 5.Surely everyone's a big kid at Disney! The price is per person it doesn't say a childs price and an adults price.You can get the birthday cake on it's own as well at the end of a meal.

JulieH said:
Other parts of trip report will follow but it' taking me a while, please be patient with me.

You take your time Julie! It takes ages doesn't it?

Sounds like a lovely day Julie - what a wonderful place to spend a birthday! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter